Waiting for surgery date | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Waiting for surgery date Waiting for surgery date

Unread 03-28-2002, 10:58 AM
Waiting for surgery date

Hi all,

I saw the female OB/GYN today and she is surprised I haven't already had a hyst. She was very nice and took a lot of time with me for questions. As it turns out, her and my OB/GYN know each other. She said I certainly have enough reasons to justify having a hyst. I have been telling myself that I'm not in enough pain, often enough to justify it. Is this normal to justify away the reason to have a hyst done?

When I told my dr I wanted to go ahead with the hyst, he started asking about other 'tests'. When I asked him what other tests, he mentioned ablation (is that a test?) that he had told me probably wouldn't help much since he believes I have adenomyosis and my fibroids are mostly inside my uterine wall.

I reminded him that he said it probably wouldn't help much, but told him if he thinks there are other things we should do before doing a hyst, then let's do them. He started to suggest that I take medicine to stop my periods for a couple months to see if I am pain and pressure free during that time and that would justify a hyst resolving my problems. I must have not been making a happy face :nose: about it, because in mid sentence, he said, I think we are just biding our time so let's just do it.

I agreed. I told him I thought I would end up there anyhow and now there is a chance we can do a LAVH and if the adeno and/or fibroids get much bigger, we'll definitely have to do a TAH.

Second Dr. told me to be sure that my asthma is under control and have my regular Dr. involved to be sure my lungs are up to the surgery at that time because that is my biggest risk. She also said there is something they can do to lessen the risk of prolapse later, closing up something in the space where the uterus was and to mention my concern to my Dr. I forgot and will on my pre-op appt. April 26.

I will post when I get my date.

Guess that makes me a LIW?

Renee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2002, 12:20 PM
Waiting for surgery date

I am scheduled surgery on april 19th- What type of medicine did he want to put you on to stop your periods?
I was on Lupron injections for 11 months (which did stop mine) I didnt miss them whatsoever but they were other side effects. I personally didnt find the side effects as bad as the pain during periods. After I got off Lupron My endo. came back within 6 to 7 months.
I think all I was doing was prolonging the situation.
Anyway- GOOD LUCK and keep us informed.

~RuN-AbOuT~
Unread 03-28-2002, 05:58 PM
Waiting for surgery date

He never got to telling me what kind of medication. I suspect Lupron or something similar. I've read so much about the 'wonderful' (NOT) side effects of this drug that I really don't care to try it. I'm already on norethidrone (a progestin) 10 days out of my cycle for the abnormal bleeding.

Actually, this drug seems to help me with more sensation during sex, a bit more energy and less cravings for chocolate and sweets. Not sure if it is supposed to help in these areas, but the only thing new is this drug and Detrol. I don't think the Detrol could help in these areas, especially since it hasn't helped one bit for not having to get up all through the night to go to the bathroom. Didn't see how it could when I have fibroids laying on my bladder. But I am still taking it to see if it takes awhile to 'kick in.'

The other Dr (2nd opinion Dr.) thought it not likely that my fibroids are causing my ovarian pain. Said it was possible for them to get under the uterus, but not usually likely. The U/S tech and Dr (#1, my main OB/GYN) who actually saw the U/S said my uterus was pressing on my ovaries. Guess I'll find out once the uterus is out!

Thanks for responding! I know I'll need more support as the time gets nearer.

Renee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register