New Here | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-07-2002, 07:51 AM
New Here

I am having Hyst surgery next week OCT.17,2002. I was wondering if having ovaries removed as well as uterus is a problem with orgasims and lubrication. Can anyone that has had all removed please help me decide whether to keep one ovary or not. One ovary is clear no cysts but the other does have a cyst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2002, 08:03 AM
New Here

Hi, I had everything removed in July - 10 weeks ago & sex is still good , we don't seem to need any extra help although some do like the lubricant after a hyst. As far as keeping your ovary or not , I think that you should talk to your Dr to make that decision. Good luck, keep us informed s
Unread 10-07-2002, 10:30 AM
Welcome!

Hk, Niteangel! Welcome to HysterSisters! Sorry to hear you will have to have a hyst, but glad you found us. An ovary can still produce small amounts of beneficial hormones even after menopause, so many women decide to keep one or both ovaries if they are healthy. You can let your dr make the decision when he can inspect them during surgery, if you like. But if you are over 45, you should consider your risk of ovarian cancer. The risks are: starting menstruation before age 12, having first baby after age 30 (or no babies), infertility, and family history of breast or ovarian cancer (& possibly other cancers). It is a sticky decision to make, and there are different right choices for different women. Do your research and talk with your dr about it.

As far as vaginal lubrication and orgasms, if you find the right HRT for you, there should be no change--or even better response, if you're having abnormal bleeding and pain now. The trick is in finding just the right hormone balance. Many women have trouble finding the right kind and dose to make them feel good. If you don't want to take HRT, you can try lubricants and natural remedies like soy or black cohosh, but it is hard to take enough of those to make you feel like you did before ovaries were removed. Check out the Hormone Jungle and No Hormone Desert Oasis for more insight, and also go up to "search" and type in "keep ovaries?" or "orgasms" or other terms, to read past threads. I'm one of the lucky ones who feel great on Estrace, and didn't have much trouble finding the right HRT.

If you haven't read the pull-down menus for Ladies in Waiting, click on the HysterSisters logo in the upper left corner, and scroll down to find stories and hints that will help you prepare for your hyst and recovery. Feel free to ask any questions you think of, and we'll try to find answers. We will be here to support you on this journey! s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2002, 11:02 AM
New Here

Hi and Welcome to Hyster Sisters!

I had my surgery back in May of this year and I had everything removed...both ovaries and tubes, uterus and cervix. I didnt have a choice with my right ovary and I had been having pain with my left one even tho it looked ok so that one was my decision. It was also covered with adhesions and pulled up where it shouldnt have been. I was just exhausted from dealing with all my problems that started around the age of 17. I had always had a problem with PMS too and didnt want to deal with that anymore because I didnt like who I became in that time frame of the month. I am happy with my results. I am on HRT now and doing very well.

Anyway, I have never experienced a problem with lubrication or orgasm since my surgery. Things are pretty much the same as before, if not better. You just have to take it slow at first.

Now this is just my own decision and experience, not medical advice.

My thots tho on this would be to try and keep your good ovary if possible and to discuss this matter further with your doctor. This is your body and your final decision alone on what you keep or not.

I know this is a hard decision for you but I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us posted.

much & s
Unread 10-07-2002, 11:26 AM
New Here

Hi,

I had everything taken out 18 months ago and have not had a problem with dryness. For me hormone replacement and nutritional supplements have helped with interest in sex, in fact I had such a strong sex drive in reaction to the testosterone that I had to cut it back to once/week (although my husband loved it while it lasted!).

Good luck with your surgery. Be sure to take very good care of yourself post op.

Noel
Unread 10-07-2002, 03:02 PM
New Here

I want to thank you all for your responses so quickly and for the warm welcome. This is great that you have this forum here to help women through something as major as this.
I have heard through some women that they are cutting back on the use of HRT, and this is why my big concern on the ovary issue. My other question was is the drug HRT expensive ? I don't have a great income to support expensive drugs on a regular basis.
Unread 10-07-2002, 03:16 PM
surgery october 17,2002

Hi,
I had a total abdominal hysterectomy and had my ovaries removed, because I was borderline menopause and know that often women end up going back to have tubes and ovaries removed..

As far as orgasm, it has been very difficult to acheive. I did some reading and sure wish I had discussed leaving my cervix...

That makes a big difference with your sexual desire...If I had it to do all over again I would leave my cervix and let everything else be removed.

Also if you are having abdominal hysterectomy do buy yourself some supportive underware, it will make a world of difference when you get up and move around...

Good Luck..

Debbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register