LAVH vs TAH help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH vs TAH help! LAVH vs TAH help!

Unread 07-08-2002, 11:29 PM
LAVH vs TAH help!

what is the advantage to the LAVH over a TAH? Seems like they are going to make incisions vaginally, so where is the advantage there? Does this heal faster or hurt less? I wanted to avoid incisions and the resulting adhesions, so does anyone know if the recovery is better with the LAVH incisions? How long do you need the "donut hole"????? Why don't they withdraw the uterus through the cervix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2002, 12:33 AM
LAVH vs TAH help!

Hi Jeanie
I had a LAVH 5 weeks ago.
The recovery time is much shorter and the body has to deal with a lot less trauma. I had to take 2 Panadol since my operation, no joke, I feel great and my biggest incision has shrunk to a 1cm scar. All the women I know who had abdominal tell me 'no pain is simply not possible', well it is in my recovery. My surgeon is a very experienced man, maker sure you find someone with massive exerience with laparoscopic surgery. It makes a huge difference where it comes to internal bruising and the like. I wish you well in your decision, your journey and recovery. I feel better than I have for many years, more energy, noooo pain!!!! Laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy was definitely IT for me.
Good Luck
Natalie
Unread 07-09-2002, 05:29 AM
LAVH vs TAH help!

I can second Natalie's reply. I was scheduled for an abdominal hyst by one Gyn because it was assumed that I would have lots of scar tissue and/or adhesions from 2 previous laparotomies for endo. I knew what to expect.
I went to another doc and she said an LAVH was a possibility. She would put the scope in and look and if it was, that would be the way to go. If the scar tissue/adhesions were there, she would do an abdominal.
Well, lucky me. I woke up expecting to feel a large bandange on my abdomen and only found 3 small ones! I was up walking the next morning and home that evening.
I had very little pain, took far fewer pills than I would have had to and was walking the neighborhood in a week. It will be 4 weeks tomorrow and I feel completely back to normal. Well, actually better than before because all the problems are gone!
If it is possible, go for the LAVH. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2002, 07:54 AM
3rd Opinion

Count me in as a third vote for Vaginal if you can go that way. After 5 abdominal surgeries over 19 years I was all set for a TAH - and 3 different Drs told me that was my only option due to an enlarged uterus, adhesions, endo, etc. Going for yet another opinion just 2 days before my surgery and finding a Dr. with a LOT of experience who was 95% confident that he could do a TVH instead - I switched and boy am I glad. Actual surgery time was only 20 minutes for me and I only lost 50 ccs of blood. The pain after the surgery was no more than a normal period - and I KNOW that is a lot less than an abdominal incision. At 4 weeks post op now, there is nothing I can't do except really heavy lifting and of course, no keys to the honeymoon suite yet!! After my abdominal surgeries, at 4 weeks I was just starting to get up to doing little things and couldn't go grocery shopping or anything else by myself.

Either way, make sure you insist on the best care for you and don't be afraid to get a bunch of different opinions and research your doctor's skills really well. Don't hesitate to ask how many vaginal vs abdominal surgeries he/she does and why. Don't be afraid to ask about their complication rates. Call the hospital and ask the nurses on the GYN floor which doctors have the best outcomes. Good Drs are hard to find and I'm really glad that I did that - even though it was a lot of stress - I changed Drs and Hospitals 2 days before my surgery because I didn't like the answers I was getting about my planned Dr.

Good luck and s

Elaine
Unread 07-09-2002, 10:55 AM
2-1/2 weeks post op on an LAVH

I would most definitely recommend an LAVH! I had very little pain, so little in fact that I have not had a narcotic pain killer since I left the hospital -- simple ibuprofen was enough (600 mg.).

At 2-1/2 weeks post op, I'm back at work 4 hours a day. I tire easily and have a bit of discomfort when I sit for a while but I didn't need a "donut" at all.

I had a myomectomy (removal of a fibroid) 9 years ago complete with a foot-long abdominal incision. I was in pain with that for weeks and could not return to work for 6 weeks. The trauma is MUCH less with the LAVH.

Good luck!
Unread 07-09-2002, 12:35 PM
LAVH vs TAH help!

How big is "too big" for a vaginal vs abdominal Hysterectomy? I have been told I have a LARGE uterus, a fibroid that is 7 cm, and several smaller ones, too, and my Dr seems to think things are too big for abdominal, but boy, if I could, I sure would prefer things that way....I delivered a 10 lb 14 oz baby vaginally, why not the hysterectomy??
Unread 07-09-2002, 02:31 PM
LAVH vs TAH help!

I had an LAVH on June 26th......... I have not had to take but 2 pain pills since I left the hosp..... (one the nurse gave me for the ride home)........ I was in the hosp all of 24 hrs....... up walking the night of surgery........ I have 3 very sm incisions on my belly 2 of which are completly healed........ With LAVH.... you dont have the big incision to have to heal on the outside...... everything is same surgically on the inside........ if at all possible go with the LAVH........ you will be happy you did......... I know I am..... Good luck to you )

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register