Dr. said they may have sewn up a nerve or herniated incision - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr. said they may have sewn up a nerve or herniated incision Dr. said they may have sewn up a nerve or herniated incision

Unread 12-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Dr. said they may have sewn up a nerve or herniated incision

Wow. This is great information as I am meeting with a general surgeon on Friday to talk about options. I am so over the pain. It is truly just a 1.5 inch diameter in the far left corner near my hip bone. Mine feels like a burning sensation, but sometimes a stabbing pain too. Thank you so very much for responding. I have felt like I am the only one out there with this issue. Not that I wish this on anyone, but it is just good to hear from someone with similar issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2008, 02:10 PM

Sounds like mine. I hope it is the same...at least it is an easy fix. Good luck and let us know.
Unread 12-07-2008, 12:40 PM

Went on Friday (today is Sunday) to a general surgeon who determined it is not herniated. He believes it is a nerve issue, so he gave me a shot in my incision where the pain is of lidocaine & kenalog (a steroid). I dont' feel any relief and actually the pain is worse. I am disappointed. He wants me to come back in two weeks for another round of shots. I don't think I want to go for another round as it didn't help. Thought I'd share.
Unread 12-07-2008, 12:46 PM

Sorry to hear. I was hoping you would find some relief. I did have a day and a half of horrible pain but then it was great. At the end of the week the pain came back but very minimally (Ibu took care of it). Good luck and I am thinking of you.
Unread 12-08-2008, 01:47 AM

Cathy:
Was your surgery abdominal? I have an 6" vertical incision from belly button down to pubic area and I complained of pain at my 6 wk. check up
My doc also thought it might be a herniated incision, but never suggested doing anything... I am almost 11 months out and it is better, but I still have that one 2" spot just to the left of bb and down diagonally that hurts if I brush up against the kitchen counter or if my pants are tight. The other doc said something about nerves also... Must be more common than we know.
Unread 12-08-2008, 07:06 AM

My surgery was abdominal (through old C-Section incision). Both my OBGYN and the new General Surgeon felt for the herniation (made me stand up and cough a dozen times). They both ruled that out. I got a lidocaine and kenalog (steroid) shot on Friday, but feel no relief from it. It just left me with a nasty blueish bruise and some disappointment. I am certain at this point that they sewed up a nerve in my incision. It feels like a burning sensation in the far left corner. It is not encouraging to me to know that you are 11 months out and are still having pain on your incision. I keep hoping to wake up and feel like the old me.

My OBGYN told me that the surgeon could maybe try something called Radioactive Ablation. I don't know much about it, but they don't have to cut you open and it is supposed to "fix" the nerve issue. Thank you very much for responding. To know there are others out there with the same or similar issues, makes me feel less of a freak.
Unread 12-18-2008, 10:18 PM

I'm glad I"m not going crazy. The pain on the left side of my incision is getting worse. I am 3 1/2 months post surgery, TAH, and at first it would hurt if I stood too long or did too much. It felt like I was punched in the gut. Then there was the occasional stabbing pain or ache.

Now it hurts almost all the time - a near constant stabbing pain. I told my doc at all my regular appts and she seemed to think it would go away on it's own. I just saw her again this week and she thinks it may have something to do with a nerve. She is sending me to the general surgeon who closed for her (due to my previous TRAM for reconstruction from a mastectomy 9 years ago. )

I just want the pain to stop so I can get back to normal activity. The only thing that helps is to lie flat.

For those of you that have had a similar experience - how long was it before the condition corrected itself? I am afraid mine won't since it is getting worse.
Unread 12-19-2008, 02:04 AM

Natural:
It does indeed sound like this may be more common than they try to lead us to believe... I still get times (although they are getting rarer) that the pain takes my breath away... I actually do breathing /panting to relieve the pain. It must show on my face because my DH will actually ask me what is going on. I don't think mine will resolve itself at this point. I have tried to add more back bends to my exercise to loosen up those muscles.. My range of motion has lessened quite a bit .
Hoping you get some pain relief soon.
Unread 12-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Had some nerve pain too

My nerve pain started in the abdomen and shot pain down the outside of my leg to my knee. I dug for info online and discovered that it's the femoral cutaneous nerve and the problem is caused by the use of retractors during surgery. It can also happen because of being in the lithotomy position (during vaginal hysters). It usually resolves on it's own, but there is a med to try, and then the additional steps that some of you are doing. My doc prescribed a med that is helping, thank goodness. I'm feeling great at seven weeks post op, otherwise. Hope we all get relief and continue great recoveries!

Barb A.
Unread 12-19-2008, 09:22 AM

I've had the same thing on my left side. Thought it was just part of the healing process that was slow. Mentioned it to my Dr and he didn't seem to be worried about it. I'm only a week post op and it has gotten a little better so I'll just bring it up again at my 2 wk chkup if its not gone. Thanks for asking the question. Thought I was just being sensitive, lol.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register