LAVH 7 weeks 2 days post hysterectomy - Feel AMAZING!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 weeks 2 days post hysterectomy - Feel AMAZING!! 7 weeks 2 days post hysterectomy - Feel AMAZING!!

Unread 11-23-2014, 09:05 PM
7 weeks 2 days post hysterectomy - Feel AMAZING!!

For anyone who has read my posts, it is no secret that I have had a really easy recovery. I never had any spotting or bleeding. I only had one day of what I would call pain (and that was gas pain). I never had any bowel issues or bladder issues. No yeast infections, no oozing incisions or anything either. I only took 3 Perocet during my recovery and not too many Tylenol either. Swelly belly was the biggest of my complaints. I still have swelling here and there too. Here's a bit of my story... it's a little long so I'll highlight the important parts.

Anyway, before my surgery I bled almost continuously. I lived with a constantly low hemoglobin count because of the blood loss. Even when my periods were 'normal' (for me) my hemoglobin was never over 9. I had two different doctors examine me during my bleeding (both on what I considered light days) and they both told me that I was bleeding harder then than most women do on their heaviest days. I was bleeding during my surgery and they couldn't get over how much blood there was.

Anyway, I spent at least $100 a month on tampons and pads, another $60 a month on iron supplements and had to buy new underwear every month because I ruined so many pair. I had to always know where the nearest bathroom was and be prepared to make a mad dash. I was constantly exhausted due to the anemia. I craved ice and broke 2 teeth chomping on ice. I couldn't walk more than 10 feet without being completely out of breath and having to rest. I was in a constant state of dizziness. I had heart palpitations and my head was always swimming. I had horrible mental fogginess. By the end of the day I could barely move my body was so run down. In the night I suffered with Restless Leg Syndrome. My gums were white. My lips were blue. I was in pretty bad shape. Sad thing is, I didn't even realize it!

I had a blood transfusion in September when it was discovered my hemoglobin was 3.6. I had been bleeding for 4 weeks with 3 long periods (only a few days to a week break in between them) before that. We got the bleeding stopped with the help of birth control pills and was hoping to put off any further treatment for the issue. I was told to skip the placebo pills to keep my period away to help my blood build. Right before I got to the placebo pills I started bleeding. The next day it was so heavy that I almost went to the ER. I went through 20 ultra absorbent tampons and 10 pads in 2 hours. My husband rushed to the pharmacy to pick up my pills. I took one and the bleeding slowed. The next day it was the same thing. I gushed and gushed blood, took a pill and the bleeding slowed within an hour. On day 5 of my period, 4 of the hemorrhaging, I was scheduled for an endometrial biopsy. I took my birth control pill at 5am because I started gushing blood at 3 and knew I couldn't wait any longer to take it or it would just get worse. By my 10:30 appointment it had slowed down considerably by my standards, but the doctor said I was still bleeding rather profusely. I had blood work the day before and my hemoglobin was 7. She wanted to do another transfusion but after seeing me and how much I was bleeding she said that my uterus needed to come out NOW. By 11:00 my surgery was being scheduled. I had it done 2 hours later. Talk about fast! I had no time to worry, that's for sure! Blood tests done right before surgery showed my hemoglobin had dropped to 6. That was one point in less than 24 hours. Had I let it go I would have been right back to 3 before I knew it (and likely died, the doctor told me).

So... I had a blood transfusion during my surgery. I left the hospital with an 8.7 hemoglobin. They told me it would take months for my body to recover and for my blood to rebuild itself. The doctor said she could get me to 12, but it would take a while. She hoped to have me there within 6 months. I had blood drawn after my 6 week checkup and she called 2 days later with the results... 11.8!! Just 6 weeks after surgery!!

I feel like a new woman. I have NEVER had so much energy or felt so good. It is amazing!! I wasn't happy about having to have the surgery. We wanted another baby and had been trying for years. I still find myself wondering if I could have done something differently and held on to my fertility. However, looking back, I was dying. I really was. The doctor said it wouldn't have been long before my organs started to shut down with my hemoglobin as low as it was. I could have had a heart attack at any moment. I was in bad shape. I have 2 kids that I am very thankful for and I need to be here for them. The surgery was a success and I am so much better off for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2014, 01:41 AM
Re: 7 weeks 2 days post hysterectomy - Feel AMAZING!!

That is great news. I can only imagine what it was like and the new person you are now.
Unread 11-25-2014, 05:30 AM
Re: 7 weeks 2 days post hysterectomy - Feel AMAZING!!

My story is very similar to yours. Anemia was killing me and I didn't realise until I collapsed at work and had to have a transfusion. HG dropped to 3 and I experienced all the symptoms you describe above- heart palpitations, swimming head etc. I feel lucky to be alive today. God bless you and thank you for sharing your story.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register