Hygiene Questions Post-Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hygiene Questions Post-Surgery Hygiene Questions Post-Surgery

Unread 06-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Hygiene Questions Post-Surgery

I'm curious about what I can expect right after my surgery.

I'm having either an abdominal myomectomy or abdominal hysterectomy in July and have some silly questions:

How soon can I shower?

Also, I'm considering getting my hair cut very short - it'll be the hottest part of the summer while I'm recovering and we have no AC and I thought maybe a simple pixie cut or something will make washing easier.

I know it sounds vain, but I always feel less than human without a shower every morning.

Anyone have any experience with this or advice?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2004, 06:00 PM
showered day after operation

I showered in the hospital on the second day, and then again on third day. I came home afternoon of third day and resumed my two showers (morning and night). My showers wake me up in the morning and put me to sleep and night.

Iphie
(abdominal myomectomy)
Unread 06-11-2004, 06:39 PM

I had my TAH surgery on a Tuesday, and I took a shower in the hospital on Thursday. The day after my surgery, a nurse's aide came in to give me a sponge bath in the morning... it was so embarrassing... but it was nice to be refreshed. I was still pretty sore and moving really slowly on Thursday, but i was determined to take a shower and wash my hair. It was a walk in shower, and there were bars on the walls to help me sturdy myself anytime I needed to. Also, the water knob and shelves for shampoo and stuff were chest high, so I never had to bend over for anything.

When I got home on Friday, my DH had to help me turn on the water, step into and out of the shower, and help me dry off the bottoms of my legs and my feet... but it was only a few days before I was doing it comfortably on my own. Our tub sides are a bit high and the water knob is pretty low.

Jwlz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2004, 07:46 PM

Thanks for asking that question and for the answer that was posted. I had been wondering about that too.
Unread 06-11-2004, 07:49 PM

Hello
I had a TAH/BSO I was closed with desolvable stiches only..my doctor did not allow showers for five days..(sink sponge baths only) no water on incission at all..now I can take showers ( he gave me a solution to pat on the incission after my showers to help dry it), but no baths (and I love my tub) until my six week check up. I would like to note I did not have any infection in the incission, he said this is just his prefrence to ensure it heals properly and the stitches don't desolve too soon.
From reading many posts on this topic it seems to vary conciderably from doctor to doctor. The best thing to do is follow your doctors instructions. and do not be afraid to ask him or her to specify restrictions if you have any questions in that regard. Hope this helped and good luck .
Unread 06-11-2004, 07:53 PM

Same for me as JWLZ... surgery on Tuesday morning, Wednesday morning the helped me into the bathroom where she had the plastic wash pan filled with warm soapy water... had me sit on a chair in front of the sink, and left me to wash myself while she changed the sheets on the bed, then she came in and washed my back... I was greatful for the help. Then Thursday morning I got to shower by myself in a bathroom down the hall.

I highly recommend getting a SATIN PILLOWCASE (Walmart has them)... I took mine to the hospital with me and my DH put it on the pillow for me... your hair does not get messed up when you sleep on it! It is WONDERFUL !

Kathy
5/18/2004
TAH/BSO
adenemyosis, cysts, large fibroid
bladder tacked in place! I love to sneeze now!!
Unread 06-11-2004, 08:00 PM

I had my surgery on a Tuesday morning. The nurse on duty told me I could shower on Wednesday evening, after they took the IV out, but I was just a little too tired to do it just then. I took a shower on Thursday morning (~48 hrs. after surgery). I had to move slowly, but it didn't hurt, and it felt really good to wash my hair!

If you're feeling weak, tired, or sore after surgery, you can ask for help getting washed or showered. The nursing staff should be really helpful about this kind of thing, and will probably offer help before you ask for it.

As Arlene wrote, your surgeon may leave specific instructions for you to follow, so "your mileage may vary".

Best wishes,
Juliepede
Unread 06-12-2004, 03:33 AM

I had surgery in the hottest part of our summer - we had record temperatures.

I had surgery Wednesday afternoon and had a bed bath on the Thursday which felt wonderful.

By Friday afternoon I was relieved of all my extras- IV, cath, blood bag, oxygen and epidural. Within the hour I was in the bathroom - slowly but hey I got there. I had a shower seat and was able to wash my hair and have a long slow shower.

My hair is past my thighs in length and I had plaited it just prior to going into hospital. It stayed sort of halfway decent until the Friday when I was able to unplait and wash it.

The nurses/doctor never gave me a time frame of when I could/could not shower, but whilst I was hooked up it was impossible anyways. But, as always, follow your doctor's instructions.

Hugs and regards
Unread 06-12-2004, 06:56 AM

Hi...I showered the next day in the hospital. My DH actually gave me a shower and washed my hair! I was in shock! I guess he really does love me!! It takes a special kind of guy to do that!
Unread 06-12-2004, 01:55 PM

My surgery is 6/29 - so in an impulsive moment I decided to have the hairdresser shave my head one-quarter inch all around! I have a very thick curly head of hair which is a lot of work - it feels great and very little maintenance! It's my version of the princess thing!

JoJO

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register