Scheduled dVH/RALH Upcoming hysterectomy: At High Risk for Blood Clots | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: At High Risk for Blood Clots Upcoming hysterectomy: At High Risk for Blood Clots

Unread 03-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: At High Risk for Blood Clots

Hi,
My surgery is scheduled for April 19th and I found out a week ago that I have a very high PTT time which relates to the clotting of the blood. I have what is call a Lupus Anticoagulant. My Hematologist told me today that I am at very high risk of blood clots and I will need to have an injection of Lovenox before surgery and for a couple of days after surgery. This is supposed to help prevent the formation of blood clots, but it will cause more bleeding during the surgery. This is just adding to the anxiety I have already been feeling about the surgery itself. Wondering if anyone else has had anything like this come up for them? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Re: At High Risk for Blood Clots

Have you been diagnosed with Lupus?
Unread 03-23-2016, 12:07 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: At High Risk for Blood Clots

No I haven't. They tested for lupus and fibromyalgia but I don't have either. The Lupus Anticoagulant is a prothrombotic agent, so I am at high risk of blood clots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2016, 01:35 PM

Hi Sherif,

While I don't have personal experience with this issue, I just wanted to offer you support. I am hoping other gals who have dealt or are currently dealing with the possibility of blood clots, will weigh in.

Your doctor does not want to scare you I'm sure, but I can certainly understand how frightening absorbing all this information must be for you. I believe your doctor is being very thorough and honest with you as he is advising you of how to prepare.

Here is an article that may help you understand things a bit clearer:
Dealing with Post Surgery Blood Clotting/DVT

This article also includes tips for you to be aware of after surgery.

Please ask questions as more knowledge helps reduce the fear.

Hugs and you can and will do this.

We are here for you on your entire journey - you are not alone.
Unread 03-23-2016, 01:48 PM

I understand your concerns. I'm at a higher risk of blood clots. My concern is stroke. I spoke with my hematologist and he has a plan for me with the surgeon, so that really made me feel better. And, I know more bleeding during the surgery is scary, but they know how to deal with extra bleeding. Talk to your surgeon. You have a whole team there to care for you.
Unread 03-23-2016, 02:23 PM

Thank you Marciamae! That was a helpful article.
Thank you maiathena! Unfortunately, my surgeon is on vacation this week so I will have to wait until next week to talk with her. I think that might be part of why I'm feeling so anxious about it. Not being able to discuss it with her and knowing the plan. I wish you well next week!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register