One week... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:35 PM
One week...

I week from today (june 13th) I'll be in surgery. Yikes! But excited at the same time. I've been doing upkeep on the house and cleaned out chicken lot and weeded garden. Cleaned daughters' closet and I'm pretty sure I'm set and ready. I say this now but even as I write i'm getting a wee bit nervous. I'm sure it will get worse after Tuesday's pre-op appts. I'm thinking about packing a dress to wear home. Any extra advice??? I've bought a new tummy pillow and made sure my daughter would be safe and happy with grandma while Daddy looked after mommy. Someone mentioned new undies? Do I get larger size? What about new larger gown? Any help would be great!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Re: One week...

Mine is next Thursday as well. I'll be watching this for replys
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:07 PM

Mine is the 12th and I have been pouring over this site. I have read to get new panties two sizes larger than typically worn to make room for swelling. I usually wear the bikini or hipster ones but I got the briefs for the surgery because those should cover the incisions. I also got some shorts with elastic waistband from dollar general (cheap). Also I have read that lip gloss is a must and some people have recommended hard candy to help with the scratchy throat from the anesthesia.. Hope that helps!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2013, 07:30 PM

I am getting my surgery on the 17th. She said she will just take my uterus and cervix unless they see a need to remove the ovaries when they look in there. I am very excited , because I am ready to be pain free and not live on pain meds all the time just to function. But I am nervous too or just weirded out because I know now it is definite I can not have more kids even though we have 3 and have been done for 10 yrs lol. Anyone else go through this?
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:36 PM

Mine is Thursday June 13th as well. I'm going to my doctor tomorrow for pre surgery blood work and for a pelvic. We are deciding on if it can be done vaginally or not. I have my daughter going with grandpa to his house for two weeks and my 12yr old son here to help me out. ( I am a single mom no boyfriend at the current time) I'm just trying to not be nervous about general anesthesia believe it or not. Only had it once before a year ago. I had my last period a week ago and since then major aching and twingers and feeling so bloated. I swear my stomach has grown more in 2 months. I am ready for this to be out. Going to ask all my questions tomorrow am
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:11 PM

Hi Ladies, goodluck to you all on the upcoming surgeries!
I had my TLH and removal of both ovaries on 5/28, and found this amazing site 2 days before. I found a lot of useful info, such as important things to pack for the hospital - this really helped me!!

Several things I will suggest to take to hosp:
A bag with the following:
Large panties so it's loose fitting on waist (or ask for maternity disposable panties at the hosp, I use these and ask for 5 pairs to take home)
Body pillow (u will need this bc the CO2 they pump u with will make it extremely uncomfortable to lay down- also helps with car ride home)
Loose pants for going home
Any pain meds u r currently taking
Cell phone, iPod, chargers
Eye mask and ear plugs (if u have to share a room, u will need these to keep ur sanity)
Fitted tank (u will not want to wear a bra during hosp stay or on way home- too painful)
Heating pad (helps w gas pain from CO2)
Comfy robe
Comfy nightgown

For when u get home, I suggest a tummy binder. I use the Belly Bandit from Pea in the Pod bc I had it from my c-section. This helps get ur tummy to shrink back down faster and helps to hold everythig in place. Actually feels good to wear it (after day 2 when ur not as sore)

2 things that saved me ---
1- having my mom at the hospital. U really need an advocate there with u 24x7. She refused to leave and slept on the floor next to me. The nurses were withholding my pain meds although there was a dr order for them. My mom fought for my meds every 3 hrs around the clock. U will not have the energy to do this.
Also, when I pressed the help button I was ignored so mom helped me go to the bathroom, and walk the halls.
If u don't have someone who can do that, u can hire a private nurse for $18/hr. trust me- it is totally worth it!!

2- having a walker when I was at home! This was my saving grace! U can rent one from a medical supply store and even some pharmacies. It's hard to walk and u want to be able to move around and a walker makes it SOO much easier!
I used one with a bench, so when I got tired from walking I just sat down. Wish I thought of that for my previous surgeries!!

That's all- I hope this was helpful

Big hugs !!!
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb1733 View Post
Hi Ladies, goodluck to you all on the upcoming surgeries!
I had my TLH and removal of both ovaries on 5/28, and found this amazing site 2 days before. I found a lot of useful info, such as important things to pack for the hospital - this really helped me!!

Several things I will suggest to take to hosp:
A bag with the following:
Large panties so it's loose fitting on waist (or ask for maternity disposable panties at the hosp, I use these and ask for 5 pairs to take home)
Body pillow (u will need this bc the CO2 they pump u with will make it extremely uncomfortable to lay down- also helps with car ride home)
Loose pants for going home
Any pain meds u r currently taking
Cell phone, iPod, chargers
Eye mask and ear plugs (if u have to share a room, u will need these to keep ur sanity)
Fitted tank (u will not want to wear a bra during hosp stay or on way home- too painful)
Heating pad (helps w gas pain from CO2)
Comfy robe
Comfy nightgown

For when u get home, I suggest a tummy binder. I use the Belly Bandit from Pea in the Pod bc I had it from my c-section. This helps get ur tummy to shrink back down faster and helps to hold everythig in place. Actually feels good to wear it (after day 2 when ur not as sore)

2 things that saved me ---
1- having my mom at the hospital. U really need an advocate there with u 24x7. She refused to leave and slept on the floor next to me. The nurses were withholding my pain meds although there was a dr order for them. My mom fought for my meds every 3 hrs around the clock. U will not have the energy to do this.
Also, when I pressed the help button I was ignored so mom helped me go to the bathroom, and walk the halls.
If u don't have someone who can do that, u can hire a private nurse for $18/hr. trust me- it is totally worth it!!

2- having a walker when I was at home! This was my saving grace! U can rent one from a medical supply store and even some pharmacies. It's hard to walk and u want to be able to move around and a walker makes it SOO much easier!
I used one with a bench, so when I got tired from walking I just sat down. Wish I thought of that for my previous surgeries!!

That's all- I hope this was helpful

Big hugs !!!
WOW thanks that is a lot of helpful information.
Unread 06-07-2013, 02:55 PM

Saw the doctor today. He said very well may be doing this vaginally. He is atleast headed that way first before abdominal cut. Gave me all the run down on magnesium stearate to buy and take 2 days before. He told me he has done more vaginal hysterectomies than a lot of other people and still either way is only expecting this to take an hour to 1 1/2. I actual lost a 1lb of weight when they weighed me this time as well. he asked me if I would sleep the night before. I said I had no idea so he gave me a xanax prescription and knowing I will be telling the anesthesiologist I need my versed before. I can't do this without that versed feeling again to where I didn't even know I was being put under. Getting closer. Until then i am going to celebrate my birthday tomorrow and enjoy the weekend. I still have a lot to do to just have the things I need first.
Unread 06-07-2013, 02:59 PM

montanagal78
Hyster Sister

My daughters were both premature, the second being born at 27 weeks. Everyone is great now, but after seeing her in the NICU for so long I knew I was done. She is 7 now, I had a tubal ligation in 2011..but having my uterus removed is so definite..so yeah, I have had those thoughts too. I mentioned it to my husband and he told me if we absolutely decide we want another child down the road we can adopt one. I think this is a great solution as my pregnancies were horrible and I love children so down the road we could help a child by providing them with a loving home and family. I know it's not quite the same... but it made me feel better about the hysterectomy.
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:50 PM

mmb1733! awsome post!!! many thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register