LAVH Could my vaginal cuff stitches be infected? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Could my vaginal cuff stitches be infected? Could my vaginal cuff stitches be infected?

Unread 04-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Could my vaginal cuff stitches be infected?

I have thoroughly freaked myself out reading past posts about torn vaginal cuffs and infections. I had my davh on the 10th & things were going really well for me but I am a slow healer and have issues controlling pain because of chronic pain issues so I had to go and see my doctor on Thursday before I could get more pain meds. Everything looked good and he was surprised I was getting by on 2-3 Vicodin a day(I can't take ibuprofen). He did tell me that if I felt things were worsening or not getting better he would order a cat scan. A couple of hours after my exam I had a lot more pain and have been taking two Vicodin every 4-6 hours since. I figured it was just from the internal exam he did. The abdominal pain is better but yesterday I had diarrhea and have felt pain/irritation in the vaginal cuff area since. It seems to be getting worse and the Vicodin isn't really helping. I really don't want to call or go in to the ER because it isn't severe but I am feeling really on edge and near tears. I don't know what to do. Any advice? I might be able to see my primary care doc tomorrow if she is working the urgent care clinic...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Re: Could my vaginal cuff stitches be infected?

I would call your doctor on Monday morning or even tomorrow and leave a message and tell him what you told us. Going from 2-3 Vicodin a day to 2 every 4-6 hours is a HUGE jump. I think he would want to know that. I wouldn't want to go to my PCP. He/she would want to do an internal exam and then probably will send you to your surgical doctor anyway, and that would be another internal. You don't want to put your body through that.

Is there a reason you don't want to call your surgical doctor? I really think he would want to know you took a big nose dive. Good luck.

Unread 04-27-2013, 10:53 PM

Pinky&thefonz, Hi there I had to reply cuz I am 15 days post-op and started feeling the same symptoms at 10 days.Went to my Dr and was checked he did pelvic and intranet vag ultrasound.He said possible cuff infection put me on two antibiotics.Long story short admitted into hospital on day 12 was there for
3 days.Worst experience ever listen to your body call your Drs office there should be a call center they will call you back.After lots of IV antibiotics and rest countless tests and a CT scan I pray I am back on track to my recovery. Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2013, 12:28 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think I don't want to bother the doctor this evening unless my pain worsens. It is the weekend, and I hate to be a bother. I always tell others to call but then put it off as long as possible for myself. Dumb, I know. I will call in the morning. I have been using lots of ice and think I can go to sleep now. I agree, I should probably see someone tomorrow and the fewer internal exams the better!
Sorry to hear Adrianne1 that you had to go back into the hospital! That sounds discouraging. Though hearing that made me decide to call the dr in the morning instead of trying to push it to the morning. Thank you for reminding me to tak things more seriously.
I hope you both heal up soon.
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:12 AM

I talked to the on call doctor and he said I could probably wait until tomorrow for the ct scan but I had a hard time sleeping, feel really on edge and have had a hard time keeping comfortable. I don't have a fever but can't find my thermometer, of course. Trying to decide if I want to go to the ER.
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:12 PM

Just be aware of fever or chills and body
aches it's usually a sign of fever. Best thing is a blood test to check your white blood count that's how they can tell if there's usually an infection and usually results back next day. If there is an infection you need to get on top of it. The sooner the better you'll feelThe CT scan did show fluid in my vaginal cuff so there was definitely an infection and those results are pretty fast. Your in my thoughts and prayers hope you feel better soon. Have you tried ibuprofen for the pain and swelling? Take care
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:18 PM

Thanks Adrianne1. I can't take ibuprofen but I am taking vicodin regularly to stay on top of the pain. I am also using ice packs but get tired of having a frozen vajayjay! I have set my alarm so I can call my Dr first thing and get back in to see him. My temp is still in the normal range but I am normally low (hypothyroid) and it is slowly rising. I am glad I waited for tomorrow instead of going to the ER. I slept for six hours this afternoon, pain woke me up. I also feel like I am getting a yeast infection but I don't think it is yeast. Looking forward to knowing what is going on. Thank you for your thoughts!
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:29 PM

Hi Pinky&thefonz, just wanted to see if you made it to the Dr? Hope your feeling better and you've progressed. Take care.
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:11 PM

Thanks for asking! I had a CT today and see the dr on Thursday. The pain has improved but am still using pain meds. Still no fever but am running higher temp than normal for me. I habe low body temp because of thyroid issues. One of the side effects of the contrast for the CT scan causes diarrhea and that is what started the pain in the first place. so far no diarrhea but I need to drink more fluids to flush out my kidneys. Oh, the fun we get to have!!
How are you doing? Would you mind sharing more of your experience with infection?
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:13 PM

Well I started feeling real sick on Sunday and saw Dr Monday by Wednesday was in hospital. He said my vaginal cuff was infected. I had the CT scan on Wednesday which showed fluid on the upper part I feel that's probably why I could barely walk with pain. I had horrible metallic taste from CT. Aweful! He first started me on two antibiotics Zosyn and Flagyl. I had a bad experience with the flagyl severe headache,nausea and Stiffening of the neck. So after he switched them 4 days later I finally started to come around. That stuffs the devil. So my white blood count went from 12k to 6k and all my other blood work he said was "pristine." So after two more days on the new antibiotic I felt better so he released me and taking Augmentin now. I took myself off everything on Thursday when I was in hospital other than antibiotic I can't stand meication and rather just deal with it and since then I feel so much better. My follow up is Friday so I'll know more. Not sure when I'll be released for work but I don't feel ready yet. I eat Greek yogurt and Yakult for the diarrhea I have had for 5 days. Will the Dr call you today with the CT results? No blood work was ordered?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register