Pain Pill Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain Pill Question Pain Pill Question

Unread 10-29-2002, 02:20 PM
Pain Pill Question

Wow! I just joined today, and I feel like I'm loading these message boards down!

I have had horrible experiences with codeine pain pills, and for some reason lots of doctors prescribe codeine-deritaves, thinking they'll be okay, but they aren't. (With my previous lap. 10 yrs. ago, I threw up for 2 days following surgery -- that was fun -- LOL!) So, my current doc has been giving me Demerol, but since it's a controlled narcotic, I have to show my driver's license when I get it filled. When I had my lap a couple of weeks ago, we drove thru the drug store's drive-thru pharmacy, and had to sit there for about 15 mins. waiting for the prescription to be filled. I am thinking this will not be a very pleasant experience, on the way home from the hysterectomy, but if I have to show my license, what other options do I have? Will I be able to send DH for the script after he gets me home and tucked into bed? Will they let him show HIS license to get it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2002, 02:28 PM
Pain Pill Question

Hi cpaz

Welcome to Hystersisters---best site for support, comfort, and information!

Regarding your pain RX question---when you go for your pre-op (which is generally a few days before your surgery) you could ask your doctor to write the script then, so you can fill it before going to the hospital.

Also, when you get your surgery date make sure that you go into your profile page and add it, so when your big day arrives we can send you off with Best Wishes!

Feel free to post any further questions you may have and we'll try to find answers for you.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 10-29-2002, 02:37 PM
Pain Pill Question

Hi cpaz,

I was reading your post and wondering why you have to show a drivers license for a perscription? Is this a state policy? I see you are from OK. I have not had to do that. My doc perscribed Oxycodone when I got out of the hospital. My dh took me home from the hospital and went to get the perscription filled. There was not a problem! There are many pain meds out there that you can use. If you have a good relationship with your Pharmacist can you call and ask him/her what you need to do in this case that you will not be able to be with your dh to p/u the perscription. Or ask them what pain meds the dr. can perscribe that you wouldnt have to show your d/l.

I dont know if I've helped at all but you may want to make a few phone calls so that this is not on your mind to worry you before your surgery. Best of luck to you! I hope your surgery goes very well and your recovery is uneventful!!

CoryAnn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2002, 02:57 PM
Percodan (oxycodone)

CPAZ:

Me too on the codeine allergy!!! Bummer isn't it. Knocks out most of the meds you hear about on this board that work so well for so many people, but we must avoid them. Also, Shelley is right about getting the script filled ahead of time if possible. My problem with that is that I won't see my doc again until day of surgery. Perhaps I should phone.

Cory Anne:

I am hoping for percodan (oxycodone) for post-op pain. Had it before with no problems except that I slept most of the time - wait, that's not a problem!
Unread 10-29-2002, 04:08 PM
wow there are a lot of Shelleys' and Michelles'

Michelle35,

Yup, the Oxycodone worked great! I did sleep alot while I was taking it but it did the job and I never had a problem with feeling nauseus or getting sick. Hoooray!! Good luck on that....Oh also, when you said Shelley was right.........I thought you were referring to me because my name is Shelley, also, and I couldnt figure out how you knew my real first name. Then I saw that Shelley2 responded to the post! She registered to the site before me and so I had to pick something else! LOL!!!!!

cpaz:

good luck to you. See if you can get the perscription ahead of time. Thats the best advice!

CoryAnn (Aka Shelley)
Unread 10-29-2002, 04:36 PM
Pain Pill Question

I had my pre-op today and asked if I could get my RX before hand. I have had the not so wonderful experience of waithing in the car for DH to fill meds before. The doctor told me that it could be filled in the hospital before I leave. Problem solved for me!
Good luck to you!
Unread 10-29-2002, 06:02 PM
Pain Pill Question

Thanks for all the help on this! It is a great idea to get the RX beforehand, and I will definitely do that. It must be a state law or something, because I've had it filled at 3 different pharmacies, and all 3 made me show the DL. Also, my friend's brother and sister are pharmacists, so I'll ask her tomorrow.

CPaz

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register