What will I need to buy?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What will I need to buy?? What will I need to buy??

Unread 06-24-2010, 02:10 PM
What will I need to buy??

What all things do I need to buy before my hysterectomy. I have already ordered perfect pocket abdominal binder, but I don't know what else I will need. I am having a laperscopic hysterectomy....jut my uterus. Any adivce would be helpful....I need all the help I can get!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Re: What will I need to buy??

hi sunshine- i had my hysterectomy a little over a year ago.... here are a few things that i found were helpful-
* a mush pillow( a soft mushy one) for the hospital and for the car ride home- i held it to me and it helps so much ( when i would go to the bathroom or cough)!! also put it under the seatbelt; it doesn't hurt as much
*comfy drawstring pants/sweats
*Boost in the house because i wasn't hungry and i needed some protien
* have a heating pad just in case - i used mine a lot in the beginning
Those are just a few things that i couldn't do without!! I hope that helps
Unread 06-24-2010, 04:36 PM

All of those listed above are what I would say, especially the drawstring shorts/pants/sweats. Also some thin pads for the discharge. I had a TVH so maybe the discharge is different - I'm not sure.

Good luck with your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2010, 04:42 PM

Foods that are easy to prepare and eat. I lived on soup, toast, crackers, jello, orange sherbet, yogurt, cottage cheese, baby carrots, and dried fruits the first week. You definitely need Gas-x pills, stool softeners, and maybe some Dulcolax suppositories for if you can't go on the 3rd or 4th day. Oh the pillow is a must. I got a small travel pillow made of down and it really helped to support my stomach without hurting it. I now use it to sit on when I have to sit in a chair for any length of time.
Unread 06-24-2010, 05:00 PM

I asked my GYN surgeon about a binder and he said he'd check--the hospital he was at in TX used them but he had never had anyone ask about them. If they don't have them then I'll get one from this site (the swelly belly thing).

Oh -- If you have a Family Dollar around (I'm in the south) -- they have these capri/workout/yoga type pants by Zoey & Beth for $6/pair! I bought 4 pair b/c they will probably get stained, etc....but I'm wearing them now and they are wonderfully comfy!

KWard--thx for the food list - need to start working on that list as well!
Unread 06-24-2010, 07:13 PM

Thank you ladies so much for all of the great information. I am glad that I have wonderful ladies like ya'll for support! HS is truly a God send!
Unread 06-24-2010, 08:26 PM

Things I got that were useful: small soft pillow, comfy capri pants one size too big, grabber tool (keeps me from bending to get things off the floor, it came in really handy my first day home alone!), a notebook to keep track of my meds, gas-x meltaways, stool softeners, heating pad, chocolate!

Things I wish I bought before my surgery: more easy foods/meals, sun dresses (I couldn't stand anything touching my belly and it was HOT out, as soon as I was feeling well enough to shop I bought myself a bunch, they're so much more comfortable than pants/shorts).
Unread 06-24-2010, 08:56 PM

I had a TAH/BSO but...I had a lap in December for endo and fibroids and was very gassy and bloated for two months (I rushed my recovery and paid the price.)

I have lived in sundresses and nightgowns...I have not worn pants yet.

I bought some cotton granny panties two sizes too big...very comfy on my super sensitive belly.

I had worn this pair of Nike flip flops daily...I live in Florida and have tile floors and these flip flops have helped limit my back aches.

I am three weeks out and my appetite is still nowhere where normal...so I have a bunch of food I just can't eat. I'd wait on the food.

If you aren't blessed with having a human grabber (I have two...my 6 year old and 8 year old) get one! I still have a serious case of the dropsies...I seem to drop stuff constantly.

I have not used a binder or used ice or a heating pad...but that's just me. I worked on strengthening my core muscles, didclots of squats and worked on my arms pre op...that's really helped.

Good luck and see you on the other side.
Unread 06-24-2010, 09:04 PM

Angelkisses02- I have a two year old and she is all about picking stuff up off the floor...She even cleans....I don't guess I knew it at the time but I guess in a way I trained her for this...I keep hearing about people not having an appetite...is there a reason for it? I also has lap when they were searching for endo...and I was back to normal the same day... I could only hope this will be the same...but I am not thinking it will be ------
Thanks again ladies for helping me and giving me such great information! I als
Unread 06-24-2010, 11:09 PM

Where do you purchase a grabber tool?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register