Anxiously awaiting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anxiously awaiting Anxiously awaiting

Unread 12-30-2000, 08:51 PM
Anxiously awaiting

Hello ladies. I'm new here and very happy to know there are so many caring and concerned women out here able to support and advise.The last 6 months have been hell on a skateboard for me and I am anxiously awaiting my total abdominal hysterectomy Jan.5. I've had so much trouble managing the pain ( not to mention the heavy bleeding) I have 3 weeks out of every month. I work full-time and I never realized how much energy fighting pain required. I find it almost imposible to function some days. I'm so tired of feeling like this and I'm praying that I'll be my old self again. Dealing with pain can actually transform your entire personality. I'm hoping that after I have my surgery and recover that I can be the same...and feel normal. Does this strike a cord with anyone else?
I had a great life until my health deteriorated from a large ovarian cyst and a fibroid in my uterus. My husband does everything but go to work for me. My kids are very supportive( 2 teens ) but they want the mom they used to know back. I want her back too. Thanks for listening and a very Happy, healthy New Year to all of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2000, 08:57 PM
Anxiously awaiting

Jude;
Good Luck to you. I am new here also. I am scheduled to have my Hysterectomy on February 5th. and scared !!! Please let us know how you do. I too have an ovarian cyst as well as fibroids. DId they tell you what type of cyst it is??
Take Care
Donna
Unread 12-30-2000, 10:04 PM
Anxiously awaiting

Hi Donna. Thanks for replying. Truth be told...I was so stunned when my Dr. told me about the cyst all I can remember is that is was the size of a golf ball and was filled with fluid. It's on my left ovary. I hope your surgery goes well and try not to be scared. I've had 2c-sections,my gall bladder removed and my appendix removed so I'm here to tell you.. abdominal surgery aint pretty..but once you're up and moving around it's just a matter of time. The worst part for me was when I'd wake up after surgery. I felt immediate pain and was always cold. If you can think of it remember to ask the nurse for a warm blanket. And I do mean WARM! They heat them up and will wrap you up snug as a bug and it really makes you feel a little better and sort of secure. Then..once they give you some pain killers...you can sleep like a baby until they get you up. It hurts like hell..that first cruise down the hall...but it gets better every single day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2000, 10:43 PM
Anxiously awaiting

Jude,
Your mentioning being cold when you woke up made me remember when I had my first c-section, apparently I had complained (a lot) of being cold so they put warmed blankets over me. The next morning when I woke up I complained to the nurse that I couldn't move my legs, wondering if it was caused by the anesteshia (sp). I could tell she was very concerned that I couldn't move my legs. So she lifted the first blanket, then the second, then the third (legs were started to feel a bit lighter).....after she removed the 6th blanket (I must have been really complaining about being cold) I could move my legs again!!!
You should have seen the look on her face that they had so many blankets on me, it was so funny.
Good luck and happy new year!
Unread 12-31-2000, 04:53 PM
Anxiously awaiting

Kris...that is soooo funny about you having so many blankets on your legs. You MUST have wanted to laugh at the same time you were feeling relieved that you could indeed move your legs. I plan on telling everyone on that hospital staff that I need to say warm at all times. Funny...for the past year I've slept in boxers and tank tops because I sweat at night. I'm here in chilly Chicagoland and my family thinks I'm a freak the way I parade around at night in summer attire. Now I have the chills just thinking about waking up post op. I absolutely hate those hospital gowns. I'm only 5 feet tall and they hang off me like a potato sack. I just came home from buying some flannel drawstring pants but..I plan on bringing a tank shirt just in case. Oh yeah...I bought some cute little drawstring boxers. For 5 bucks..I dont even care if they get ruined but at least my new ones have a draw. Have a Happy New year. I'm counting down for more than a new year right now...in a couple weeks maybe I can give up the round the clock Ibuprofin regime and maybe someday wear my "good undies" again. Be well and happy in 2001!!
Unread 12-31-2000, 05:36 PM
Hey Jude

We are all in this together! I am scheduled 1-23-01 for a TAH/BSO and have also had 2 c-sections and a gall bladder. They tried to take out my appendix in Sept, but discovered that it was my ovarian cysts wanting some attention. I too have the pesky fibroids, bleeding etc. I have had them for years and my previous Dr. told me that everything I had (cysts and fibroids) were all benign conditions and that was that. I feel as though I have suffered needlessly for too long as the pain and problems have only gotten worse. It amazes me how we learn to live with the pain, and I know that only after it is all over will we realize just how crappy we have felt for so long. It reminds me of a book I read in college, "Been Down So long It Looks Like Up To Me!"LOL!
We will be fine as long as we have each other for support through the waiting, which everyone says it the worst part. I scheduled my surgery 11-15-00, so this is a long wait.
Hang tough, looking forward to a new year without alot of my old problems!
Ann
Unread 12-31-2000, 10:33 PM
Anxiously awaiting

You are soooo right about being used to living in pain. I've had 2 good days in row and can't wait until it's 24/7 366 days a year that I'm pain free.
Fortunately...I didn't have to wait very long to get the surgery scheduled. I called my Dr.'s office numerous times asking for something stronger than over the counter pain med. I think the nurses finally took pity on me and got me set up in a hurry. Maybe they got tired of me calling?? Whatever the reason I got lucky enough to be scheduled quickly.. I'm anxious to get it over with.
I hope your feeling good soon and your surgery goes well and I wish you the very best for a healthy new year.
Unread 01-01-2001, 02:47 PM
Anxiously awaiting

Hi, I'm also new here (just joined today 1/1/01). Happy New Year to all. My surgery date is scheduled 1/18/01. Before today I was fine now I'm kind of nervous. I have fibroids and have been suffering since my late 20's. I'm now 45 and practically had to beg for a hysterectomy. I was tired of all the little procedures and decided (after researching) on a hysterectomy. I donated my first unit of blood 12/28/00 and my second unit 1/4/01. I've been on Lupron and haven't had my period since November (it was great). This is great having someone to "type" to and express our fears. I had my gallbladder out 8/00 and survived that. It wasn't too bad. I know this surgery will be a little worse and more recovery time but I think I made a good decision.
Unread 01-01-2001, 03:04 PM
Jude55

Hello...I'm new to this, too. The person you described could be me. I'm 45 and am scheduled for a TAH on Jan. 9. The pain has made me a maniac, but I've kept working and taking care of my 5 year old twins. My husband helps out a lot but he also thinks I'm milking this for all it's worth. It is hard to articulate just how debilitating pain can be to a man. Hang in there ... everything I've heard indicates relief is just around the corner. JL
Unread 01-01-2001, 08:33 PM
Anxiously awaiting

Knock wood!! I've felt pretty good this whole weekend. Even though I've been bleeding 23 days now. Hopefully it'll
stop in a day or 2 just in time for surgery FRI JAN 5th!!! BUT...I know that the pain and cramping will return if I don't have surgery so...I'm enjoying this little honeymoon of feeling good. I've just about completed the building of my nest. We have food in the house, I've cleaned the house and the cobwebs from every corner of the bedroom, which is where my nest is. All I need now is a VCR in the bedroom for when I'm home recuperating. My teenage son will be doing a few BLOCKBUSTER runs when in the mood for a movie..or 2...or 3. LOL I'm not nervous (yet)but I can't wait to feel like this every day and sleep EVERY night without the aid of pain killers. I needed more PADS today and decided on the smaller package of the heavy duty ones I usually buy. I'm sure sick of seeing those all over my bathrooms at home and I still have a whole drawer full at work. I have the afternoon off from work tomorrow so I can go for my pre-op exam, blood draw, chest x-ray and then off to my primary care physician for an ekg. I am on the brink...no, make that the threshold of being the person I used to be... before this nightmare began. I hope we all come thru with flying colors. My sisters deserve good health and all the benefits that go along with that!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register