Hormone Related Migraines - Keep ovaries or lose them? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormone Related Migraines - Keep ovaries or lose them? Hormone Related Migraines - Keep ovaries or lose them?

Unread 10-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Hormone related migraines...ovaries are now gone!

I had suffered from enormously debilitating migraines that were so 'connected' to my cycle that I was sure I didn't want to keep my ovaries. I had been having some perimenopausal symptoms for several years (I'm approaching 48) so I figured since I was already in the midst of the adventure...why not speed it up? My migraines had intensified to 25 out of 30 days every month...I had nothing to lose.

So far, the menstrual migraines have diminished but I still get an occasional stress- or other-related one.

My doctor was strongly in favor of getting them out....apparently they were a large part of my issue.

Best wishes to you....I know you'll do the 'right' thing for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Hormone Related Migraines - Keep ovaries or lose them?

I have "severe chronic intractable migraines". Or, that is what my neuro calls them. The gyno wants to take my ovaries and put me on transdermal HRT to try to help with the migraines.

Frankly, I am not willing to take the risk. My research indicates that fewer than 50% of the people that have surgical menopause reduce their migraines. Plus there is the addition of all the other issues surgical menopause and HRT bring.

But, I am an exception to most rules about migraines. Mine last for weeks at a time. I am non responsive to every preventative and combo we have tried for 10 years. So, I'm not advising anyone to make the choices I have. I'm just offering my own reasoning behind my decision.

Good luck and I hope whichever choice you make the monster is tamed.

This thread makes me want to ask. those of you that have migraines do you consider them worse or your "female issues" worse? For me it is the migraines first and formost in every aspect of my life. They rule my world.
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Migraines...ovaries gone!

Hi Countrysunshine!
Wanted to answer your question about whether the migraines were the bigger issue than the female problems. By FAR and without a doubt, the migraines ruled every aspect of life for me!

I don't respond to the prophylactic drugs to prevent migraine and I only use triptans when necessary. I was using them 25 out of 30 days prior to the hyster. I even entered an FDA study in 2006 for occipital nerve stimulators for migraine! I was desperate.

The hysterectomy has definitely helped...I know it's still early to make a firm statement about whether or not the missing ovaries are the magic potion, but so far, pretty great!

I am not taking any HRT. I didn't think it made sense to take the culprits out and then re-introduce hormones synthetically. My neuro-psych did say that if I chose to take HRT, Estrace would be a good fit for me with my issues.

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2007, 02:51 PM

Hello Ladies,

I too suffer from menstral related migrains. I am taking Relpax for them. It helps me tremendously. If I don't take medicine for my migrains, I get physically sick, and have to lay in a dark room - totally flat on my bed. No noise, no light, no nothing. The migrains are totally incapasitating.

When I was discussing my surgery with my gyn, I asked her opinion on leaving my one good ovary in (since I am only 44 yo). She told me that with my family history of ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, and having one close to dead ovary (with the 3 ovarian cysts covering it up almost totally), it would be best in my situation to remove both ovaries. The likelyhood of cancer coming back 20 years later is very real for someone with my family history. So I will have both ovaries removed. I am relieved because my neurologist told me that I would most likely loose my migrains with this surgery as well - yay! It will be so strange not to have a migrain each month.

I cannot imagine what it will be like not to be in so much pain all the time. But I sure am looking forward to experiencing that sensation. It will be a blessing from what I have experienced so far in my life.

Blessings Galore,
Roseptl

P.S. I am not sure of what is worse for me, the migrains vs the pain & mess of my monthly. Both are tied pretty much neck and neck. I just cannot remember a time when I wasn't in pain or sick during my monthly. And as I aged, my symptoms just got worse and worse.

The sad part for me was trying to find a gyn willing to listen to me, and treat my issues. I saw so many prior gyn's, who never even documented my pain issues, my migrains, nothing. Sure I have sonograms showing my ovarian cysts that I have had since I was a teenager. But like even my husband and friends say, "why would any gyn leave 3 cysts on any woman's ovary who has a sister who died of ovarian cancer, Grandmother with uterine cancer, and a mother with both breast cancer and uterine cancer?" I just shake my head with them as well. Trying to find a decent dr is like next to impossible these days. I guess when you take out a woman's organs you loose business. That is the only logic I can think of. And that is pretty sad.
Unread 10-22-2007, 05:24 AM

Roseptl,

I've never had contact with people like myself who've suffered so much with their monthlies & wicked migraines. I've always felt like I must be a wimp or brought this on myself. I'm not happy that you've dealt with these things, but so absolutely relieved to be validated by your experience. It took me 20 years to get someone to 'work on' a solution for my migraines. The GYN I have now, in addition to the neurologist she recommended will be recommended to everyone within an hour's drive because they LISTENED and sought a solution for me.
For me the migraines were most debilitating...I've been in that dark room, ear plugs, ice packs on head, heat pack on neck and bucket close by even with meds. Felt like life was being stolen from me each day I had one.

I can't imagine a Dr. ignoring the cysts with all the family history of cancer - that's unbelievable! I'm so sorry for your losses.

I pray that you and all the other's dealing with monthly and migraine pain find answers very soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register