New member -How do I decide to have surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New member -How do I decide to have surgery? New member -How do I decide to have surgery?

Unread 06-02-2004, 01:09 PM
New member -How do I decide to have surgery?

My name is Andrea. I am 47 years old. I just had a follow-up pelvic ultrasound and am unsure whether to have a hysterectomy or not. I have uterine fibroids, with somewhat heavy bleeding during my period (but nothing I can't deal with) and somewhat strong cramps (but they don't necessarily keep me in bed). Very light spotting occasionally. Some urinary incontinence when I exercise (but I don't need to wear protection). And my cycle has gone down to every 23 days. My uteris is currently 14.5 X 8.7 X 10.6 with the largest fibroid being 8.0 X 6.2 X 8.1 and the endometrial stripe at 7 MM. Basically the fibroid has grown about 1 cm in the past 4 months. I had the FSH done and it was at 3.7 at the beginning of my menses. So menopause seems quite a ways off (my mother was in her late 50's when she went into menopause).
So there you have it. If I do go for the hysterectomy I've decided it will be supracervical. I want to keep what I can. There's no history of cervical, ovarian, or uterine cancer in my family, and all my paps have been absolutely normal over the years.
Any suggestions? Thanks to all who take the time to respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2004, 01:47 PM

Andrea -

Why is your doctor recommending you go forward with a hysterectomy?

I had some doubts after reading some of these boards - so many women have suffered so much, I wondered whether I had suffered enough to warrant such drastic action. But, I know that my doctor has my best interests in mind (he's been my doctor for 18 years) and I am confident that he would not be recommending this procedure if it was not necessary. I'm still asking him lots of questions but I trust we're making the right decision for me.

I went through some alternatives with my doctor and we dismissed them one by one for a variety of reasons. Have you explored other options? In my case, there were other medical reasons for not pursuing certain things, leaving us with only one good option.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Searchgal
Unread 06-02-2004, 02:28 PM

Thanks for answering back. The doctor is leaving the decision up to me. Due to the large size of the fibroid, a hysterectomy or UAE was recommended. I decided against the UAE after doing some research. I suspect I can put off a hysterectomy for as long as I can deal with the uncomfortable symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2004, 09:10 PM

One thing I have learned is that you have to be your own "health advocate"--learn as much as you can, and speak it. Having a lot of info on your side makes the decisions that seem hard, a lot easier.

When I joined HysterSisters in March, I had not decided to have a hyst yet. I knew from other internet research I'd done that a hyst was the only known "cure." I was in the midst of trying hormones to stop my periods from happening all together (therefore, eliminating the pain and bleeding), but it was not for me.

This website is an amazing source of information! I read everything I could, and ultimately, I decided that the surgery was for me. I feel so much better now, and looking forward to being even better in the coming months. No more "Aunt Flo!"

Take your time, and read read read read read read! The more you learn, the better you'll understand what it is you are faced with, and the better you'll feel about your decision--to do it or not!

God bless you, Sister. We're here for you.
Unread 06-02-2004, 10:26 PM

Andrea,

I am 6-weeks post-op from a LSH (Laparoscopic SupraCervical Hysterectomy). I went on (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids for surgery.

I was also a few years out from menopause. It was funny how last spring 2003, I was feeling a little scared about menopause and then at the end of last year when I found out about my fibroids, it was like, "Where is menopause when I need it??" And, my Dr. said sometimes menopause is not the answer for fibroids. They still will not go down enough.

With my fibroids, I began to think..when will they stop growing?? That scared me too.

And, I could not be happier with my surgery results!! My bladder and colon are working better than they have in years. And my energy level is really high. I don't have that sluggish feeling I had at the end of the day with fibroids. And, I do not have the "weighted down" feeling around my stomach. I have such a sense of relief!!

I cannot say enough about a LSH. My Dr. recommended I keep my cervix since it was sturdy, I too had normal pap smears and cervical cancer does not run in my family. Also, by keeping the cervix it provides future pelvic support, precludes bladder problems and aids in sexual relations.

I could suggest you check with your Dr. to see if he/she plans on cauterizing your cervix. That helps to prevent a "mini-period" you might have read about that happens to LSH and SAH Hyster Sisters after surgery.

Good Luck Possible Future LSH Sister. We are here to support you!!!
Unread 06-02-2004, 11:02 PM
myomectomy?

Andrea,

Have you discussed having a myomectomy with your doctor?

There are benefits (and risks) in a late menopause and given your mother's history you could be nearly 10 years from natural menopause.

I'm nearly 54 and I have never missed a period or had a hot flash. Fibroids were causing severe anemia/bleeding though and something had to be done. I chose a myomectomy since there did not seem to be any other problems and I hope to have a late menopause (> age 55).

I had similar results as you from the FSH test but my doctor also said the test was completely unrealiable (not sure why she ordered it then!).

Iphie (age 53 1/2)
(5/19/04: abdominal myomectomy to remove numerous fibroids and cysts)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register