more information before leaving hospital would not have gone a miss | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

more information before leaving hospital would not have gone a miss more information before leaving hospital would not have gone a miss

Unread 04-22-2005, 06:25 AM
more information before leaving hospital would not have gone a miss

Dont know if anyone else feels the same way but I would of liked to know the ups and downs from this operation. There has been a couple of timeS when I have thought something had gone wronge. And I have really worried. When I left the hospital no one took the time to talk to me. Just felt like get her in then out. To be honest it has made me abit mad. It is a big operation and it is our bodies and our life which has been affected. I know they are busy but I really think things have to change. THANK GOD FOR THIS WEBSITE. Have my 6 week check up soon and I will be bringing this up.

LOVE DAWNIE UKXX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2005, 06:36 AM

Hi Dawnie,

I see you are in the UK, so things may be a bit different there. Before I left the hospital I was given a sheet with instructions on it. One of the nurses sat with me and explained everything. I was told what to look for, how to take care of my incision wound, what symptoms would require a call to the doctor, etc.

Be sure to call your doctor if you think something isn't right, or if you have a symptom that worries you. And stick with Hystersisters...you'll learn so much from them.
Unread 04-22-2005, 06:37 AM

I sooo agree. I didnt get nothing but a lil sheet of what to do if's.

I guess the sheet helped, cuz i got a uti, and called doc.

But i would really of liked to know more in depth stuff, like the stitches, the ligaments, etc...

like to shorten it.... WHAT DID YOU REALLY DO IN THERE? What is normal, what is not?

Most of my info came from here. What a God send. They need to inform us more, imho, ladies, anyone else get real good info? or is it just me?

Before and After, just not enough info barely any other than the why i needed it stuff.

Good post, thanks

carrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2005, 06:58 AM

Hi Dawnie

I've sent you a personal message with a bit of information that might help.

You're right, this site is fantastic and I'd have been living in the dark for the past 6 weeks without it.

Livingdoll.
Unread 04-22-2005, 07:10 AM
Didnt even get a sheet of information!

Hi , at least you got a sheet , I didnt even get alittle note . Dr. just said BYE! I was a little mad about that . Oh she did say all looks good and I will see you in a week. And if I felt up to going to the movies I could. I thought that was a bad , cause you dont want to get SICK with a cold and worry about coughing!!!!! I didnt go to the movies or anywhere for a week. Godd luck at your six week. i went for my 4 week on 4/20 05 and Dr said I dont have to come back til June for my annual? Is that crazy? Or Am I being a baby? It that happened to anyone else? Take care . Difran TAH -3/21/05
Unread 04-22-2005, 07:10 AM

My discharge instructions said this and nothing else:
(and Doctor said nothing...but I had no questions - I had already found HS)

Comments/Instructions:
Contact MD or come to ER if:
temp >101.5 for 2 days
purulent drainage
secretion at incision

Activity Limitations:
no bending
no lifting
no driving

Diet:
regular

Follow-up Care:
(blank)
Unread 04-22-2005, 07:30 AM

sister:
I think the information that they give us at discharge is limited because everyones recovery is SO different. I cant imagine looking at a sheet of paper seeing all the things written in black and white that I have seen posted here. I would go home, go directly to bed, and cover-up to my nose.and shiver. I think that would be really scary, although I agree it is best to be informed, where do you draw the fine line, do you take a chance and write down all the really rare things that could happen and scare the patient, or do you give them the bare minimum and hope they never see the scary stuff. I myself would rather not read 6 pages of complications, cuz I would be the one to worry myself sick.
Take care ladies, and if you have any ?s about your recovery ask your doc, he will guide you, and dont forget this place- These ladies ROCK!!!!
snickers
Unread 04-22-2005, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4reality
But i would really of liked to know more in depth stuff, like the stitches, the ligaments, etc...WHAT DID YOU REALLY DO IN THERE?
For this info, go to Medical Records at your hospital and get a copy of your complete record. It will include the surgery report, pathology report, and everything else that happened, every drug you were given, vital signs, etc.
(the hospital may charge for copying - mine was about $20.00)

Usually all this info would be available by about 3-4 weeks after your surgery.

I would suggest getting everything, but if you only want the surgery and path report, your Doc will be able to give you a copy of that.
Unread 04-22-2005, 07:51 AM

Hi Dawnie
I see you're from Barrow in Furness, I'm from Ulverston and had SAH/BSO on 17th Jan, so I'm like 3 months post op now.
Major mess inside though, everything glued together, I wasn't expecting a hyst and it took me a while to get used to the idea, I was in for exploratory. Kept me in a full week, which I gather is a long time these days.
I guess you were at FGH??
Who was your surgeon?
Mine was Mr Hussein and he was wonderful...no complaints at all.
Were you on ward 1.....what did you think of the nurses??
The information I got was from the physio, she gave me a little booklet saying what to do and what not to do at certain stages.
The only other info I got was several sheets on HRT as my gyn thought it best I take it.
At 6 weeks post op check my gyn told me what to do and what not to do, like could swim, lots of walking, ride a bike (last thing on my mind at that time) and have sex.
He said I was recovering well checked my stomach and that was it. No more check ups and I'm back at work now doing everything I did before.....but still get sooo tired.
This web site is a life saver, so much info from other sisters, and you know your not alone.
Conyers
Unread 04-22-2005, 07:52 AM

I just think it would of been nice to have had the opions. People should have the choice. Most of the scary things from what I have seen is the bodies way of healing knowing that would make me feel much better. Ive had some pains over the past 4 weeks and found out of this website it is just healing and normal.

DAWNIE UKXX

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register