Concerned about no 'O' afterwards | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Concerned about no 'O' afterwards Concerned about no 'O' afterwards

Unread 05-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Concerned about no 'O' afterwards

Hello all,

I have been looking at past posts on this site concerning weather or not to leave the cervix when getting a TAH, and I am concerned and don't know where to post this at exactly, so I am doing it here!

I have a very good 'O' and am worried that it is all going to disappear. Some say, including my doc, that it doesn't matter if you take the cervix or not, nothing will change, others say it is much weaker if existent at all! Even w/ the ovaries still there these women have issues!??? I don't want to trade in the bane of my existence for no sex life...or one that is unfullfilling! Geez...I'm only 38.

Has anyone known anyone who has had a tah(keeping ovaries) and who was good to go, if you know what I mean? Or does anyone know if anyone has kept there cervix and it made a difference(How would you know that???!!).
Somebody..please direct me. I'm scared!

I saw the list that was compiled of the pros and cons of keeping your cervix---now I'm very confused!

I went over this w/ my doc, and he told me that women who had problems beforehand were more than likely going to have problems afterwards- those who didn't have issues still didn't afterwards. I know nobody can foretell the future , but I'd like a little more assurance before I give into this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2006, 08:45 PM

Hi Wendy!

Here's an article about a very recent study "hot off the presses" that shows that retaining the cervix versus losing it "doesn't amount to a hill of beans" in terms of future sexual satisfaction:

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=18073

More than likely, if you have a satisfying sex life now, you will have one after your hyst...after all the healing has occurred. Try not to worry yourself about issues that probably won't happen.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery.

Many s,
Unread 05-30-2006, 10:39 PM

I had a TVH 9 days ago, taking my cervix, and my 'O's are right as they should be and in fact more intense than before (I realise not everyone is ready or interested in 'outercourse' so early on in their recovery). I have polycystic ovaries and have no idea what my ovaries are doing right now, but I've got absolutely no complaints on the missing cervix front. Maybe it's because clitoral stimulation has always been required for me to have an 'O' as opposed to being a woman who got there through intercourse alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2006, 10:41 PM

Hi Wendy,

I agree. You will get pros and cons on the keeping the cervix or not. In pre-op, my Dr. told me that he felt the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. And...there is also the new study that Bizet Woman mentioned.

I guess for me I had normal pap smears for years and I had a sturdy cervix. I thought why remove my cervix when I was born with and it was healthy?? For me, I can tell my cervix is helping with pelvic support and my sex life could not be better.

Here is a recent Hyster Sisters thread on the ~cervix~:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...php?t=253369\\

Don't worry. You will make the right choice for yourself.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 05-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Been there....

Hi hun,
I had a partial hyster March 2005. They did remove my cervix. And to put it bluntly, my sex life never felt better! There wasn't that pain there anymore. I was able to "let go" and enjoy what was happening with my adoring Soldier (my fiance'). I am on the brink of surgery to remove my ovaries. I don't know what will happen after that. But, from what I gathered (and it has been a LONG day so i might be off) from my experience sex and "O"s improved and multiplied.

Best of Luck Hun!

Jessica
Unread 05-30-2006, 11:35 PM

Hi! I am 8 weeks post-op and its just getting better and better. I had cervix and uterus removed. I was concerned about dryness and good "O"'s and neither have been a problem. Some complain about the cuff being too short, and at first it is quite tender and limited but gets better as time goes on. I think the advice your Dr. gave about being similar to before is probably pretty true. Either way - good luck with your decision!
M.
tah 04/04/06 adenocarcinoma in cervix, cervix and uterus removed
Unread 05-30-2006, 11:48 PM

I had the LAVH rather than the TAH. But as my cervix was removed and I am getting closer to my 6 year Hysterversary, I thought I would pop in with my .

My sex life has not been affected negatively by having my cervix removed. If your orgasms involve your uterus, then your orgasms will obviously be different just having your uterus removed. But that in no way means your orgasms will be over.

And with regard to support, I have had no issues with lack of pelvic support and if your dr does your hyst well, you should have no issuses with support as surgeons are generally skilled with taking ligaments in all the right places. Often support is more affected by hormones rather than your actually cervix, which technically is the bottom portion of your uterus. It is not a seperate organ.

I have no regrets with not having a cervix, don't miss it at all!

Oh, if you keep your cervix, your hyst type would then be a SAH--supracervical abdominal hyst.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 05-31-2006, 05:23 AM

Well they aren't taking out the 'G' spot
Unread 05-31-2006, 06:10 AM

I had tah/bso 9 weeks ago and I can say that O's don't go away they are there. Mine are alot better. I always had pain previously now I have none.
Unread 05-31-2006, 06:15 AM

I had TAH and have one remaining ovary and the O's are great, as they always were. I can't find any difference at all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register