New and scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New and scared New and scared

Unread 06-26-2007, 07:55 AM
New and scared

I have had very heavy periods for two years now, but in the last six months, I have only had one period that has not stopped. I have tried the Mirena twice, two different bcps, Depo Provera shot....nothing changed.

Recently I tried two bcps per day, and that stopped the bleeding for two whole weeks, but it came back with a vengeance that ended with me in the hospital with a near emergency transfusion and hysterectomy.

They gave me high does Provera pills (10 mg for 10 days) and a shot of Lupron. I cried while they gave me the Lupron, I have heard such horrible stories about it.

Since Sunday (when I was in the ER) I have been a weeping mess.

The hemorhaging has slowed to bleeding, but when the heck is the Provera and Lupron supposed to kick in?

I have had a Endometrial Ablation booked since May 1st. Its date is July 19th. However, my doctor thinks there is only a 50/50 chance of it working seeing as I have fibroids and an enlarged uterus, so we also booked a Hyst (God, its hard to even write that word without starting to bawl) for October.

Has anyone else has an EA? Success or not? I guess not if we are on this board. I'm just looking for some support.

Thank you,

Despina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2007, 08:16 AM
New and scared

how old are you Despina
i have the heavy bleeding but I don't want to go through a series of THINGS that just don't work. That's why I'm here -- my doc apt is 7/9 (can't wait) and am going to schedule surgery and get this awful messy mess eliminated from my life!!

iwaveatcows in tx
Unread 06-26-2007, 08:20 AM
New and scared

I'm 40. I dont want to try things that dont work either, but the EA has been scheduled for a while, and should it work, its relief sooner than the Hyst that isnt scheduled (as a backup) until October.

The wait times in the Toronto area are longer than they seem to be in the US.

I too want this mess elimated from my life, but other messes will Hyst create? I guess I dont know much about it, other than its major surgery with a long recovery time, and an effect on menopause, right?

Also, what is everyone doing for the heavy bleeding? My bleeding gets so heavy that I have to go the ER on a regular basis - flooding and clotting...its so scary...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2007, 08:32 AM
New and scared

Despina, it sounds like you have a positively awful time of it with your bleeding and so on. I am so sorry to hear that. I think that the mess caused by a hysterectomy would be far less troublesome than what you are dealing with now. I had gone through menopause before my hsyterectomy so I haven't had the problems many have had but my natural menopause was not the horror stories I had heard about menopause either. Many times what we envision a situation to be is not what it turns out to be. We may only hear about the ones that have gone bad. Same with hysterectomies. It is not all bad and I am very glad I had mine done.

Keep us posted as to how you are doing and ask as many questions as you think of. Lots of very caring and compassionate women are on this site and loads of very good information.
Unread 06-26-2007, 08:33 AM
New and scared

Hi,
I havent had an EA but i am currently on prostap[ same as lupron] with livial hrt, i only had one period after my first shot and have not bled since I have had 3 shots so far and one more to go[ they are the monthly shots] and i feel 100% ok. These shots affect different people in different ways so give it time to settle in. If you feel really yuky on them you can always stop having them[provided you havent had the 3 month shot]. hope you start to feel better soon
Unread 06-26-2007, 08:56 AM
young and worried

i had a total hysterectomy done in december last year and am not enjoying it at ll. i lost interest in sex and thinking of cheating my husband to see if it will work. i take hormone replacemnt pills but i don't see any difference at all and have stopped for 11days now. am 30yrs old and wondering how long this is gonna last and when i'll enjoy my life again.i don't even know what to ask as i'm constantly worrying about many things.
Unread 06-26-2007, 09:06 AM
New and scared

I had an EA in late March.... it really slowed down the bleeding. I went from my flow consisting of heavy bleeding and large clots for about 7-11 days to currently only having spotting for about 2 days a month. If your only issue is bleeding the EA may help. My problem also involves significant cramping/pain which has gotten more frequent and severe since the EA. If heavy bleeding is your only issue, Iwould suggest giving the EA a try. It's good you have the Hyst tentatively booked so if the EA is not successful, you won't have to wait as long. But if the EA helps, you can cancel the hyst. Good luck!!
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:35 PM
New and scared

I had EA - Novasure in Dec.2006. My symptoms only got worse. I bled even heavier as if that was possible. By April, I was given a 3 month Depro-lupron shot to stop bleeding. No Luck. By the beginning of May, I had to have an emergency transfusion and received high doses of estrogen intraveneously for two days. Again very little success. It appears I had adenomyosis and a hysterectomy was my answer. I had SAH because my bladder is adhered to my cervix and i kept my ovaries.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register