Right out of Surgery suggestions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Right out of Surgery suggestions Right out of Surgery suggestions

Unread 07-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Right out of Surgery suggestions

OK, I have my suggestions to add to TAH ladies in waiting. Actually, I think the forums and the documents covered things rather well, but I want to put in my three cents while things are fresh in my mind.

My surgery was Friday and I was in the hospital until Tuesday because of the size of the fibroids and incision.

1) Make sure you have some potassium before your hospital visit. I don't know if it would have helped me....but the worst pain I had up front was where my entire stomach would spasm or clench.

2) Keep a notebook. If someone is staying with you, just track things that happened and when they happened (and who was on duty). I was groggy enough, I couldn't remember some of the detail or even the order in many cases. I also would have liked to write down who made what decision and refer back to it later if needed. If the floor is too busy to remind you to walk (as was mine), then schedule out some times when you think you will be able.

3) I did not use any nightgowns of my own there.....however, the lifesaver was a button down shortsleeve nightgown that I draped over my shoulders and snapped when I went for my walks (just enough coverage).

4) Make sure you or whoever stays with you is ready to protect you from sloppy PTAs or nurses. Say NO very loud and clearly when necessary. Just because you are a patient doesn't mean you are supposed to let them make you miserable because it is easier for their schedule. I had some AWESOME nurses and PTAs and I had situations where the demon PTA had to be out to hurt me (stepping on catheter, hooking something on my IV EVERY time, not stopping the bed when I needed a break to straighten up to name a few). But most importantly, it was near the end of my stay before I just said NOT NOW, when I knew something would keep me from recovering from nausia. The notebook can help your family help YOU plan on things that will make more sense and keep you comfortable.

5) Stimulation socks vs. booties. If you have vericose veins be VERY persistent that you cannot use the socks no matter what....they are terribly painful (it certainly caused some chain pain in my case....). Make sure that any requests are NOTED ON YOUR CHART!

6) Breathing machine - I was so frustrated with time. They wanted me breathing with this each hour....well, try to find the time in between all the other things they needed to do and the walks! Yes, it HELPS quite a bit. Write the times in your notebook. But don't stress over it...do the best you can.

7) Walks - (The first one is REALLY hard). But after every walk you will feel better.

I hope some of this helps or reinforces what has been said.....Good luck to you and see some of you in recovery! Feel free to ask questions.....I'm woozy and not on the internet much during recoop, but I'll try to answer anything I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register