sick spouse | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-31-2004, 10:37 PM
sick spouse

My surgery is planned for February 6th. My husband is in a short time rehab facility after a nasty infection in his leg. I will be home alone pre and post op surgery. Any suggestions for me. I am 63 years old and do enjoy my own company but I could use some helpful hints about what to have easily available to me at hoem. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2004, 10:49 PM
sick spouse

Look at the posts on here that have suggestions, but here are some of the things that I did. I am not alone all the time but have been most of the day. I had my bedside stand all ready with books, radio, reacher, medications, water bottle and some treats . I washed up a lot of laundry so that I'd have towels, wash cloths, underwear, etc. I stocked up on easily prepared foods like canned soup, frozen hash brown cakes, eggs and mac and cheese mostly because I love it. I had my laptop all plugged in and by the bed. We got a new TV for the bedroom since the one that was in there was pretty much shot. I hope that you can have someone stop in to help at least a little. I have had some help and it really has been appreciated. Good luck and God Bless you.
Unread 01-31-2004, 10:49 PM
sick spouse

Hi,
Some of the things that i found helpful having was a grabber, you can get them at walmart, target, k-mart. It seemed as though the minute you cannot bend over because of a stomach full of stitches, is the moment when you drop everything, and can not pick it up, they are also great for reaching things on a high shelve. I found having a pen and paper by the phone was very handy, tissue on the coffee table, books, dvd's or tapes and of course the all important remote control and the tv guide. i bought tons of bottle waters, juices and cans of sodas. For meal's the first few days I ate light foods, that were all ready prepared like jello cups, yogurt, fruit cups. As I felt better I had frozen lasagna, tuna, soup anything that i could pop in the micro wave, or just open out of the can. I did have gas-x also, you will need it to help with the gas. I also went to old navy and bought some draw string pants, which were great, and now almost a year into my surgery I wear they to bed in this freezing cold Massachusetts weather we are having. It might be a good idea if you can have a friend or family member come and check on you for the first few days, and maybe they can bring in your mail, and just make sure everything is ok. Best Wishes on your upcoming surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2004, 09:52 AM
sick spouse

Hi lenoxlady,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!!

While I'm sorry that you are facing surgery, I am glad that you found HS and posted to introduce yourself. You didn't say why you need to have your surgery, but if it's not being done because of a life-threatening reason, is there any way that you could post-pone until your DH is at home and feeling better? You won't be allowed to drive for at least 2 weeks or more, and you should spend most of your first couple of weeks at home, resting. I'm worried that you may feel that you should be with him in the rehab facility, and won't give yourself enough time to heal.

The ideas that the others have given you are great, and the Pre-Op Hints and the Post-Op Hints are also full of great advice that will help you to prepare for your surgery and recovery.

I hope you'll continue to read and to post any questions that you may have - we'll do our best to help.

's

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register