Billing Q: can I just be admitted at 12:01am? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Billing Q: can I just be admitted at 12:01am? Billing Q: can I just be admitted at 12:01am?

Unread 02-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Billing Q: can I just be admitted at 12:01am?

I'm having a HUGE surgery (abdominal hyster, tummy tuck, breast lift & implants) and have been warned that they will start it very early as the ob/gyn is the only dr in a satellite office that day. They said expect to arrive at 5am. Can I just ask to be admitted at 12:01? I mean, it's the same billing day so it's not like I'm adding an extra day. Am I oversimplifying this and these things are just not done?

I'd rather get in my room and get settled and possibly a little snooze before they wheel me down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Re: Billing Q: can I just be admitted at 12:01am?

Sorry from uk but didn't want to read and run. I hope someone has your answer but in uk your given a arrival time then once in hospital a op time once booked in. Good luck with your op. Your one brave lady
Unread 02-05-2011, 07:52 PM

You can ask, but normally you don't know what room you'll be in until after your surgery. Unfortunately waiting to go into surgery is the worst part. But since they asked you to be there so early, hopefully you won't have to wait so long. I left my bag in my car and my mom brought it up after I got to my room after surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2011, 08:01 PM

Maybe they will take pity on me since I will be alone. Have to drive myself or take a cab. My DH can't since take me as there is no need to bring our young kids out at 4:45am. My mom and her DH share a car for some crazy reason so they would both would have to come and spend the night to bring me that early and then sit there for 8+ hours until I am back in my room. My surgery alone is going to be 6 hours so add on all the pre-op time and the recovery time and it's a big waste of time for anyone to sit there all day.
Unread 02-05-2011, 08:25 PM

when i told my husband what surgeries you were having he said, "wow, you are getting aLL fixed up" i can't imagine have surgeries from one end to the other

really i would want to have the extra time after in case of uncontrollable pain than have the bed before, i don't think your insurance would pay for it.
Unread 02-05-2011, 08:59 PM

I actually had to laugh when you thought you'd have a snooze in the hospital...that just doesn't happen. I assume they want you there at 5:00 for the pre op prep and then you'll have surgery. I'd try to have someone drop me off or take the cab. You can ask the hospital and insurance about admitting ahead but I'd be surprised if they do. Good luck. You are taking on a lot!!
Unread 02-05-2011, 09:14 PM

Good thought- but what they did at my hospital was have me in pre-op room from 5:30 until surgery at 7:30- pre-op may not even be open at 12:01am- staff may not start getting there until 4:30am or something so that may not be an option. I woke up in recovery and had a short wait there until they could assign my room to me. My husband and dad didn't even know where to meet me until recovery room nurse called them once I was assigned a room number.

Good luck with your upcoming surgeries! You are taking on a LOT- but I suppose if they are willing, it's best to only be under that one time!

Amy
LAVH- 1/31/2011
Unread 02-06-2011, 07:25 AM

Seems unlikely but you could ask. I doubt you'd be allowed to sleep anyway as there are questions and admit procedures. And they need an empty bed plus a nurse for you---dont know how full your hospital runs. Putting someone in a room for their convenience is more like a hotel than a hospital, so I wouldn't expect a yes. And a hospital day may not start at that time for billing purposes, they have a different system from what I've seen. I'd sleep at home then take a cab. Good luck with those surgeries, and I hope you have a good recovery.
Unread 02-06-2011, 02:39 PM

Is it possible that you could drive yourself to the hospital and then have your mom or her husband drive your car back home for you? That would allow you to get a little bit of sleep in your own bed and get there at a time when the hospital would be ready to have you.

It never hurts to ask, in any case.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register