Positive experience...abdominal hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Positive experience...abdominal hyst Positive experience...abdominal hyst

Unread 04-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Positive experience...abdominal hyst

I had a radical hysterectomy and my doctor also took my appendix. This was major surgery and it wasn’t a walk in the park, but I was able to get through it pretty easily and I wanted to share some thoughts with those who are waiting and who are terrified. I was terrified, too, but there was no reason to be and I wasted a lot of energy on that.

I understand complications can happen to anybody, and I hope none of you have to deal with that. If I can come through major surgery like this, you can too. I hope by hearing my story I can comfort at least one person. I know when I was waiting I needed to hear good stuff.

PRIOR TO SURGERY
If it is at all possible, don’t put anything on your calendar. I realize with school getting close to being let out and summer vacations coming up, that may not be possible at this date. My surgery was March 21st and I just didn’t put anything on the calendar. I planned for a 6-8 week recovery period and whenever anything came up, I said I didn’t want to commit to it without knowing how I would be feeling. That helped because I could focus only on my healing and not have to stress out about other things. You really are the most important thing right now, so make arrangements for things to be taken care of. We are women, and we take care of everything and we worry. If you plan really well, you can sit back and worry about YOURSELF.

DAY OF SURGERY AND HOSPITAL STAY
The biggest thing you can do is to look forward to getting it over with, and if you are focused like that, you really won’t be that scared. Also, don’t come on this board and read about people like me who are weeks out from surgery and think, “wow…I have to wait TWO WEEKS, or FIVE WEEKS or SIX MONTHS before I feel normal again???” Just focus on the immediate stuff like, getting out of recovery and settled into your room. I couldn’t wait to get to my room after recovery. And then, do everything you can to walk around so those bowels will start working. The minute they say “get up,” then you get up. And keep getting up, even though it’s a major effort just to coordinate all the tubes and hookups. Then you’ll be focused on getting the heck out of the hospital. Take little baby steps each day, focusing on the next big effort.

GETTING HOME
This is the single greatest thing in the whole world (to me, anyway). After being at a hospital where nurses bug you for vital signs and you are connected to this, that and the other thing, coming home to YOUR PLACE where you can put on your comfy clothes and lie in your comfy bed or recliner and watch your TV, see your animals and family, eat your own food…my gosh, it’s absolutely heaven on earth after surgery. You still may not be able to get comfortable or sleep, but you’ll be miserable at your own home.

FIRST WEEK
I didn’t feel like doing anything that first week. My mom was with me. She cooked and cleaned and she served me meals and I thought that was great. I went and took a nap every day, and the rest of the time I just watched television and took pain meds. The only walking I did was between the bed, bathroom and den … and I walked around the house a little bit to get muscles moving and keep from getting stiff. You WILL get stiff when you are sitting for even a minute so it’s important to move around. You will be sore all over your surgical site and you will feel like you have a bowling ball attached to your lower belly. But there is a great sense of power and control when you push yourself out of a chair or out of a bed and walk around, or just stand at the window.

SECOND WEEK
My mother in-law came and honestly, I didn’t need her. I still couldn’t cook or clean, but I was feeling well enough to fix small meals for myself. I still went to lie down every afternoon, although I didn’t fall asleep every time like I did the week before. Walking was easier and I started using the stairs and going outside a few times. Towards the end of the week, my husband took me out for drives and so I could walk around the grocery store…but I didn’t pick up anything heavy. My soreness and pain moved to the right side of my abdomen.

THIRD WEEK
During this week, my mind was tired of being cooped up and felt like I wanted to get out of the house, but my body was having an argument and didn’t care to go anywhere. Walking was easier, but I moved really slowly. I didn’t lie down every afternoon and when I did, I didn’t sleep…I would just lie there and rest. I started driving during this week with a pillow between my seatbelt and belly. I went to the store when I needed to. My soreness and pain moved to my vaginal cuff area.

FOURTH WEEK
That was last week and I noticed walking was at a more normal speed. I have gone to several events and have eaten out. Each time I make sure to have plenty of rest beforehand and come right home to get comfortable and put my feet up. My abdomen doesn’t “pull” or feel as heavy as it did the previous weeks. I have bouts of complete fatigue, especially in the afternoons, and I took a nap the other day for the first time in a couple of weeks. I still haven’t done any cleaning because I don’t want to pull anything.

FIFTH WEEK
I will be 5 weeks post-op tomorrow and I just had a doctor visit where I was cleared for baths and sex. I still have some internal stitches but the doctor said I am 70-80% healed. Honestly, I feel pretty good…fatigue is my biggest problem. I am obviously still aware that I have had major surgery but I’m moving a lot faster, I don’t get as tired, and my abdomen is not nearly as sore or swollen as it used to be. The pain comes and goes. It feels like nerves are regenerating and every once and a while I’ll get a big “tug” that takes my breath away but it is usually just a flash of discomfort. Afternoons and evenings are still the worst, but they aren’t as bad as they used to be.

You have to take baby steps and focus on each day, not on down the road. This is a long recovery, especially when you have an abdominal done. If you look ahead at “6-8 weeks of recovery” it seems like a lifetime…but it goes really quickly. I have rested A LOT. I have walked, but not overdone it. I have cooked only small meals that take a short time to prepare. I’ve rested when I am tired. I’ve had others in the house do chores and pick things up, no matter how much the mess has bothered me! I’ve had my moments of frustration and strange moods but overall, each day has been better than the last. I know those of you who are waiting are really scared. Figure out what you are scared about and ask the ladies on here to elaborate on their experiences…that will help.

Above all, BE PROUD of yourself. Whether you have an easy time of it or not, this is something really difficult to go through and you should be proud that you did it. You will be amazed at what your body can do (both good and bad!), but make sure you give yourself credit for being so strong.

The best thing you can do for yourself is commit to getting better and taking care of you. Don’t dread the surgery…just think of the health and happiness you will find once you have it done and you are recovered! I wish all of you luck, and if you ever want to talk, just let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2007, 03:10 PM

horizon-
What an inspiration to all of us ladies in waiting!! I am scheduled for a tah with rso three weeks from today. I have been trying to cram so much in to these three weeks to make sure I don't miss out on things and let my kids down. I think about the surgery 24/7 and all the what if's. I am driving myself crazy. Not to mention those around me. I 'm one of those who does for everyone else. I don't take a whole lot of time for me so this will take a lot of getting used to. Thanks for sharing your story. I will try to take those baby steps you talk about. Hugs to you!
Unread 04-24-2007, 03:12 PM

Wow. Just wow. Thank you so so so much for sharing. And you are right about dreading the surgery, it's in my every waking thought. I'll try to do better.

I just plan on reading your story and recovery many times. It is about the most calming and easy to read story I've read on this site.

thank you so much again.

Vuebird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2007, 03:24 PM

Horizon - that was such a kind and generous post to all of us ladies in waiting! Thank you for putting it in perspective. You are so right - it is about the baby steps and patting ourselves on the back for coming through such a major surgery. I'm heading in for a TAH (no BSO) and I, too, am just looking forward to the small things. We all need to realize that this is our time to rest and recuperate and the healing will follow. Get that ladies - let the dust bunnies grow. I'm already practicing.

Best to all the May ladies - my prayers are with you all!
Unread 04-24-2007, 04:15 PM

I am 11 days post op and can relate with Horizon's first 2 weeks. I had an abdominal hysterectomy with one ovary removed. I was anemic from all the blood lose from the fibroid and very thick uterus lining. I had to be given blood when they started my surgery because I was low on blood. (Doctor told hubby after surgery was over and I plan to ask more info on this at my 2 week check up) Walking as soon as you can is the key I think. The nurses made me get up to change my bedding but only moved me to a chair next to the bed...was hard to get out of bed...you have to find the right way to do it. Second time they had me go to the bathroom because they took the cathider out and again it was hard getting out of the bed. But then a nurse offered to take me for a walk down the hall and I went - it eliminated the gas pains I was having and then next time I got out of bed it wasn't really that hard to do. Moving got easier after each walk. I walked about every 2 -3 hours during the day. Friday the day of my surgery the doctor ordered shots for the pain medicine I didn't have a pain control pump. I had my surgery at 7:30 am and throughout the day I used 3 shots of pain meds. Saturday doctor changed to pills...I used 2 all day. I developed a low fever. On Sunday I couldn't go home because of the temp so I kept up on my walking routine. No pain meds on Sunday but I did have tylenol for the temp and a headache. On Monday I was finally able to go home. The nurse suggested I take a pain pill for the ride home...I recommend this...bumpy roads suck big time (LOL). I rested alot the first week and adventured upstairs to shower each day...stairs got easier each time too again you have to find the right way to do them with least amount of pain. The pain pill at the hospital for the ride home has been my last one. I have take some Advil but didn't feel the need for the demerol. On Sunday (day 10) I did go to Church but as Horizon said I rested the rested of the day. Today (day 12) I went to the store with hubby and had to slow him down....walking at a much slower pace still. But I am an at home mom and hubby had to go back to work yesterday afternoon (he works nights..leaves 3pm - returns 8 am). I have 4 girls 11, almost 8, 4 1/2, and almost 2. We managed ok...my mom made soup and I just reheated it when the 2 oldest came home from school and made grilled cheese. My oldest helped with clean up and with getting the baby into her crib at night. I have some lower back pain...I think from too much laying around but can't help that. But you have to set your own recovery pace based on the amount of pain you have...everyone is different....but I recommend walking as soon as you are allowed and don't forget that pain meds also cause bowel problems too. As does the iron pills for the anemia. Good luck to evryone - just think happy thoughts it is almost over and have faith in your doctor.
Unread 04-25-2007, 01:41 AM

For all the ladies in waiting, please also consider a shower chair. You will not BELIEVE how big of a help this is. Who knew showering could be so tiring. Even if it is a lawn chair, put it in the shower.

Also, get a grabber to help you pick things up. Or, just let them STAY on the floor. NO BENDING.

Having 8 of these abdominal surgeries, I feel like a pro, lol.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register