Not Scheduled Need help deciding on which type of Hysterectomy to do! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need help deciding on which type of Hysterectomy to do! Need help deciding on which type of Hysterectomy to do!

Unread 07-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Need help deciding on which type of Hysterectomy to do!

Just went for my surgical consult today after the NP said I was a good candidate for hysterectomy (heavy frequent periods, fibroids).

I just had a laparoscopic Nissen Wrap done on June 22nd (surgery for hiatal hernia and acid reflux). The largest incision is still tender and I relayed this to my GYN. I'm feeling pretty good from the Nissen surgery, so she said since it would take a couple of weeks to get in for the hysterectomy I should be fine.

I am also having a TVT (Transvaginal Taping) done at the same time for urinary problems.

She told me she could go the Da Vinci robot route and that she would probably have to cut me where the larger incision was just done for one of the incisions or I could go with the vaginal surgery and my incision would be inside the vagina. She said either way was fine with her and she left the decision solely up to me.

I would appreciate any assistance or advice from those who have been there, done that. Once I make my decision, I'm suppose to call and get on the surgical schedule. I will be having a total hysterectomy (ovaries remaining).

Thank you in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Re: Need help deciding on which type of Hysterectomy to do!

Since I had a TVH (vag) and later a davinci BSO,(ovary removal) I can answer this from personal comparison. Although the TVH was technically the "bigger" surgery, I had less pain from it than from the davinci procedure, because the incisions are what hurt. For the TVH I took no narcs at home but took Aleve----there was pain, so I needed that. For the davinci I took Vicodin for 3 days, plus Aleve, then Aleve only. So to me, all things otherwise equal, I'd choose the TVH if I had to do it again. Obviously there's more than just pain to consider, but with the davinci it hurt to sit up, move around, etc, from the incisions, where with the TVH I didn't have that since no external incisions. A BSO and hyst don't totally compare but you get the idea. I hope this gives some help. Good luck with your decision, either one could go well.
Unread 07-19-2011, 03:33 PM

I just had the DVH and totally recommend it. I didn't have any additional work done but there were just 5 small incisions which never bothered me. I was in and out of the hospital in 35 hours, on otc drugs in 3 days and feeling good and almost normal in 4 weeks. Can't compare it to any other procedure but I think it was a great choice for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2011, 04:54 PM

Thank you for your insights. One thing I forgot to go over with my GYN is how she secures everything once the cervix is removed. I worry about organs prolapsing. I am still up in the air and torn. I've watched the Da Vinci done on You Tube and was impressed because they can view the entire pelvic area very well going this route. That makes me lean that way. But, because I just had the Nissen surgery, I still have a little discomfort from the incision she needs to go into and I worry that it could cause problems with my stomach wrap. It's a tough call for me.

So the more input the better. I think I will call her back tomorrow and asked her some of the questions I forgot to asked.

Also this vaginal cuff deal?!?!?! I am so confused.
Unread 07-19-2011, 04:54 PM

I had the da Vinci last week. I was concerned because I didn't want the belly incisions. The doc told me that he has so much better visualization with the da Vinci. He can clearly seem everything in 3D.... Can see the vessels, muscles, etc. I liked the idea that it was a safer surgery due to those reasons. I am 5 days post op. I only took percocet for 1 day. The last 2 days I haven't even had aleve. At this time I am thrilled that I had the da vinci.
Unread 07-19-2011, 04:56 PM

Forgot to add that this is a 2nd TVT (urethra sling) to be done. The first one weakened on one side so she has to do another complete sling. She said the first one is a permanent fixture.
Unread 07-19-2011, 05:30 PM

Either way you'll have a vaginal cuff---thats just where they sew things together when they take out the cervix. I hope your Dr can give you some good answers to help you decide.
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:08 PM

The vaginal cuff is how the surgeon secures everything and closes up the area that was the cervix. ( sorry that's not a good explanation) Look up vaginal cuff on the forum and it will explain it to you. My Dr. said that the organs are not going to move around. She said the uterus was pretty much insignificant except during pregnancy and not to worry about things dropping or shifing. So I'm not going to. Cheryl
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Need help deciding on which type of Hysterectomy to do!

Hi sammi67 - I had a total hysterectomy and a bilateral salpingo oopherectomy (removal of ovaries and Fallopian tubes) done using the daVinci robot on June 15th. I would definitely reccomend this method as there is less pain and less scarring too. I would warn you though that I had pretty severe pain in my shoulders after the surgery because of the gas they pump into you and the position you are in for surgery (practically standing on your head). Other than that things went very well - I spent the night in the hospital and went home the next day -- took Vicodin and Aleve for the pain the first 4 days and then just Aleve after that. I have 5 small incisions that weren't painful at all -- just a little sore the 1st week. After the first 2 weeks I felt pretty good - just tired from the anesthesia -- I would definitely recommend the daVinci procedure. Best of luck to you and best wishes for a speedy recovery
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:45 PM

I cant give any TVH advice, but I have loved my davinci experience. I only have 4 incissions for mine, and none of them had to go through my belly button...he went in just above it instead. The biggest pain was really just soreness, like I over exercised. Off pain meds during the first week. 2 wks post op today and Im feeling like the old me. Went back to work yesterday.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register