Almost 3 months post hysterectomy - relief for gas? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Almost 3 months post hysterectomy - relief for gas? Almost 3 months post hysterectomy - relief for gas?

Unread 09-22-2016, 07:10 AM
Almost 3 months post hysterectomy - relief for gas?

So my OBGYN thinks I have issues with gas. And that is what is causing the swelling and pain. But he didnt' tell me what to do about it.

So, anyone have any ideas? GasX over the counter?

I am so terribly miserable.

AND, I am a week away from being 3 MONTHS out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2016, 09:16 PM
Re: relief for gas?

Im on day 13 post op (total laproscopic hysterectomy) i have been doing 2 stool softners and 2 gas x daily it doesn't eliminate it completely but has been a big help. Also lots of water, no soda (fizz is bad), watch your foods and walking helps me as well. If that doesnt help maybe acid reflux is a factor too? Hope that's helpful.
Unread 09-22-2016, 09:39 PM

Peppermint tea! It helped me a ton post-surgery and now I still drink it as needed.

I also second the walking and avoiding problem foods as suggested above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2016, 12:30 AM

Hi, peppermint tea, gas X.. If youre having gas, then thats mostly slow GI mobility.. The GI system can b different after surgery so youll always need to eat right & keep things moving.apples, veggies, nuts, pumpkin seeds, magnesium. Stay well hydrated & walking is important. If need mire help, prunes, prune juice, graoe juice. Stool softeners or olive oil over a salad as fats lube the GI track.

Hormones affect digestion..Do you have a swelly belly? I think hormones, surgery causes edema. Limit salt, processed foods. This is a separate issue from GI bloating. Its swelling that is right above the incision or on sides.
Unread 09-23-2016, 06:00 AM
Re: Almost 3 months post hysterectomy - relief for gas?

YES! HUGE SWELLY BELLY....and it is painful.
Unread 09-23-2016, 06:49 AM

I have poor stomach motility, so bloating and gas are my constant companions. I second LailaStar's recommendation for regular walks; that will help more than anything else. Dark chocolate is another excellent source of magnesium. What has also helped me has included peppermint tea, and minimizing or avoiding gassy foods; that includes legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, melons, pears, and artificial sweeteners. As well, the surgical antibiotics can upset the normal balance of bacteria inside your intestinal tract; a probiotic supplement, including the strains L acidophilus and B longum, or regular servings of live culture yogurt, can help to restore it. Another contributor to "swelly belly" is inflammation, a normal part of the healing process, which should settle down within a few weeks. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 09-23-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiepie741 View Post
YES! HUGE SWELLY BELLY....and it is painful.
Ice for inflammation, if you can take ibrophrophen helps w some inflammation.. A SB can take time to go down. I dont know why Drs dont tell us about it & appear to have no knowledge of it. Its like they dont want to admit its a response to surgery they performed!

I wore an ab binder bc it held me in. Youll notice the more active you become & as the day progresses, more swelling occurs. If you have the heavy weight feeling, then wear an ab binder. I wore mine over tank top so easy on/off. You can adjust it during the day. There are support panties too.

Watch your salt intake, soda, processed foods. Hormones contribute, damage to the tissues. Look into lymphatic system & lymphatic massage. Jump rope, jumping on a trampoline stimulates. Youre not the only one with this issue. I have it still to a certain degree. It gies down in stages. I notice it more when Im on the go & drink diet soda & go out to dinner.

Ive increased my ab workout, so of course, I had more swelling. I then took off 2 days & noticed my abs improved. When you can, exercise, it eventually helps. Healing takes much, much longer than the 6-8 weeks the Drs claim. This thing is annoying & slow to leave, but youll eventually get there. Wear comfortable clothes w/out a waist band binding. Dresses, skirts, stretch waist band, yoga pants.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register