Remove vs. leave cervix - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Remove vs. leave cervix Remove vs. leave cervix

Unread 07-24-2010, 02:55 AM
Re: Remove vs. leave cervix

I didn't have a choice, my cervix was removed and I'm fine with it. I didn't spot until 4 weeks post op and that lasted for around 3 weeks. I haven't had any spotting now for 2 weeks. I do worry about things down the line like sex. It's been a long time for me, over a year. I asked the doc about that and she said it would probably hurt. Joy for me lol. I had to do the bowel prep. I got the grape flavor and OMG it was horrible! I wanted to hurl. I would recommend it though because the reason for it is the surgery will slow things down for awhile and then your stools that haven't been cleaned out will become impacted and that hurts like hell! That happened to me 3 weeks post op. Hurt worse than the surgery!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2010, 08:54 AM

There are different schools of thought about whether to keep the cervix or not. Some women are candidates to keep it and others aren't.

The cervix isn't a separate organ, but the lower portion of the uterus. Mine was removed during my TVH over 6 years ago and I've had no problems and I don't miss it.

There is an article on the Pre-Op Page that you might find helpful:

Keep Cervix? Hysterectomy Planning

Best wishes to you!

Deb
Unread 07-24-2010, 09:14 AM

Hi, I'm having a SAH the day before you. I have read the pros and cons and decided with the doctor to leave it. What made me decide is that it's a more complicated surgery to take it and possible more blood loss. I have multiple fibroids and a 5month size uterus, so I want to keep it less complicated and hopefully won't need a blood transfusion. Best of luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2010, 09:19 AM

Waaahh, my dr is taking my cervix out. I mentioned to him that heard removal of the cervix causes shortening of the vagina, leading to painful intercourse. He said that idea comes from a small study that was done somewhere in Europe, and the study was later proven wrong, or not statistically significant...I didn't think about the support issue. I don't think he will change his mind, though, and I do trust his judgement.
Unread 07-24-2010, 01:41 PM

My doctor will be doing advanced lap surgery with a retroperitoneal approach. He is a national expert in this technique. Here is what he said about the cervix and about bowel cleansing prior to surgery:

Cervix: It doesn't support the pelvic floor, the ligaments do. His approach reattaches the ligaments for support. Also, leaving the cervix leaves tissue that can adhere to the bowel and other structures resulting in painful intrcourse. He also said you can still bleed some with it left. He advocates for its removal. I'm very torn about this issue, myself, and I want to trust him.

Bowel prep: This is done to keep the bowel away from the operative field and avoid injury. Also, this helps with the constipation problem caused from the narcotic pain meds.
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:42 AM

I kept my cervix. I'm of the "if it aint' broke, don't fix it" mindset and my doc was very thorough in explaining the pros and cons of the situation. I had fibroids and no other issues so I kept it. It's been five months since my surgery and no sign of mini periods, sex is great and I haven't had any issues. I am comfortable with my decision and you need to feel comfortable with the one you make too.
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:32 PM
found cerix 6yrs later after hysterectomy

found cervix 6yrs later after hysterectomy

Well where do I start. I had a hysterectomy 6yrs ago. Thought I had a total. Just found out last week that I still have my cervix. Crazy, I know. A about week and a half ago i was wiping blood. Then I had an UTI. Went to the doctor and said I think the blood is coming from my vagina. When they checked that area, they found out I still had my cervix. I then went to my gyn doctor for an exam & paps test. 6yrs ago after I was released from my hysterecomy I never went back for an exam because I thought I had everything taken out and didnt need a paps. Now I have to sit and wait for my results to come back. Hopefully after all this time they dont find any cancer. my neighbor told me that she had hysterectomy 20 yrs ago. and thought she still had her cervix until a few yrs ago when they said she does not have one. How do we know for sure if they take it out or not. My first part of my paps came back ok. Hopefully the rest will too. I had a hysterectomy because I had a huge fibroid. Has anyone else had this happen to them.
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:11 AM
Re: found cerix 6yrs later after hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigG View Post
found cervix 6yrs later after hysterectomy

Well where do I start. I had a hysterectomy 6yrs ago. Thought I had a total. Just found out last week that I still have my cervix. Crazy, I know. A about week and a half ago i was wiping blood. Then I had an UTI. Went to the doctor and said I think the blood is coming from my vagina. When they checked that area, they found out I still had my cervix. I then went to my gyn doctor for an exam & paps test. 6yrs ago after I was released from my hysterecomy I never went back for an exam because I thought I had everything taken out and didnt need a paps. Now I have to sit and wait for my results to come back. Hopefully after all this time they dont find any cancer. my neighbor told me that she had hysterectomy 20 yrs ago. and thought she still had her cervix until a few yrs ago when they said she does not have one. How do we know for sure if they take it out or not. My first part of my paps came back ok. Hopefully the rest will too. I had a hysterectomy because I had a huge fibroid. Has anyone else had this happen to them.
I haven't had my surgery yet, but perhaps patients could ask for a copy of the doctor's surgical notes to see EXACTLY what was taken/left after surgery. Also, sched a check-up with the family dr to see if everything is healing properly-he/she could tell you if you still had your cervix...

What a bizarre story!
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:17 PM

I have a vaginal hysterectomy because of the reduced recovery time that is what I wanted and what the doctor recommended. Because of the type of surgery and the location of my huge fibroid, my cervice had to also be removed. I wish that were not the case, but I've no way to know how much of a role it played in orgasms. Although my doctor said that I have plenty of vaginal length still, I do believe I am a bit shorter from the difference in sex now. I don't want to scare you and am glad I had the surgery. I would do it again in a heartbeat because the pain and ridiculous bleeding is gone.
Unread 07-29-2010, 12:07 AM

Ladies need to know that whether or not their cervix has been removed, they DO need visits to their Gyn from time to time. Not for a Pap smear in the strict sense, but for vaginal smears. While vaginal cancer is not common, it does exist. Anyway, what about breast checks? A hysterectomy does not let us off the hook as far as Gyn check ups go.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register