Need Help.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need Help.... Need Help....

Unread 09-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Need Help....

I had total abd hyster on Tues. They couldn't do robotic. I came home Friday night. When I eat and drink I get pains and can only do a little at a time. Amybody else have these pains?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Re: Need Help....

While you were in the hospital - did they verify that you could do the "bathroom functions" before you were released? I think it could just be your body slowly getting back to normal. We have to do the whole "clean out" + no eating prior to surgery. They give you alot of meds which your body has to process... so maybe your digestive system is just a little slower to bounce back?

I hope everything turns out okay for you.
Unread 09-26-2010, 08:02 PM

Yes, I had to eat and drink only a little at a time for several weeks. I mean, it wasn't nibbles, but I definitely found I was more comfortable with less food in my stomach. Your stomach rests on top of all that sore tissue, and they messed around with your whole lower abdomen, so with food moving around, it is bound to bump against newly healing tissue and cause discomfort. Same with the bladder resting on top of your healing vaginal cuff. Keep water and fluids by your bedside, and eat many small meals a day instead of two or three big ones. I think a certain amount of pain or discomfort is normal due to intestines and bladder resting on all the soreness. It gets better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2010, 08:22 PM

I had terrible gas pains the first few days, and that first BM (about day 3) was painful! I was on stool softeners for about a week. Now I still get gas pains sometimes, but they are not too bad. I hope you are feeling better very soon!
Unread 09-26-2010, 08:54 PM

Yes I could hardly eat for the first few days & after that it was only small amounts. The gas pains where the worst pain of the recovery. Try some warm tea & gas x can help too. Make sure you are getting a lot of water to get the medication out of your system & walk a little bit to get things moving. I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 09-27-2010, 01:26 AM

I found peppermint tea very soothing, maybe it will help you too?
Unread 09-28-2010, 11:09 AM

thanks everyone for the advise!!
Unread 09-28-2010, 01:17 PM

I had to have a BM before I could leave the hospital. once I came home I was taking Miralax twice a day (one capfull in a bottle of poweraid) to keep things "going". I stopped it for a while and am now paying for it. So I started again. I can't not eat more than just a little bit. Can't drink alot at one time either. If things are not moving along you might try something like that. It can cause more pain if you don't keep things moving along.
Unread 09-28-2010, 01:30 PM

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I had the same problem stools softeners were not working so i used dulcolax suppositories and gas x. Also you may be backed up do to pain medication. it is very binding. Were you given a binder after your surgery?? If so try removing that should help move gas along. Hope you feel better.
TAH(kept ovaries) 9/14/2010
tubal ligation 11/27/2001

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register