What is brain fog and swelly belly? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is brain fog and swelly belly? What is brain fog and swelly belly?

Unread 10-31-2006, 02:29 PM
What is brain fog and swelly belly?

So, what is this swelly belly I keep seeing? And how bad is the brain fog? I'm foggy enough and that's a scary thought!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2006, 02:32 PM

swelly belly is your stomach swelling around your incison and I am assuming brain fog is just what it sounds like. . .your brain and thoughts being foggy. . .I have that plenty. . .before and after surgery!
Unread 10-31-2006, 02:49 PM

Swelly belly doesn't last forever...mine tends to pop out more as my activity increases...pretty bad by the time I go to bed at night. I'm looking forward to the day when it's gone for good!
I do have lots of brain fog still, although it has improved some(I'm almost 4 weeks out) It's nothing to really worry about either...I just can't seem to retain information these days and I'm having a hard time spelling and typing at the same time. I blamed a lot of it on the pain meds at first, but now that I don't take them much anymore, I'm not sure what causes it...hhmmmm? I'm hoping that will improve in time as well...I need all the help I can get!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2006, 03:03 PM

Swelly belly: abdominal swelling from the general trauma of surgery, IV fluids and the gas/air that they sometimes use during surgery. Its no different than swelling from a broken wrist or a sprained ankle. My swelly belly is worse in the evenings too. I got excited when I went to the GP for a check up and had lost 18 pounds in 8 days. The excitement didn't last long because the RN pointed out that the weight loss was the swelly belly going away and not REAL weight loss. Oh well.

Brain fog: difficulty paying attention, concentrating, staying on task, etc. I'm guessing it is partially due to pain, narcotics and residual effects of anesthesia. I've had this one too!

I hope that helps!
Unread 10-31-2006, 03:52 PM

I've been blessed not to have any of either to speak of. So perhaps you won't either! Best wishes ~
Unread 10-31-2006, 04:04 PM

My swelly belly is not too bad My DH says it is less swollen than pre-op. Don't know why - and I am begining to agree. It does swell in the evening or if I do too much. The hospital gave me an abdominal support band and I have worn it the majority of the recovery time (3 weeks yesterday). It gives support like an ace bandage would for a sprained ankle.

Brain fog didn't realize I had it until people were talking about me calling them from the castle. In some ways it is good because you don't remember any discomfort either. I would assume it is meds from surgery and post-op

Good luck and when will you be a princess
Unread 10-31-2006, 05:23 PM

When I called home from the hospital, my dd said I sounded "slurry" and she was laughing at me! LOL! She thought it was quite funny!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register