criteria for dismissal from hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

criteria for dismissal from hospital criteria for dismissal from hospital

Unread 05-12-2004, 09:44 PM
criteria for dismissal from hospital

I am so glad i found this site like some of you i too am very scared and seem to think about nothing but the surgery date but i have a question what is the criteria for being able to be discharged? I just love all my hyster sisters here and i will be praying for all for a speedy recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Pass gas and pee

My doctor said that as soon as I could pass gas and pee I could go home. Pretty simple, I guess!

Fell like the insurance companies are shoving us out the door practically.

Good luck to you!

Rainy
Unread 05-12-2004, 10:05 PM

Yes Girls,

You might want to add. Having a normal temperature as criteria to be dismissed.

But I want to tell you something really important. If you do not feel well enough to go home, be sure to tell your Dr. of your symtoms. He/She alone will be able to write you in for an extended and your Insurance Co. will, 99% of the time, approve the extra day(s).

Don't be afraid to speak up, ok? Remember that the best care is care co-managed with your Dr..

Hang in there. You're almost there s for you ALL and Much Love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2004, 10:08 PM

This is the criteria my surgeon told me:

-must be able to hold down food

-pass or a BM

-able to urinate (though some may go home with a catheter if that's all that's holding them back)

-pain is able to be controlled with oral pain meds

-no fever

-patient "feels" well enough to go home

These rules vary by different and hospitals though.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. Feel free to post any questions or concerns!

Laura
Unread 05-13-2004, 03:03 AM

I may be wrong, but I have read a lot of posts about post op infections. Is it possible that this is due to being sent home from the hospital so early? Just a thought. I would like to give your insurance companies a on your behalf, they seem a lot of the time to add to your suffering.

Take care ladies
Unread 05-13-2004, 05:00 AM
Discharge

Pauline, its funny that you mention maybe people getting post op infections due to being discharged too early. I have always felt that way due to the fact I had a simple laparoscopy last oct and went home the same day. most laps are day surg. i ended up back in the hospital for 4 days with a horrible infection. When I had my hyst my gyn kept me in the hospital for 5 days, this is standard for the pracitce i go to. I had a much speedier recovery from my hyst than from my lap. i do credit it to staying in the hospital a little longer. i was also in the maternaty section where it is pretty safe to say you are not going to catch any extra bugs floating around. i guess everyones experiance is different. Best of luck and god bless, baily
Unread 05-13-2004, 05:26 AM

It would be interesting to know if anyone else has thoughts on this.

Glad your recovery went well

Blessings
Unread 05-13-2004, 07:48 AM

Chances for infection are greater IN the hospital. Hospitals are teeming with germs.
Unread 05-13-2004, 08:13 AM

It's far more likely that you would get an infection in the hospital than at home. Hospital aquired infections are one of the biggest issues that hospitals have to deal with. As long as a person is stable and has a home situation that is condusive to being able to rest, home is much safer than in the hospital. personally I'm outta there as soon as they'll let me. But then again it's just the 2 of us at home, no kids to care for and my sweet guy doesn't care about the house being a mess or anything so I can rest to my hearts content.
Unread 05-13-2004, 11:01 AM
everyone is differant

I had my surgery about 2 weeks ago. They planned on me staying 3 nights but they let me go home 46 hours after my sugery. I had a slight fever but no big deal they said. I got more rest at home and was glad I went home. As long as I could get to the bathroom by myself and go they didn't see the need to keep me. Plus I asked the doc when he did rounds if I could go home. He was surprised that I wanted but I was feeling very good!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register