6 weeks post hysterectomy. Slow healing - Did anyone need more than 8 weeks to return to work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 weeks post hysterectomy. Slow healing - Did anyone need more than 8 weeks to return to work? 6 weeks post hysterectomy. Slow healing - Did anyone need more than 8 weeks to return to work?

Unread 09-15-2016, 01:47 PM
6 weeks post hysterectomy. Slow healing - Did anyone need more than 8 weeks to return to work?

Hi ladies. Today I am 6 weeks post op and not where I thought I would be. I am still having a lot of pain, fatigue, and insomnia. Had folllow up with Dr on Monday he said I'm healing well but that he's not surprised I'm still in pain considering how much endometriosis and adenomyosis. (Sorry not sure how to spell that) I had. I'm supposed to go back to work in 2 weeks. I don't feel like I'll be ready. Did anyone need to take off more than 8 weeks? I am a teacher do I don't have he opportunity to sit down all day. Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2016, 02:14 PM
Re: 6 weeks. Slow healing

I'm 8 weeks tomorrow... I am still battling insomnia! It is ridiculous. I fall asleep, no problem. But about 1am, wide awake and I'm awake until 4. I got up the other night and washed the kitchen floor. I was up, I wasn't going to sleep, why waste the awake time. I'm back to work 4 weeks already! That's fun to work all day and stay up all night. I'm typically exhausted when I get home (cue the yawn as I'm typing) but sleep is fleeting.

I'm very lucky there has been no pain, silly twinges here & there but nothing extreme. I hope you are feeling better soon. I don't know what to say about the insomnia, I haven't found the sure to that just yet!
Unread 09-15-2016, 05:57 PM
Re: 6 weeks. Slow healing

A lot can happen in two weeks for the good. The difference was noticeable when I went from being post-op to feeling human again.

Start keeping a diary of your symptoms, it might be that your hormones are out of balance. Even if you kept your ovaries, the trauma of surgery can have them "off line" for a while, and the doctor may be able to prescribe something for the short term.

Also, jot down your exact duties at work - including standing, carrying, lifting, moving. Discuss it with your doctor and see if you'll need to modify anything or if you need to stay out longer. I don't know what age you teach, but consider carrying smaller loads, investing in a stool with a chair back to sit on, having the students bring their work to you rather than walking around to collect it, and if you have a lot to carry in, get some help from coworkers.

Until then, rest well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2016, 08:50 PM
6 weeks post hysterectomy. Slow healing - Did anyone need more than 8 weeks to return to work?

I returned to work at 4 weeks. I'm an assistant manager for Kohl's, so I'm on my feet all day, too. This may not be an option for you, but the first two week I was back, I did 6 hr shifts instead of 9. This allowed me some extra time to get over the fatigue. My fatigue level was horrible!!!

I'm 8 weeks now and am back to full time. At 4-6 weeks, I was really wondering if id ever feel normal again. What a difference a few weeks make!
Unread 09-15-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlij View Post
I returned to work at 4 weeks. I'm an assistant manager for Kohl's, so I'm on my feet all day, too. This may not be an option for you, but the first two week I was back, I did 6 hr shifts instead of 9. This allowed me some extra time to get over the fatigue. My fatigue level was horrible!!!

I'm 8 weeks now and am back to full time. At 4-6 weeks, I was really wondering if id ever feel normal again. What a difference a few weeks make!
Thank you. Good to hear!
Unread 09-15-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlij View Post

Thank you for your reply. Great advice.
Unread 09-16-2016, 01:46 PM
Re: 6 weeks post hysterectomy. Slow healing - Did anyone need more than 8 weeks to return to work?

If you can afford to take longer off work my advice would be to do so, I was advised to take longer than the 6.5 weeks I took off but went against my Drs advice as I couldn't afford to stay off any longer, despite going back on short time I fully regret not listening to my Dr. I'm now week 10 and in quite a bit of pain, lots of swelling and discomfort, to be honest I've had a rotten couple of weeks and having spoke with my dr today I'm told I've done too much too soon, hysterectomy alone is major surgery but like you I had severe endo removed and adeno and some work done to my bowel. I'm back to short shifts for 4 days next week and then I've booked 2 weeks off to try and fully recover!

Listen to what your body is telling you and be lead by that!
Unread 09-16-2016, 04:56 PM

I am also a teacher and told work I would be out 8 weeks. My second po appt is at 7 weeks so it works out well for me. Right now I am 3 weeks and am not even close to being able to work so hope I see big improvements over the next few weeks.
Unread 09-17-2016, 03:50 AM
Re: 6 weeks post hysterectomy. Slow healing - Did anyone need more than 8 weeks to return to work?

Hi,
I am a teacher and I return to work after 4 weeks. First few days back I experience lower back pain at the end of the work day, which I think was because I was on my feet all day. Back pain is now nonexistent. The only thing I am still dealing with is insomnia. I average 2 - 4 hours a night. I really can't explain how I am functioning on so little sleep. I don't feel tired during the day. I struggle at night with falling asleep and staying asleep. This is 7 weeks since my surgery and I've tried just about every natural sleep aid ( teas and melatonin pills). I am hoping soon this too shall pass. Doctor told me this is a normal side effect from surgery.
Good luck on recovery and get plenty of rest.
Unread 09-18-2016, 08:39 AM

Raises hand: Me! I ended up being off work for a total of 14 weeks. I had severe (Stage IV) Endometriosis with numerous bowel wall implants and adhesions. My cervix was adhered to my rectum. My doctor had a colorectal surgeon in the OR to assist. I kept being told (even in the hospital) that I would only need six weeks off of work. I initilally requested 8 knowing that I'm a slow healer. My doctor's office whited out the 8 and changed it to 6 on the disability paperwork. I have a physical job in retail. I'm on my feet for 8 hours a day and have to be able to lift up to 50 pounds.

At my six week appointment, they extended my time off to 8 weeks because of slow healing. I returned full-time at 9 weeks. I hadn't been back for a full week when I started having spotting and bleeding at 10 weeks. I called the doctor's office and got an appointment. They immediately took me off work for an additional week. I had to get a CT scan done and they prescribed Estrace vaginal cream, suspecting dryness was the cause. I had one stitch on my vaginal cuff that was being slow to heal.

I had another appointment a week later and was still spotting. They wouldn't release me back to work until the spotting stopped. I had zero spotting the first 8 weeks. It was only until after I tried to go back too soon even at 9 weeks. Us Endo gals seem to be slow healers. When I did return again at 15 weeks, I worked 4 hour days the first two weeks backs. Needless to say, this was a much better arrangement than 40 hours right away!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register