scared of gas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scared of gas scared of gas

Unread 01-25-2006, 09:49 PM
scared of gas

ok im going in tommorow the 26th and im afraid of the gas pains. i had my gallblader out awhile back and the gas pains were the worst part. the only thing that helped was walking, so iwas walking like i was in a marathon. im afraid i will to to sore to walk the gas out. im also a little concerned my doctor is on the granola side and said he only prescribes a high dose of motrin to take when i go home, has any body else only been prescribed motrin, did it work? wish me luck, say a prayer to if you want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2006, 10:48 PM
scared of gas

Hi (((mclidke))) What kind of hysterectomy are you having? The amount and type of gas varies a lot by individual and surgery type. I had a TVH, and what minor gas problems (intestinal) I had were manageable using Gas-X. Ladies with the laparascopic hysts can have a different type of gas because compressed gas is used to blow up the pelvic area so the laparascope can get a good view... and that gas tends to accumulate in pockets and take its time dissipating after the surgery. Gas-X does not help with that type of gas, though sometimes manipulation (putting onesself in different positions) can.

If you're having an abdominal hysterectomy, I would think that Motrin will not cut it for the pain. However, there's a chance with a vaginal or laparascopic surgery that it just might. Some DRs prefer to try that first because at least Motrin is not constipating the way the opiate pain meds are, and constipation is the enemy during the early recovery period. Don't hesitate to speak up, though, if you need something more. Even if you've already gone home, you can call the DR and they can call in some pain meds to your local pharmacy. I don't think your DR would want you to be in so much pain that your body can't relax and let itself heal.

Good luck with your surgery! I'll look forward to seeing you over in the Post Op forum

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-26-2006, 12:57 AM
scared of gas

im having a tvh as well. thank you so much for clearing up the dreded gas issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2006, 08:45 AM
scared of gas

Quote:
my doctor is on the granola side
OMG that is funny LOL. I have never heard it put that way.

I had the same thing when my gallbladder was removed. I found myself pushing the button and couldn't figure out why my incision hurt so badly. I pulled back the covers and my belly looked like the goodyear blimp. Maalox every 4 hours did not cut it either. Finally the dr ordered Maalox as needed so I finally got it to pass with mega doses of Maalox.

I am taking the advice of the ladies here and packing some gas x with me to the castle.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 01-26-2006, 09:03 AM
scared of gas

Make sure you take gas-x or phazyme with you to the hospital. I had a TVH too and the gas was minimal...my secret stash was just the ticket.

The nurses said they would have given me similar meds if I had asked...but who wants to wait?

Good luck and don't worry you will come through like a champ!

Jelle
Unread 01-26-2006, 10:23 AM
scared of gas

I had a TAH and the gas pains were not that bad. Just make sure to walk, walk , walk as soon as you are able. This will help the gas to move through your intestinal track and be released. I was prescribed Percoset and Motrin when I went home but I ended up just needing the Motrin for pain.
Unread 01-26-2006, 11:13 AM
scared of gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElle
Make sure you take gas-x or phazyme with you to the hospital. I had a TVH too and the gas was minimal...my secret stash was just the ticket.

The nurses said they would have given me similar meds if I had asked...but who wants to wait?
Most hospitals tell you either during your pre-op appointment or when you are admitted that you are not permitted to bring meds with you (even OTC) unless your DR has explicitly ordered it... for example, during other hospital stays since my hyst, I've had a note from my DR so they wouldn't remove my estrogen patch and not allow me to apply a new one

Please... it's important that you NOT try to self-medicate in the hospital. Your DR needs to be aware of each and every little thing (even OTC meds) that go into your body while you are under his or her care. The hospital will bring you Gas-X if you want it... I just had them bring me one on the tray with every meal, no problem.

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-26-2006, 01:16 PM
scared of gas

Didn't have much in the way of gas at the hospital. I made sure I walked a lot and they also had a rocker. As for pain, didn't really need very much. Threw away most of the pain meds a couple of days after I got home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register