Question on leaving cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question on leaving cervix Question on leaving cervix

Unread 05-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Question on leaving cervix

Okay, one last stupid question (probably not). I'm having an LSH and they are leaving the cervix. If I understand my anatomy correctly, the cervix is the part of the opening between the vagina and the uterus. If they take the uterus and leave the cervix, do they stitch the cervix closed? If not, then how wouldn't vaginal bacteria and semen go up through the vagina and into the abdominal cavity since there is no enclosure on the other side of the cervix (the uterus use to be there)?

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but does anyone understand what I'm asking? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Question on leving cervix

Sounds right to me that it will be stitched closed. No question is stupid.

In all the reading I've done on this website, I still don't understand why the cervix would be left at all, since it's a part of the uterus.

Anybody?

SusieQ
Unread 05-06-2004, 12:20 PM

Yes, they stitch it.

The cervix is technically the "neck" of the uterus, but the muscular tissue in it is different than that of the rest of the uterus.

There are different points of view on leaving the cervix, and pros and cons. The first con I've heard is mini-periods due to leftover endometrial tissue. A surgeon who is experienced in this surgery will cauterize that tissue. I haven't had any bleeding.

The second con is fear of cervical cancer, but you can still get pap smears, which are no big deal, IMHO. Your risk of cervical cancer is low if you don't have a history of bad pap smears, and don't have multiple partners.

I personally kept mine, because removing it meant removing more supporting ligaments to which it was attached. As such, keeping it is less invasive.

I am an athlete and a weightlifter, and my doctor's opinions and experience repairing pelvic prolapses convinced me to keep it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2004, 12:28 PM

Tijunkie,

Thanks for the feedback. Mine was taken. I don't have any history of "reproductive" cancers in my family but wasn't given a choice anyway. Does age have anything to do with that decision? I was 45 at the time of my surgery and still having a very regular period.

I understand that even without the cervix, Paps are still necessary. I'm only 5 months out of surgery, so I haven't been back to my OB/GYN since she cleared me to come back to work, so I don't know yet what will happen in my case. She indicated a one-year time frame for my next appointment. My MD does "women exams" so I have some time to decide if I want to go back to her or not.

Both offices treat me well.

Thanks again for the info.

SusieQ
Unread 05-06-2004, 12:32 PM
To: goodygal

I agree with tijunkie's reply.

My Dr. also advised keeping my cervix. And I am happy I did!!!

I am 2 weeks post-op and I have heard of the "mini-period" too. From replys on other boards, many Hyster Sisters said they did not get them when they had a LSH. A good question to put out to fellow LSH Hyster Sisters? Has anyone had a mini-period??

Yes - keeping the cervix and ligament support was also discussed with my Dr. He thought it was important.

And - also when keeping the cervix - it can add to sexual satisfaction.

Good luck.
Unread 05-06-2004, 01:31 PM
hey tijunkie

I agree with tijunkie...when i go for preop i am going to make sure my md understands i want my cervix...Hey tijunkie....how long before you could resume weight training..i have been looking for someome who does that so I could ask...thanks!!!
Unread 05-06-2004, 03:01 PM

I actually waited about 8 weeks. Abdominals were uncomfortable up until then, and it didn't feel right getting into position for bench presses, etc. I had an SAH.

I kept myself moving by walking a lot before 6 weeks, and at about 5-6 weeks I got on the StairMaster.

After 8 weeks, I did light weight workouts for a few weeks, then moved gradually back up to where I was before surgery.

Don't forget to check with your doc!
Unread 05-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Re: Question on leaving cervix

Quote:
goodygal asks
I'm having an LSH and they are leaving the cervix. If I understand my anatomy correctly, the cervix is the part of the opening between the vagina and the uterus. If they take the uterus and leave the cervix, do they stitch the cervix closed? If not, then how wouldn't vaginal bacteria and semen go up through the vagina and into the abdominal cavity since there is no enclosure on the other side of the cervix (the uterus use to be there)?
Not a stupid question...actually, I don't think it would be a problem even if the cervix was not stitched. If it was that easy for bacteria to get past the cervix, uterine infections would be a lot more common than they are....I think the cervical mucus also plays a part in keeping bad guys (bacteria) out and letting good guys (semen) in.

As for others asking about "mini periods" when the cervix is left in...I've seen several posts mentioning that the person writing either did or didn't experience this. Apparently it's also possible to cauterize the cervix to eliminate any possibility of bleeding even if the cervix stays.

hope it helps,
cookie1956

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register