Good News...No Bowel Prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Good News...No Bowel Prep Good News...No Bowel Prep

Unread 10-14-2007, 05:44 PM
No Bowel Prep! Is that normal???

Went to my Pre-Op on Friday and DR told me i would not have to do any bowel prep or emema! Is that normal? I thought that was a given. He said it wasn't necessary for a LAVH. I've read lots of stories here about how nasty the stuff was they make you drink and was shocked to learn I didn't have to do that. Hope I don't make a mess on the table or anywhere else. I would be mortified! Just curious. Will be soooo glad when this week is over. Need a nerve pill. Think the thought of a catheter is worse than anything else at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Don't sweat it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanybrad
Went to my Pre-Op on Friday and DR told me i would not have to do any bowel prep or emema! Is that normal? I thought that was a given. He said it wasn't necessary for a LAVH. I've read lots of stories here about how nasty the stuff was they make you drink and was shocked to learn I didn't have to do that. Hope I don't make a mess on the table or anywhere else. I would be mortified! Just curious. Will be soooo glad when this week is over. Need a nerve pill. Think the thought of a catheter is worse than anything else at the moment.
I had a TAH a little over a year ago and didn't have any bowel prep. Every doctor is different I think. If you would make a mess on the table I really don't think they would tell you that it happened. As far as the cath. Don't worry about it either. You will be asleep when they put it in and you will be on pain meds when it comes out. I didn't feel a thing. Once it's all over you will wonder why you worried so much I did the same thing. Good Luck. It truly is better on the other side. I am glad I did it when I did.
Unread 10-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Good News...No Bowel Prep

I had to do bowel prep before my TAH. I was having BMs right up to the last minute. About 30 minutes before surgery, the nurse had already inserted the IV and given me a sedative and I was still running to the bathroom.

I, too, was worried about making a mess on the operating table but, as mentioned, if I did, no one said anything about it to me.

(The magnesium citrate I had to take is not nearly as nasty tasting as golytely for a colonoscopy.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2007, 07:10 PM

I had LSH and no bowel prep. Whew!
Unread 10-14-2007, 07:18 PM

I had a TAH and no bowel prep. We are the lucky sisters! Sherri

43yrs (TAH)
Unread 10-14-2007, 08:20 PM

I thought bowel prep was done to avoid problems in case of an accidental bowel perforation. Heck. Pooh is probably the least of your worries if you have a perforated bowel.
Unread 10-14-2007, 08:30 PM

I think the bowel prep is a precaution in case they "nick" your bowel, as SmilingPrincess says. I think it's also important if any kind of cancer is suspected.

I thought everyone did it (since I did it) but it really sounds like "doctor's preference."
Unread 10-14-2007, 08:31 PM

I didnt have a bowel prep either just to eat light .. woohoo no bowel prep is good cause they are no fun LOL
hugs
Lisa
Unread 10-14-2007, 08:45 PM

Thank ya'll so much for all the response. I feel better about it now. I hadn't read anything on this site saying otherwise. Will probably take a laxative and drink Slim Fast or make a trip to Smoothie King the day before just in case. On another note, did any of ya'll wear any makeup to the hospital? I NEVER go anywhere without some on (My mom is the culprit of that one...she always made sure we had some on whenever we went somewhere in public..."Never know who you'll run into".) I know I will probably feel like *!#$ the day of surgery, but would feel better if I didn't look like it also!
Unread 10-14-2007, 08:50 PM

No bowel prep for me, either. I have instructions for light meals the day before and nothing to eat after midnight. I can have a WHOLE CUP full of liquid between wakeup and my check-in at 10:00 a.m. As for makeup, I was told to wash the morning of surgery with no eye makeup, no lotions or perfumes and only a wee bit of deodorant. And my mom NEVER left the house without her hair done and makeup on. And up until recently, I was the same way. Now? I say, bump that. It's not like I'm going to run into Bruce Willis at the local A&P! Heh.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register