painful intercourse at 6 weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

painful intercourse at 6 weeks painful intercourse at 6 weeks

Unread 04-20-2006, 04:03 PM
painful intercourse at 6 weeks

I had a vaginal hysterectomy 6 weeks ago (I kept my ovaries). At the same time, I had a hernia repaired in the vaginal wall between my vagina and my colon. I just had my 6 week checkup and my Dr gave me the okay for sexual intercourse. Even though I made sure everything was very lubricated, I found that having intercourse was pretty uncomfortable and somewhat painful because of soreness from the incisions. Has anyone else experienced this? I am a little concerned and hope that the pain will go away with time. I was really surprised that it hurt so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2006, 04:18 PM

Hi AbbyBelle

6 weeks isn't a magic number that says "you are all healed" and even with the DR giving you an okay to resume intimacy it doesn't mean that there isn't a small, or large, degree of uncomfortableness.

Only you will be able to say you are ready and feeling great. Some women wait another couple weeks after the DR has given the green light because they don't feel healed enough. I waited well past my 8th week.

Try again in another couple days or a week and see how you feel then. My DR described it to me as "ripping a scab off a wound"...so...

I am sure that you will feel better in time.

Autumn
Unread 04-20-2006, 04:36 PM

Hi AbbeyBelle - my doctor gave us the go ahead at 5 weeks and I had a TAH so not as invasive in the vaginal area as you. She did warn us that there might be pain and bleeding the first few times and that if there was any pain to wait a bit before trying again so that it didn't put you off altogether. It was a bit uncomortable the first time and it has gradually got better though still in the early stages really! Good luck and I'd wait a bit and try again like Autumn Moon said the magic 6 weeks isn't the same for everyone. I've not seen a stitch yet and I am nearly 9 weeks! Good luck x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register