I am THIS close to cancelling surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am THIS close to cancelling surgery I am THIS close to cancelling surgery

Unread 05-11-2004, 06:00 PM
I am THIS close to cancelling surgery

I got a call this morning from my son's roommate telling me my 21-year-old son (diabetic) is having a seizure and he's called an ambulance. When I met him at ER I find that the doc-on-call has decided we're not dealing with an insulin reaction, but an epileptic seizure and NOW we've got to see a neurologist AND, according to state law, my son won't be able to drive for 90 days BECAUSE he's had a "seizure of unknown origin". We can't see the neuro until tomorrow morning. Three hours in ER with all kinds of tests and they can't stop his chest/back pain until I pitch a fit.

That was this morning.

So, this afternoon my oldest son (26) calls me from Vanderbilt where had some tests run today. HE'S got a mass in his abdomen and will be biopsied 6/11.

I just don't think I can handle surgery right now.

Inaminit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2004, 06:15 PM

I certainly can't tell you not to feel how you feel but you must care for yourself too. If your older son won't even be biopsied till about 4 weeks after you go in I'd go ahead. Neither of you can do anything until the results are in so try not to let it get to you. I know that's harder to do than to say as I have kids too.I also know I can't care for my family effectively if I am also "sick" all the time. As for the younger son I understand your concern. are they your only support at this time? Perhaps if they are able to give you a diagnosis point when you get to see the neuro the driving thing will be lifted or abreviated.I acn only say not to give in to doubt on your decision, it's just the edvil working his way into your mind. Give your concern, worry and doubt to God 'cause he's so much better at this than we humans are. He knows your cares and the love you have for your kids and thire love for you. It will all fall into place if you just trust no matter how hard it is to do. May God bless your family at this time in the face of so many challenges. We will pray for you so you may realise His plan for your family.
Tonya
Unread 05-11-2004, 06:18 PM

Wow, that's a lot to handle all at once. I don't think I can tell you either way what to do, but I think everyone would understand if you did cancel, including your doctor.

Just know that there are people here to support you and will understand whatever you choose.

I know if it were my sons I'd feel the same way you do.

I'll pray for you and your sons.

God Bless you !!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2004, 06:37 PM

First off s to you!!!

Second, no one can make that decision for you. My daughter had "a seizure of unknow origin" last year when she was 5 months old. Scariest thing I ever went through spending 8 days in the hospital waiting for word as to what was wrong... and they didn't find anything. A few weeks ago I had the same thing and they didn't find a cause, they said it was do to stress.

I hope everything is okay and we are here for you!!

Theresa
Unread 05-11-2004, 07:43 PM

I just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers as well as your sons. May God bless you and your family and give you healing and strength.

Tonja
Unread 05-11-2004, 07:48 PM

I tink you have to takecare of yourself first . I have coem to realise that i cant meet my family's needs if Imm sick ...and I am the only one taking care of the kids on a day by day basis .

I hope it works out ok and likely it will . Take it one day at a time (((HUGS)))

mei
Unread 05-11-2004, 08:16 PM

You are in my prayers. Like the other's, I have to say no one but you can make that decision. However, I do believe you have to take care of yourself before you can be of help to them.
Is there any other support besides you. A husband/Father. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I just hope that you have an emotional support for yourself. Not only emotionally but someone that can help take care of you after surgery and also be there for your sons.
Gosh, I am so sorry and my heart goes out to you. I have to say that no matter what you decide please keep us posted. We are all behind you. I hope that gives you a little comfort.
Please take care of yourself and I will be praying for all of you.
Take care
Nikki
Unread 05-11-2004, 09:32 PM

Gosh, I'm so sorry you're experiencing this now. I, too, came very close to cancelling my surgery. My mother had a stroke a few weeks before my surgery was scheduled, and she was in the hospital. I have no relatives in the area, so the burden on me was overwhelming. I was afraid I'd be on the operating table and she would die....

In the end I went through with it for the same reasons some of the other sisters have said: I realized I had to take care of myself so I could get the strength to care for Mom. If I postponed, in 3 or 4 months, I might be facing the same situation or worse. So I put her in God's hands and went through with it. She never even knew I had surgery.

It's a personal decision; I'll pray you make the right one.
Unread 05-11-2004, 09:41 PM

((hug)) good luck with your decision... that is a hard one. I hope that your sons will be ok.
Unread 05-12-2004, 01:11 AM
Inaminit

I'm so sorry this has all happened at once. Do you sons KNOW u love them? Of course they do and you can remind them just in case they've forgotton. Maybe talk to them about what u should do?

How can you look after them when u r unwell? Depending on how unwell u currently are. What a hard decision for you darling huuuuugs.

Do you have anyone who can help your sons while u have your op?

I pray for you and your sons. For our heavenly Father to guide you all lovingly and gently to make the right decision and to make you all totally healthy and full of life and love for each other.

Huuuuuggs

This too shall pass.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register