Freaking out!!! Surgery on Monday - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Freaking out!!! Surgery on Monday Freaking out!!! Surgery on Monday

Unread 06-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Re: Freaking out!!! Surgery on Monday

Agree with all of you.. the waiting is the worst part of all this. My prior gyn was never around for the last three years and I was always seeing another dr in his place or a nurse practicioner bec he was out or running behind. We all knew I had fibroids but it was always the same.. iron pills and an ultrasound. The final word was always that yes I had large fibroids but they would shrink with menopause. Meanwhile, I was becoming more and more anemic due to heavy periods and started to have other symptoms like bloating, constipation and blocked urine flow.
I finally got myself another recommended gyn last March who after examining me was amazed that I hadn't had this done years ago. However, three months of iron iv infusions and lupron shots later I finally had my TAH. Three months of horrible anticipation! I just wanted it done and over with. Thank God, I am 11 days post op and feeling a bit better every day. My gyn even promised me a mini tummy tuck (which I got) if my hemoglobin numbers were good at the time of surgery! What a plus!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2009, 02:57 PM

I totally understand what you mean about freaking out. I have a little over a week left until my surgery, but, I guess my fear is of not waking up from surgery and leaving everyone behind.

Honestly, I am glad all those post op stories are there, even the bad ones, it makes me "Fear for the worse and hope for the best". Basically for me, I know now how bad it can be and pray that it's not as bad as some stories I've read. I don't know if that makes sense to you or not.

Hugs and prayers to you.
Unread 06-14-2009, 03:44 PM

I'm sorry that the post op board has you scared. Honestly, if you were to ask me during the first 2 weeks, YES I regretted the surgery because of the complications that I've had.

My first surgery was May 20 and repair May 25th. I'm almost 2.5 weeks postop from the 2nd surgery. I'm happy to say that right now, it's getting better. I still have my cath due to complications.

But, in the end, all my girly problems will be over with. I will be happy when I'm all healed and recovered. Postop is for support and to offer advice. I hope that you see it for all that's it's there for.

I know I needed a lot of encouragement after my surgery and it sure did help to know that I'm not alone.

Good luck Monday!

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2009, 04:01 PM

First I am new here and I am so happy to see this site.. I am in Barbados, Caribbean but from reading the posts here we have no boundaries with our procedure. I did extensive research prior to the surgery and I have no regrets... a lot of people tend to personalise their experience which is understandable, but when someone i seeking advise to quell their concerns I tend to say that for me it was a wonderful decision.

My ovaries were removed in my 20s due to ovarian cyst which ruptured.. I am now 38 and I had a TAH in May 2009 due to a high level of fibriods... the OBG said that he also removed a cyst during the procedure... I have already gone through menopause so I do not have to face that... I am looking forward to renewing my life free from a lifetime of pain, discomfort and pain.... I hope this too will be your testimony
Unread 06-15-2009, 04:09 PM

Hello,
I had abdominal hysterectomy, uterus, ovaries, and fallopian tubes removed on May 4th , 6 weeks ago,
I had a wonderful recovery, my surgery has healed with very little pain.
had no infection, no bleeding, I don't regret having the surgery,
I feel great, I still get tired if i am on the go all day, But that is part of the recovery. Be sure to rest ALOT and listen to the Doc.
Absolutely NO Lifting or Stretching, until Doc says it ok.
Eat healthy, Drink lots of water and Juice.
GOOD LUCK.
Unread 06-16-2009, 10:08 AM

HI everyone: Surgery is over with, yeah! It went well with no complications. However, I have had a temperature ever since surgery. It's still 99.2 today. Hopefully it's something to do w/the anesthesia or something and not a sign of infection anywhere. I have 4 small incisions and the surgery probably took a little over 2 hrs. I never did talk to my Dr. afterwards, but she may have and I just don't remember. Right before they wheeled me into the operating room, they administered the first drug that is supposed to calm me down, but I don't remember anything after that until the surgery was over. I was out!

I never needed any pain meds when I woke up. Most of my pain was from the gas and it was tolerable. I kept rating it about a 4-5 or 3-4 most of the time. I took some advil this morning for a bit of a sore throat and some abdominal pain. It's not that bad though. I do have 2 mouth sores from the tube they put in my mouth - ouch! One on the roof of my mouth and one on my lip. I must have bitten down or something, or they had a hard time getting it in. Anyway, no hot flashes or anything so far, so my ovaries must be still working?? I hope so. Maybe it's too soon to tell.

That's it for now. I'll probably post this on the post-op board.

Thank you all so much again for the great support!

Hugs,
Laurie
LSH
Unread 06-16-2009, 01:33 PM

Good to hear your trip to the Castle went good Laurie!
Take it easy.
Unread 06-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Glad everything went well. I am praying for a speedy recovery for you.
Unread 06-16-2009, 05:11 PM

Way to go !!! See you in the post op section.
Unread 06-16-2009, 05:18 PM

I am 6 months post op (TAH) and I had 2 days of walking slow and bent over. But after that did not need to use any pain meds. Starting walking the dogs and in fact walking as much as I could. Painted the kitchen after 2 weeks, went back to work after 3 weeks and am doing great. Small amount of swelly belly, but am back to normal exercising and feeling terrific. I hope it is the same for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register