Scared out of my mind! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared out of my mind! Scared out of my mind!

Unread 01-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Scared out of my mind!

I'm scheduled for full hysterectomy on January 21st, Da Vinci Surgery. I'm 39, have severe endo, had two previous laps....and now my doc feels like this is my only option. I'm still not sure and he told me I can cancel up to my preop visit. From everything I read a hysterectomy might not solve the problem. He said I could still have pain from the endo???? So why do they feel a hysterectomy is an option? I'm so confused and just want to make the right decision. Is going into menopause a better alternative to the endo pain? It's like you are swaping one problem for another. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Re: Scared out of my mind!

The way it was explained to me, is with the hyster you won't form new adhesions from the uterus. No more aunt flo, no new adhesions coming in.BUT adhesions already formed feed off estrogen.... So those adhesions can still cause problems. Depending on where they are, they could be removed. I've had several removed years ago, but had to have some left alone due to their location.
Unread 01-15-2010, 07:33 AM

Roozlilone,

I feel for you - you sound just like me. I am 38 had a lap done to get a cyst and they found the endo (couldn't even get to the cyst so the surgery felt like a waste of time) - it was really bad and she told me that my pain wasn't all from the new endo but from all the scar tissue in there and how everything was "glued" together. I opted for the hrt's but you may consider seeing how you do off of them. I think it all would boil down to what is your quality of life like. I have talked to many friends who either they did or had friends/family who had this done for the endo and I heard comments like - why didn't I do this sooner, I feel like a new person. So that helped me alot. BUT the horror stories you hear are from ones who kept their ovaries or are on Hrt's (that is why I am kind of thinking if I should get off them- we'll see). Not sure if I helped and it is so odd being on the opposite side. Seems like just yesterday I was joining this site and so nervous and now I can give advice! Praying you will have a peace about all of this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwag71 View Post
Roozlilone,

I feel for you - you sound just like me. I am 38 had a lap done to get a cyst and they found the endo (couldn't even get to the cyst so the surgery felt like a waste of time) - it was really bad and she told me that my pain wasn't all from the new endo but from all the scar tissue in there and how everything was "glued" together. I opted for the hrt's but you may consider seeing how you do off of them. I think it all would boil down to what is your quality of life like. I have talked to many friends who either they did or had friends/family who had this done for the endo and I heard comments like - why didn't I do this sooner, I feel like a new person. So that helped me alot. BUT the horror stories you hear are from ones who kept their ovaries or are on Hrt's (that is why I am kind of thinking if I should get off them- we'll see). Not sure if I helped and it is so odd being on the opposite side. Seems like just yesterday I was joining this site and so nervous and now I can give advice! Praying you will have a peace about all of this!
YOU sound exactly like me! I've been told everything is "glued" together also. It's so hard because I've heard both stories also, the good and the BAD! I know there is no easy answer. I HATE the unknown and I think that is what scares me the most, I don't know how my body will handle it. My mother also had breast cancer at the age of 50, so hrt scares me in that regard also. I feel like a big "baby" that I can't make a decision. I think it would be a little easier if I was older, but I feel like I'm just too young for this (although I know many women have done it much younger). It feels like the life I know is going to end January 21st!
Unread 01-15-2010, 07:59 AM

I had a DaVinci hysterectomy 15 days ago for severe endo (on my colon), adhesions, small fibroids and adeno. The gyn/oncological surgeon ended up removing one ovary because it was flipped over and stuck to my colon and pelvic floor. He felt that a lot of my pain was due to this along with the endo. I'm only 15 days out so I can't really tell you if it has permanently cured my problem. At this point, I feel like I can live with some cyclical pain, but the horrible uterine cramps from the endo and the adeno. will be GONE.

The DaVinci surgery went really well. I posted my story on the robot assited board and don't want to repost it all since the post will be pulled. I won't lie, I had some pain in the hospital and at home, but once I figured out a good pain Rx regimen then I was up and around. I went home from the hospital the next day and totally took it easy for one week while my mom was here helping...I barely lifted a dish. At week 2 I am now driving, taking my child to school, have met a few friends for lunch and doing some light laundry. I feel like I could do a lot more but I'm not pushing myself.

Only time will tell if this was the right thing to do. Just yesterday I told Dh "if I can feel this good all the time and not have a period, life will really be amazing!" I was having to plan my life around my periods, dosing up with meds days before it started, couldn't wear regular clothes and home bound for almost 2-3 days while screaming on the toilet in pain.
Unread 01-15-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozlilone View Post
YOU sound exactly like me! I've been told everything is "glued" together also. It's so hard because I've heard both stories also, the good and the BAD! I know there is no easy answer. I HATE the unknown and I think that is what scares me the most, I don't know how my body will handle it. My mother also had breast cancer at the age of 50, so hrt scares me in that regard also. I feel like a big "baby" that I can't make a decision. I think it would be a little easier if I was older, but I feel like I'm just too young for this (although I know many women have done it much younger). It feels like the life I know is going to end January 21st!
It is so nice to have someone who can relate! I can tell you the best way to look at it is that you will have the emotional side and the mental side to approcah it. Your emotional side will NEVER want to do this. But if you look at it taking your emotions out you will know what to do. For me - I was in so much pain and my quality of life was just getting bad. I was even working out with a trainer in 08 and 09 and before any of this started she said - I am worried about you. I was emotional on the field, I was not able to do things like I was doing before. (we were doing biggest loser type workouts so they were very rough). There was a post on here wish I knew what it was but talked about how all these women did so well not on hrt. Almost made me upset that I did start them and will try to see if maybe I can come off them! And I promise you life will not end the 21st! It will just be a new life and hopefully a better pain free life! My doc was upset that she had to do it so young but if you leave the ovaries in, you won't solve the problem and will be looking at more surgeries down the road. I am only at 5 weeks so I can't give you too much info since I don't really know yet myself. But my biggest thing was the hrt's too! Oh and I know she couldnt' get all the endo so I still have concerns about it from what I have read. No easy answer - I know!!!
Unread 01-15-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurgsoonTX View Post
I had a DaVinci hysterectomy 15 days ago for severe endo (on my colon), adhesions, small fibroids and adeno. The gyn/oncological surgeon ended up removing one ovary because it was flipped over and stuck to my colon and pelvic floor. He felt that a lot of my pain was due to this along with the endo. I'm only 15 days out so I can't really tell you if it has permanently cured my problem. At this point, I feel like I can live with some cyclical pain, but the horrible uterine cramps from the endo and the adeno. will be GONE.

The DaVinci surgery went really well. I posted my story on the robot assited board and don't want to repost it all since the post will be pulled. I won't lie, I had some pain in the hospital and at home, but once I figured out a good pain Rx regimen then I was up and around. I went home from the hospital the next day and totally took it easy for one week while my mom was here helping...I barely lifted a dish. At week 2 I am now driving, taking my child to school, have met a few friends for lunch and doing some light laundry. I feel like I could do a lot more but I'm not pushing myself.

Only time will tell if this was the right thing to do. Just yesterday I told Dh "if I can feel this good all the time and not have a period, life will really be amazing!" I was having to plan my life around my periods, dosing up with meds days before it started, couldn't wear regular clothes and home bound for almost 2-3 days while screaming on the toilet in pain.
I will definitely read your thread about the procedure. Thanks for being honest. So he kept one ovary?? My doc says they have to take the ovaries to help with the endo? Trying to figure how long I will really be off work. I have a desk job so I was thinking after a week, is that too soon?

Thanks for all the replies. Just having people relate and to talk to really helps!!
Unread 01-15-2010, 08:08 AM

roozlilone
All of us are scared. It is very normal.
I am glad you found this site. There is so much information. You will be able to make a really informed decision.
Maybe it would be an idea to get a second opinion.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Unread 01-15-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurgsoonTX View Post
I won't lie, I had some pain in the hospital and at home, but once I figured out a good pain Rx regimen then I was up and around. I went home from the hospital the next day and totally took it easy for one week while my mom was here helping...I barely lifted a dish. At week 2 I am now driving, taking my child to school, have met a few friends for lunch and doing some light laundry. I feel like I could do a lot more but I'm not pushing myself.

That is so great you are doing so well. I so wish I could have done surgery that way but I had it the good old fashion way due to the stage I was at. I had it on my colon too. She said it was "looped" around like 3 times. I am having lunch today with a friend who had it done with the Davinchi method over the summer and she said it was sooo much better then regular surgery! Well congrats on a good recovery and definitely keep taking it easy! I learnt that the hard way. I felt great then over did it then felt blah and had to take it easy again!
Unread 01-15-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozlilone View Post
I will definitely read your thread about the procedure. Thanks for being honest. So he kept one ovary?? My doc says they have to take the ovaries to help with the endo? Trying to figure how long I will really be off work. I have a desk job so I was thinking after a week, is that too soon?

Thanks for all the replies. Just having people relate and to talk to really helps!!
Too soon! Even for a desk job!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register