Good news! - No hyst at this time! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives > Options and Alternative Success Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Good news! - No hyst at this time! Good news! - No hyst at this time!

Unread 02-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Good news! - No hyst at this time!

I came to this board several weeks ago after having found out I had an elevated CA 125 (53). My Gyn wanted to discuss hysterectomy right away. Thanks to many of you who replied, I asked for a referral to a Gyn/Onc. He determined that while my family hx was notable, we shouldn't panic and had me wait a bit and redo the CA 125. In the meantime, I'd fully prepared myself for the surgery and the surgical menopause. Well, he called me on Wednesday and my new test results were 12!! He said he felt that the higher reading was just a fluctuation that can happen (especially being premenopausal) and there was no indication of cancer or a need to do the surgery. He still thinks I should have the BRAC 1 & 2 done, so I've called about that today. I may have to pay for it myself, but I'm willing to do that.

I just really wanted to thank everyone. I feel very blessed, and not just because the test results were okay, but because I found this site, filled with wonderful sisters, and have learned so much in just a short time.

Thank you!!
Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2007, 12:12 PM

Cathy,

That is just fantastic. I am so glad that you did go and see a GYN/ONC and that the CA125 came back at a wonderful range. Lets hope that it continues to stay in those low numbers and shall never give a reason to be concerned again!!!!

Congratulations on that wondeful news :-)
Unread 02-23-2007, 12:41 PM

Always exciting news.

Are you going to get a CA125 every 3 months for a while? Might not be a bad idea. Infection can also cause a rise. I was dx with a CA125 and am a firm believer in following that trail.

So happy for you,
Juanita
Unread 02-23-2007, 12:46 PM

Sorry, also meant to tell you that my last CA125 a few weeks ago was 13 and I difinitely have a recurrence and scheduled for surgery.

I used to tell gals I did not want to scare them...now I realize this is too important to be gentle. Just be sure you get good follow ups and make sure you do not rely on just one test.

Was your dr just relying on the CA125...is that the only symptom you had? I cannot imagine jumping straight into a hysterectomy if the elevated CA125 was your only symptom.

Just my opinion,
Juanita
Unread 02-23-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I cannot imagine jumping straight into a hysterectomy if the elevated CA125 was your only symptom.
I have annual ultrasounds because of my family hx (mother died at 44 of ovca and sister was dx with breast ca at 41). I hadn't had the CA 125 for many yrs, but my new Gyn ordered it in Dec. I had an ultrasound (including transvaginal) when the results came back high, but it showed no abnormalities. I am asymptomatic for any gyn problems. I realize that isn't always a telling sign, but to answer your question, the hysterectomy would've been based solely on the elevated CA 125 (and family hx). Every Gyn I've had has wanted to take my ovaries out because of family hx. That's why I'm going to get the BRAC testing done. It's not 100%, but it'll give me (and them) more information.
Unread 02-23-2007, 01:38 PM

Hi Cathy. we always like to hear good news - yeah that your CA125 count went down to normal. Think you are doing the right thing re the genetic testing based your family history - good luck.
Now hope you did or will do a little celebrating :
s,
peggiesue
Unread 02-24-2007, 05:44 PM

Good newS! :
xoox
k9

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register