LAVH 12 hours post hysterectomy: Gas anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

12 hours post hysterectomy: Gas anyone? 12 hours post hysterectomy: Gas anyone?

Unread 08-09-2016, 12:44 AM
12 hours post hysterectomy: Gas anyone?

I am 12 hours out from surgery and have rumble tummy. I still have not passed any gas. Is this normal? I feel like if I were to strain then maybe it would happen but scared to apply any pressure to area for fear of ripping something loose!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2016, 03:02 AM
Re: 12 hours post hysterectomy: Gas anyone?

It's completely normal and don't worry it will come out without you having to strain your self I'm 2 weeks post op today and it's been a journey so far I've had painful gas and was not able to poop till about day 4 just rest drink plenty of water and keep pain meds close and ask the hospital for a binder for ur waist it helps so much by givin you support hoping for a speedy recovery
Unread 08-09-2016, 03:29 AM

Walking is what will help. When youre permitted to drink water helps too..Peppermint tea. As soon as you can, get on stool softeners bc post op constipation is the next hurdle. Once cleared to eat, apples, prunes, prune juice, veggies..Walking, water, repeat. The 1st BM can be painful, TMI-so try keep things soft. I may take days to finally go..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LailaStar View Post
Walking is what will help. When youre permitted to drink water helps too..Peppermint tea. As soon as you can, get on stool softeners bc post op constipation is the next hurdle. Once cleared to eat, apples, prunes, prune juice, veggies..Walking, water, repeat. The 1st BM can be painful, TMI-so try keep things soft. I may take days to finally go..
Thank you. I have been walking the halls to the point the nurses are shocked and drank tons of water. Colace starts today, tho I did take it the day before surgery too. I can't go home til the gas starts passing so I guess I will get back in the hall and back to walking. I think if they would take out the catheter that would help, as I seem to have a mental block. Hoping it goes soon and that I will be able to pee!
Unread 08-09-2016, 07:57 AM

As I've frequently said before in this forum, constipation can cause gas to become trapped in the colon , so getting things moving should help. In addition to walking and peppermint tea, what worked for me included prunes and prune juice, and a daily green smoothie with almond milk, cherries, spinach, and ground flaxseeds. Greens are high in magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; also have some dark chocolate or pumpkin seeds two more excellent sources. Also, the surgical antibiotics can upset the normal balance of bacteria inside your intestinal tract; adding yogurt or kefir to your smoothie, or taking a probiotic supplement, can help to restore it. To avoid straining, sit on the toilet with your knees drawn into your chest, and your feet elevated on a low stool; this straightens the rectum, so everything can move through without straining. Also avoid gassy foods until things return to normal; that includes legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, melons, pears, and artificial sweeteners. Here's hoping you'll be back to 💩 soon, and able to get rid of that pesky gas!
Unread 08-09-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Eye View Post
As I've frequently said before in this forum, constipation can cause gas to become trapped in the colon , so getting things moving should help. In addition to walking and peppermint tea, what worked for me included prunes and prune juice, and a daily green smoothie with almond milk, cherries, spinach, and ground flaxseeds. Greens are high in magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; also have some dark chocolate or pumpkin seeds two more excellent sources. Also, the surgical antibiotics can upset the normal balance of bacteria inside your intestinal tract; adding yogurt or kefir to your smoothie, or taking a probiotic supplement, can help to restore it. To avoid straining, sit on the toilet with your knees drawn into your chest, and your feet elevated on a low stool; this straightens the rectum, so everything can move through without straining. Also avoid gassy foods until things return to normal; that includes legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, melons, pears, and artificial sweeteners. Here's hoping you'll be back to 💩 soon, and able to get rid of that pesky gas!
Hi Tiger_Eye... she's still in the hospital. They want her to pass gas bf releasing her. You know the lousy selection of hospital foods. (Ugh, they brought me beef, gravy over rice as my 1st meal! Im still amazed about that!)

So nmed, if someone can bring these healthy foods to the hospital would help. Its crazy, isnt it? The hospital should understand this about post op constipation..

nmed, Atleast while at the hospital, ask for fruits, prune juice, prunes, apple juice, yogurt, water- until you get home. Can you very slowly do a squat in front of one of the hospital chairs a couple times?? Or slowly lean forward a bit to big chair holding arms. Once you're home, get busy follow Tiger_Eye recommendations when you're home..continuing w walks & water. You can do this!
Unread 08-09-2016, 11:49 AM

I don't remember any nurses asking me to pass gas before I got checked out of the hospital! They were mainly concerned with my urine output and peeing on my own.

That said, yes, the food selection at hospitals can be awful. If you can't get prunes or prune juice or things like that, or bran cereal, see if a family member can bring some in for you.

And do not strain! I didn't dare to. Stool softeners help too, if they haven't brought you any of those yet request them. And water, water, water.
Unread 08-09-2016, 12:06 PM

Duplicate-removed
Unread 08-09-2016, 02:13 PM

My surgery was yesterday at 11:00. Got to my room at 1:45. I rested until 4:15 and got up and into the chair. Hubby and I walked the halls for a bit about 7:00 before he went home. Other then the Toradol they gave me at 1:00 yesterday, I haven't had to take anything for pain, the nurses couldn't believe it. I guess I was in so much pain prior that it was a relief. Not only did I have fibroids but had a lot of scar tissue from my appendix being removed when I was 14 yrs old and it had attached to my uterus and was pulling it to the right side of my abdomen and was caved in, it also was attached to my bowel. Doc believes that was the real pain source, not the fibroids. He was able to cut it all away and get rid of it. Scar tissue is unable to be seen any other way then a scope. I have had a lot of gas, right after surgery and passing it with no problem. This morning the gas pains were a little sharper but then relieved once passed. I got home about 11:00 this morning and my belly is really rumbling and I'm very gassy. Hope you get relief soon!!
Unread 08-09-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyst&50 View Post
My surgery was yesterday at 11:00. Got to my room at 1:45. I rested until 4:15 and got up and into the chair. Hubby and I walked the halls for a bit about 7:00 before he went home. Other then the Toradol they gave me at 1:00 yesterday, I haven't had to take anything for pain, the nurses couldn't believe it. I guess I was in so much pain prior that it was a relief. Not only did I have fibroids but had a lot of scar tissue from my appendix being removed when I was 14 yrs old and it had attached to my uterus and was pulling it to the right side of my abdomen and was caved in, it also was attached to my bowel. Doc believes that was the real pain source, not the fibroids. He was able to cut it all away and get rid of it. Scar tissue is unable to be seen any other way then a scope. I have had a lot of gas, right after surgery and passing it with no problem. This morning the gas pains were a little sharper but then relieved once passed. I got home about 11:00 this morning and my belly is really rumbling and I'm very gassy. Hope you get relief soon!!
Thats great that all went well w your surgery...The has now is the tge GI system trying to get going. Get on stool softeners asap. walking, water. The post op constipation is uncomfortable & can be painful. Apples, prunes, prune juice, veggies, pumpkin seeds.. Yogurt & or smoothies to get you going. Apple pectin or flax seeds work. Lots of water..If you are still in the hospital, ask for items above or have someone bring you.

I had a TAH due to uterine fibroids. I had anesthesia & an epidural. I did nit take any narcotics post op. Day 2 at 4 PM, I took 800 mg ibrophrophen. My Dr gave me a prescriot for Norco, ibrophrophen & for morphine drip. I only took ibrophrophen. I think I was condutioned w so much discomfort bf, that I was able to handle the post op discomfort.

Walk, hydrate, rest & repeat....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register