Bi-Polar, post op TAH and fell like ovaries are in Jamaica | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bi-Polar, post op TAH and fell like ovaries are in Jamaica Bi-Polar, post op TAH and fell like ovaries are in Jamaica

Unread 05-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Bi-Polar, post op TAH and fell like ovaries are in Jamaica

Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed as having bi-polar disorder in 2000 and after multiple med changes my psychiatrist was able to level my moods. Also have hypothroidism which means I am on Synthroid (a hormone) and am currently OK in that area. The along comes this "massive" fibroid requiring me to have an almost emergency TAH because it was pressing on my urethra causing me to be unable to urinate at all (had to have a catheter for two weeks. I am now almost 8 weeks post op and have been having insomnia, night sweats and some pretty good mood swings, especially around nightfall. Yes, I have both ovaries but I think that they are on a nude beach in Jamaica right now. Of course I'm also on anti-depressants and an anti-manic for the bi-polar. Both my OBGYN and my psych want to wait until my ovaries return from Jamaica, they believe it's just taking a little longer than normal. They did put me back on Lunesta for sleep so maybe that will help. I'm being a real good girl about taking my meds on schedule and whatnot.
Just wondering, anyone have any suggestions other than putting ice water in the pool and taking the sleeping pill BEFORE nightfall so I don't have the mood swings? Although going to Jamaica to retrieve my lazy ovaries sounds pretty doggone good right now!
Thanks sisters and hope all of you are doing well in your recoveries. Other than this little issue I'm really doing good!

Wanda 48
tubal ligation 2002
multiple D&C's
endometrial ablation 2004
TAH retained vacationing ovaries 4/6/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Re: Bi-Polar, post op TAH and fell like ovaries are in Jamaica

I was feeling the same way, my dr gave me a hormone shot to see if that was the problem. He said give it 2 weeks and if there's no change to call him. Well, that was definitely not my problem. He then prescribed me Elavil and Paxil, told me the Paxil was for my moodiness and the Elavil was for my hot flashes. The first night taking them, I slept wonderfully with no hot flashes/sleep aid. The only thing was that I was tired all day the next day. So, I tried just taking the Paxil every day and the Elavil every other day (at half the dose) and I'm sleeping so much better, I hardly ever have hot flashes, and my mood is sooooo much better. My family will back me up 100% on that.
Unread 05-30-2009, 11:49 AM

Hi, Has your gyn performed an ovarian function test yet? There is a blood test that can measure how your ovaries are performing, if out of normal range then your doc could come up with some sort of treatment plan until they're functioning normally again. I think it's rare for ovaries not to wake back up eventually, at least that's what my doc told me when I complained of meno-like symptoms after my hyst. He did say it could take 'a while'... meaning 'who knows?', I think - for me it took several weeks. Anyway, good luck, hope you're doing better very soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks a lot Kinta and cls.
No, I haven't had an ovary function test yet, I guess that will probably be next. I can kinda understand their hesitance to change my meds. I'm already on Lithium, Wellbutrin, Topral, Klonopin and now Lunestra, along with the Synthroid and Cytomel for my thyroid and have been VERY stable for a long time. You know "if it aint broke...." I can live with my symptoms, Lord knows I don't want to go back to BEFORE,poor DH couldn't handle it. Guess I'll see if GYN wants to do the ovary test and go from there. HMMMMMMMMM sounds like a way to go to Jamaica!

Love you ladies!

Wanda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register