Hysterectomy coming 3/20... what do I need?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy coming 3/20... what do I need?? Hysterectomy coming 3/20... what do I need??

Unread 03-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Hysterectomy coming 3/20... what do I need??

I am pleasantly shocked at how quickly I was able to get on my gyno's surgical schedule once she and I made the decision to go for the hysterectomy. I just saw her for our pre-op exam and discussion, then the scheduler called that afternoon and had a spot for me as early as THIS Monday, but I needed more time to get my ducks in a row. So it'll be in a bit over a week on 3/20.

I've got fibroids and they are ruining my life. I've had my period for FIVE MONTHS STRAIGHT. Not spotting...bleeding straight up! I am single handedly keeping the Playtex Corp in business. Prior to this I had years of "irregular periods" that came and went as the wind blowed. I tried Mirena (which I think was the thing that totally ruined me), and several different birth control pills. Nada. I'm fortunate to not have the pain and cramps to go with it, but when it's the time of the month my period is SUPPOSED to be here, I go from normal bleeding to practically hemmorraging. The clots are massive. I bleed through the ultra-mega tampons AND a panty liner in an hour or less. I've ruined clothes, bedding, vacations. I just can't anymore.

Anyway! So What can I have at home or in the hospital to make things easier? Will I need ice packs? I know about getting some over size cotton granny panties. Should I bother bringing a night gown or night shirt to the hospital since it's only an overnight? I suppose I can handle wearing a gross hospital gown for one night LOL? I've got sweatpants and sweat shirts for at home, but should I buy bigger sized ones?

I've had surgery before (spine surgery twice before) so I'm no stranger the anesthesia, recovery (the issues anesthesia can cause with going potty), etc....

Just never had to stay in the hospital overnight, and never had actual organs removed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2017, 10:55 AM
Re: Surgery coming 3/20...what do I need??

My hysterectomy was abdominal, so it came with a three-day hospital stay - and I hadn't stayed overnight in a hospital since I was an infant. I was more worried about the hospital stay than the surgery itself!

As it turned out, I had quite a pleasant stay. My roomie was quiet, and the staff was caring and kind.

I suggest going with the hospital gown and the mesh underwear they provide. Let someone else do the laundry while you rest and relax. :-)
Unread 03-09-2017, 04:18 PM

My uterus is fighting back LOL! Cramps are pretty bad right now (and cramping hasn't even been one of my issues!). Plus my period is supposed to hit day after tomorrow (last active BCP) but it's revving up hard right now (though technically I haven't stopped having a period for 5 months and have been bleeding straight through).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2017, 08:00 PM

Hi Mimi76 -

For the hospital stay, I would just use the gown they provide - they usually require it anyway. You will need your cell phone and charger. Here are some other ideas: What to Take to the Hospital for Hysterectomy.

For home, you will need to prepare your household for your downtime. Here are 10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy. Be sure to read the related articles. What I found most useful were the following:
-Meals in the freezer that can be put in the microwave
-Easy foods for breakfasts and lunches
-Loose fitting clothing
-Prepare your recovery corner with pillows and blankets.
-Small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes
-Super clean your house
-Get your hair cut

I did not use granny panties, and just used my normal underwear (french cut briefs). The key is to not have the waistband rub on your incisions.

Unread 03-09-2017, 10:01 PM

[QUOTE

Anyway! So What can I have at home or in the hospital to make things easier? Will I need ice packs? I know about getting some over size cotton granny panties. Should I bother bringing a night gown or night shirt to the hospital since it's only an overnight? I suppose I can handle wearing a gross hospital gown for one night LOL? I've got sweatpants and sweat shirts for at home, but should I buy bigger sized one?

Just never had to stay in the hospital overnight, and never had actual organs removed![/quote]

Hello,
My LVAH was just over 3 weeks ago.
I actually found and still find nightgowns to be more comfortable than anything else. I have 4 stomach incisions and not having a waistband has been very comfortable. My incisions are all healed now (but still itchy) and I put a pair of pj bottoms on today and I didn't care for it. So I suggest having nightgowns for the house. Ice packs are good to put on the incisions.
I actually have been wearing my regular underwear from day 1 and haven't had any problems.
I wore a hospital gown so I am not sure about bringing something to sleep in. I do suggest ear plugs!
Unread 03-14-2017, 06:39 AM
Re: Hysterectomy coming 3/20... what do I need??

Good Morning, I am 11 days post vaginal hysterectomy with vault repair and bladder sling, I highly suggest making sure you have a stool softener and laxative ready. I also have had several surgeries before, but this one is a little different, absolutely no pushing when trying to have a BM. I did stool softener prior to surgery to try and prepare, and it didn't help at all. Between the pain meds and the anesthesia i was completely stopped up. After a suppository, 2 enemas, my pharmacist explained that unless you have something that will stimulate your bowels, all the softeners in the world won't matter. He recommended Senekot-s which is both stool softener with a stimulant, all I can say is that since I started the Senekot-S, life has been so sweet.

I just wished someone had told me this prior, would've saved me a couple of days of sheer hell !! lol Good Luck, recovery is really not bad, Im bored and looking for projects already
Unread 03-14-2017, 09:51 AM

Hi,

the absolute best thing I bought before surgery was a pair of maternity jeans, the type that have the stretchy bit that cover the whole belly...I wouldn't be without them, almost 6 weeks post op and still can't get my usual jeans on comfortably with the swelly belly...

This is just because I just don't look good in joggers and have to do the school run...makes me feel a bit more normal!

Good luck with your op xx
Unread 03-14-2017, 12:26 PM

I had surgery yesterday. I packed a well prepared overnight bag. Seriously the only thing I used from it was my cell phone charger, chapstick, and lifesavers. I feel like having your "space" at home is most important. At the hospital they have almost everything you could ever need. At home there are not nurses to be at you beck and call.
Unread 03-14-2017, 12:48 PM

They provided me with a compression band at the hospital, it does feel amazing !
Unread 03-14-2017, 01:04 PM

Today is the 18th day after my hysterectomy. Mine was an abdominal surgery and my story sounds a lot like yours. Since I was undergoing an abdominal hysterectomy, my insurance and my Dr. approved a two night stay. Here is what I found most helpful during my hospital stay and recovery at home.
Just wear the hospital gown...I know, it's not soft and silky, but that will be the least of your cares. I do however strongly suggest you pack a robe. My surgery was on a Friday morning and I was up walking the hospital halls Friday night by 11:00. You will want that robe since you will be making many hallway walks.
A pillow and an ice pack on your abdomen will be your best friend, when you have to cough, sneeze and even pass gas, press down on the pillow for support - it's gonna hurt, but it does get better.
I was able to wear my regular underwear once I got home and I still mostly wear loose fitting yoga pants or leggings.
Take your pain meds as directed, you will want to stay ahead of the pain for the first few days at home. Also. ask your Dr. about taking Colace or another stool softener, you won't regret it once that time comes.
That's all I can think of now, but I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you may have. I wish you well with your surgery, you'll be fine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register