Endo Biopsy, new here, very very anxious! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endo Biopsy, new here, very very anxious! Endo Biopsy, new here, very very anxious!

Unread 02-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Endo Biopsy, new here, very very anxious!

In November of last year, I had a transvaginal sono for some left abdominal pain. Nothing was found except a "slightly enlarged endometrium". It was recommended that I repeat the test which I did about 3 weeks ago. There is "no change", but the radiologist has now recommended an endometrial biopsy. I don't have pain anymore, no bleeding (just a thin discharge I've had most of my adult life) and am about 10 years post menopause. Needless to say, I've read many horror stories about this test, so I scheduled a consultation with the gynecologist BEFORE scheduling the test. I've done quite a bit of research about the use of anesthetics and such and would like to ask your opinion(s) about how to approach the doctor about the trauma of the test. Can it be done under conscious sedation? Will I look like a total fool for suggesting it? I suffer from a serious anxiety disorder which, of course, doesn't help! I feel pretty helpless, alone and afraid but see the doc tomorrow. I so appreciate anyone's support and replies...thank you so much. (I hope this is the proper forum for this post.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Re: Endo Biopsy, new here, very very anxious!

My biopsy used a block, plus I took advil ahead. I had no pain. But I've read a lot of biopsy posts and I know it can be all the way from painless to very painful. It is brief. I think the request for conscious sedation is reasonable but nurses need special training usually to administer those drugs. But they might agree to premed with maybe Percocet plus advil, and a dose of xanax or ativan. Plus I've heard of some cervical med used the night before to soften the cervix. Or maybe a block like I had. I'd definitely discuss those ideas if you're fearful. But keep in mind a lot of us had an easy time, so it may not be bad for you, either. I still think premeds are a reasonable request to be sure things go OK. You may need a ride if you get certain meds. I hope your experience is like mine. I stressed and was scared but it turned out easy. Let us know how it goes for you.
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:10 PM

Thank you so much...just hearing from someone is so comforting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2013, 02:41 PM

Dear MTT, I've had two endometrial biopsies and they were both performed in my gynocologist's office without any medication. Does it hurt, yes, but it is not anything that you cannot handle. It is an uncomfortable feeling when they pull down on the uterus to get the sample and then it is a quick draw through a tube for the actual sample. My first one hurt more than the second one did, but all in all, it is nothing that you actually need to have a consultation about. It is pretty much SOP for most gynocologists and it is a relatively quick procedure for one that is invasive. Good luck!
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:25 PM

Every woman responds differently. I've had several biopsies. For me they are uncomfortable and unpleasant, but not painful. I usually take 3 Advil and .5 Ativan about an hour before the procedure, and find it is not much worse than a pap. Some women get very crampy, but since I have labor like cramps during my cycles, the little cramping during the procedure is a breeze. Good luck!
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:52 AM

I didn't have any meds (the dr decided to do the test while I was in her office after hearing my symptoms, so no warning) and while it was painful, it certainly wasn't unbearable.
I get pain and cramping with pap tests, and the biopsy was sort of like a really intense pap test. I also had cramping for the next four days or so, but again, nothing that I couldn't handle with some advil and just taking it a little easy.
Everyone is different, of course. If I had to have another biopsy I might prepare by taking an advil, but I wouldn't stress too much if I forgot to take it, either.
Good luck!
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:24 AM

Hi there,

I just had this done 2 days ago, and like you, I read online a lot of horror stories and had myself in quite a "state" for this test....But, it's not so bad. My gyno gave me some pills to insert into my vagina 4 hours prior to test to help dilate my cervix, I also took 2 advils and 2 tylenol. Yes it was a little uncomfortable, but only slightly slightly worse than a pap and it was done soooo quick I didnt have time to panic or feel pain. Hope this helps. The best advice I can give is to relax (I know easier said than done) but it does make the process go much smoother. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register