Bowel Problems | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel Problems Bowel Problems

Unread 04-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Bowel Problems

ever since i can home from the hospital ive been having pain when i have to have a BM:cry: i was up most of the night trying to go with alot of pain and cramps is this normal i had a bm on friday and been eating good and drinking water im going to talk to my doctor monday but need help till then .

should i take elax i have took a stool softern

thanks for all your help your people in here are great[b]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Bowel Problems

I too had surgery the same date as you. I was up all night last night but I had a cup of coffee about 4 and a friend said that would make things worse. I found today that eating softer foods, plenty of fluid, gas-x after a meal and walking really helped calm things down. I have not eaten a "full meal" yet. My friend who had a hyst said it takes a while for everything in there especially the bowels to wake up as she states it. Hope this helps and finds you feeling better.
Unread 04-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Bowel Problems

Yes, take stool softners everyday, and if things still aren't happening try the exlax. Call your doc. to double check, but that's what they told me when I left the castle. Drink lots of water and eat as much fiber as you can. I'm almost 2 wks. post op and still having problems with my BM. Try your best not to strain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2005, 05:48 PM
Bowel Problems

i took milk of magnesia. (sp) worked great for me. the no-cramping formula. didnt take long. helped alot. i had more pain with my bladder. very mad at me for the surgery. took about 3 weeks before i could tingle with no pain.
Unread 04-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Bowel Problems

I can sympathize with you! I am almost 2 weeks out and that is one thing I dread. Other than that everything else has been fine. I know they say don't strain but heck, how do you not?!

My doctor has me on 2 stool softeners a day and told me that I can increase that to 3 a day if I need to. I take the anti-gas chewables after each meal also. I also drink water like I am suppose to and have not had a carbonated drink since my surgery! (My doctor said that could cause more gas and I sure don't want anymore pain than I have to have )

Try the stool softeners (as soon as you get the ok with the doc) and hopefully that will help.
Unread 04-24-2005, 06:22 PM
Bowel problems

I will be two wks post op tomorrow and con't to have bowel problems. Dr. has me on Colace twice a day and I have to be careful and make sure I am getting fiber (bran flakes, muffins, salads and yes, plenty of water). If I don't, then it is very uncomfortable and my stomach cramps and I get gasey.
Good Luck!
Unread 04-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Bowel Problems

Dear honey3:

Oh boy can I relate- my first 2 weeks were so tough with BM issues. What saved me was Colace (stool softner) along with Metamucil (natural fiber). I took the Colace once in AM and before I went to bed. I took the Metamucil in caplet form as I hate mixing up that powder and drinking that stuff. I took 3 caplets 3 x a day. The combo really worked for me. It took a couple of days but I felt so much better. For me personally I opted for Metamucil as it's natural fiber and just made of Psyllium which is not a stimulant, I didn't want to take stimulants such as Milk of Magnesia or Exlax because I thought they would give me the opposite problem. My doctor said that Metamucil or Citrucil type products balance things naturally. If you are constipated it helps and if you have diarrhea it helps that. But I know everyone is different. What works for some may not work for others. It is always best to check with your doctor if your at all skeptical. I know that when it was happening to me, a few times the pain was so bad I thought I was going to pass out. But if it is the typical post op poop pain, I assure you it will get better. Once I started the colace/metamucil routine things improved for me dramatically. Also, along with drinking lots of water, if you are able to do some walking, even short bouts that also really helps to get things moving.
Best of luck and feel better.

Judith
Unread 04-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Bowel Problems

Boy, this is a common problem. I definitely wouldn't take Ex-lax. I had the same problem too and am taking stool softeners and metamucil. (The metamucil give my bowels something to work with.)

Check out the posts from "intestinal pain with BM's"

It will get better!
Unread 04-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Bowel Problems

My heart goes out to you ladies...I had the same problems the first two weeks post-op. The first BM was awful, but each one after got a little easier. My urologist had told me that it takes about three weeks for things to get back to normal and he was right...three weeks was a turning point for me!

I made sure to eat plenty of fruits and veggies as well as Raisin Bran for breakfast every morning. Just be sure to increase you water intake with the fiber, too. My GYN had suggested a senna laxative (Senakot) or tea (Get Regular or Smooth Move) instead of Colace. He said the Colace can cause diarrhea and then you have that to deal with that. The senna tea worked great for me...a cup at bedtime and success by noon the following day. I only had to use it twice and then things got easier.

Hope this helps...hang in there, things get better bit by bit!

maggiemay
Unread 04-25-2005, 04:53 AM
Bowel Problems

Hola Ladies
I also had my op on 19th and other than in the castle when they "spice up" your food and I did about 4 visits to the loo night before I came out - and it was like wee, that has been it. I have been eating small salads, eating strawberries, drinking lots of juice, water, tea, walking as much as I can. Even having bran for breakfast, but no such luck. Desperation last night - took 2 sena tabs and also bran this morning. Still no BM at all. Terrible pains though. Just been up Drs and have been given duphalac (whatever that is here in Spain not too sure). Don't care if it will work. Can take another sachet tonight if nothing happens.
Good Luck everyone.
lol Carol xxx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register