abdominal myomectomy Nov 24 -nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

abdominal myomectomy Nov 24 -nervous abdominal myomectomy Nov 24 -nervous

Unread 10-31-2014, 02:42 PM
abdominal myomectomy Nov 24 -nervous

After a year or more of feeling like something was wrong (swollen abdomen, irregular cycles) I finally went to the dr and was diagnosed with several large fibroids inside my uterus and one penducalated fibroid on the right side that is pressing against my ureter. My OBGYN scheduled me for an abdominal myomectomy. She said she will need to cut vertically and not the lower bikini cut because they're so large (approx 20 week pregnancy). I've never had surgery before and I'm nervous about pretty much all of it especially getting a catheter, the risk of infection, having to need a hysterectomy, kidney damage. If I need a catheter I want it in while I'm under and out ASAP. Anyone have advice, thank you. I've cried a lot already, more to come I'm sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2014, 03:56 PM
Re: abdominal myomectomy Nov 24 -nervous

Hi NannyCori,

I had an abdominal myomectomy last week with a vertical incision. First, I won't tell you it's easy or that I feel better yet. I am very happy to have my tumors out. An abdominal myomectomy is about as radical as it comes without a hysterectomy. So, if you have not had a second and third opinion about your options please do not do this until you do. Also, make sure they have tried to shrink your tumors first, if possible. I had 14 tumors. 4 ranging between 5 to 8 in. Yes, inches. I was distended to about 32 weeks pregnant and my tumors were in all areas including inside the uterus. This was my best option to hopefully become a parent someday. I had a multidisciplinary team of physicians lead by a Urogynocologist all which work at one of the top 5 hospitals in the US, also best in the region. I'm not bragging, I sought out excellent experience, options, knowledge from my doctors and could NOT have found many better. Yet, with all of that this has not been easy. It will get better. Yet, if you can take a different path.....do so.
Unread 10-31-2014, 05:36 PM

I agree that you should get multiple opinions. I have 3 large fibroids (1 is 7-8 cm) and my surgeon, if I decide to go through with a myo,would do a bikini cut so vertical isn't always necessary.

Also depending on the size of the stalk UFE maybe an option for you. Two of my fibroids are on stalks. From what I have read stalks bigger than 2 cm can be treated with UFE but anything less is not recommended.

Catheters are not bad but I would recommend that you use something like AZO afterwards. It basically turns your urine into a numbing agent so it doesn't hurt to pee. Warn the hospital staff though because it also dyes your pee orange. I was planning on taking it right before they pulled my catheter and had gotten the NP to approve it. Now I am in the waiting game again so may not have to worry about it.

Good luck with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2014, 06:32 PM

By the way, I had no issues with the catheter. They put it in while I was under. I was awake when they removed it 5 days later. It was far from traumatic. Quite an easy experience.
Unread 10-31-2014, 07:26 PM
abdominal myomectomy Nov 24 -nervous

Thank you all! I feel much better about the catheter. I will use that stuff to numb me, I don't want to have issues with urinating. I've asked other drs their unofficial opinion (without an exam) and they seem to agree because my uterus is filled with fibroids. The ultrasound techs (had 2 ultrasounds) couldn't count them all. Thanks....is there a thread here for any more post op advice specifically for a myomectomy? You all have been so helpful.
Unread 11-01-2014, 08:59 AM

I had a UFE, not a myomectomy but I've had surgery itself quite a few times. When I had my appendix taking out my catheter was put in while I was under. You can always ask for it to be done while you are under. Most surgeons are very accommodating and understand that many patients are very nervous. When I had my knee surgery last year I was such a nervous wreck that they actually gave me an iv sedative before my procedure while I was in the holding room. You can always ask for this as well. Trust me, it helped a ton. Just be open with your surgeon about how you are feeling. When I had my UFE a few weeks ago I asked my family doctor for anxiety medication to take up until the surgery. I had my IR's permission of course. There are options for you to utilize heading into surgery. It can be very intimidating and scary. Don't be afraid to ask for something to make it more comfortable for you. Wishing you the best
Unread 11-03-2014, 02:54 PM

I had a myomectomy to remove several large fibroids about 6 years ago. The surgery itself really wasn't bad (and I had all the same worries you do- that's normal!). I did not have a catheter (I wish I did- I had to get up to urinate several times that first night and it was a huge pain in the rear getting up from my hospital bed, IV in tow, belly swollen.....). I spent the first week after surgery mostly sleeping, as I'm sure you will, too. I was offered a valium prior to surgery and it made me super agreeable- so much so that I walked myself into the surgery room accompanied by a nurse. It's a good way to begin the experience if you're feeling anxious. I had absolutely no pain at all, except for the very first moment I woke up. No sooner did the pain register in my head, a nurse came over and offered me a shot of morphine. Take it. The pain is gone in a split second and you're off recovering in comfort.

If you're having the surgery strictly to get rid of fibroids, there are other options and I agree with those who are encouraging you to check them out. But, if you do have the myomectomy, hang in there! It's really not that bad.

And all that said, keep in mind, it may not solve your problem long-term. I just registered on this site today because, 6 years later, my fibroids have come back with a vengeance. Another myomectomy is not an option this time, for me, and I am likely going to opt for a hysterectomy. Either way, best of luck to you!
Unread 11-04-2014, 02:10 PM

Hi,

I had an open myomectomy on the 17th of September. It was one large fibroid on the outside of my uterine wall. It was 25 pounds when it was taken out. I had a vertical incision from the top of my stomach to my bikini line. I will say that you will be nervous the entire time till the nurse gives you something to calm your nerves and the next thing you will remember is the nurse waking you up.

You will have a morphine drip which makes life nice and you can push the button anytime you want. You will feel the catheter but it is not painful and it coming out is as quick as taking a deep breathe in.

You will have to walk after a couple days and it is rough but it is not the end of the world. Each day it gets better trust me. The pain is manageable and take meds on a time schedule and not when you start to hurt. If you decide to take it when you start to hurt, trust me...it is no fun waiting for it to kick in. Please take it every 4 hours or sooner when they start letting you take pill form meds.

Take your time to recover and do not rush it. You will walk as fast as a herd of turtles but it is normal and to be expected so do not push yourself too much. I would wake up and brush my teeth and comb my hair and be exhausted and ready for a mid morning nap. If you have people that are there to help you then take advantage of that help.

I wish you the best of success with your surgery.
Unread 11-07-2014, 11:20 PM

Thanks everyone - it's so nice to be able to talk to other women who have been through the same. I had an appointment today with my surgeon. I had a 2nd ultrasound last week to confirm what was on the first...I also have a cyst on my right ovary. I asked as many questions as I could including the numbing agent with the catheter (I get that), minimizing bleeding and adhesions, I have to do a bowel prep (yay).

I'm really looking forward to not feeling uncomfortable, having regular cycles again, and getting this thing over with. Two more weeks. Sometimes I feel like it's ok and I'm confident every thing will be fine with no complications and then other times I get anxious and almost feel claustrophobic.

Thanks again everyone. All of your replies mean the world to me and are helping to keep me sane.
Unread 11-14-2014, 07:33 AM

Hello nannicori,

I had open abdominal myomectomy 9/8/14. 13 Fibroids, ranging from grapefruit size to grape size--a whole fruit basket basically.
The one bit of advice I can offer is that the skill of your surgeon has a LOT to do with options you will be offered. The skill of your surgeon also has a lot to do with your recovery.

Aside from having a huge fibroid, like the person above who said theirs was 25lbs, usually there is not any reason that a bikini incision cannot be done.

Fact is, a full term baby can be delivered through a horizontal incision 4-6 inches in length.

A skilled surgeon makes the horizontal incision, and spreads the abdominal muscles apart-no muscle needs to be cut, they are just stretched.
Personally, I'd be seeking a 2nd or even 3rd opinion. It is more difficult to recouperate from a vertical incision.

I've written some here about my abdominal myomectomy in this section. I've not finished it all, because to be honest, when you're feeling well & surgery is done, you don't think much about coming back to post.
I'

I waited a LONG time to have my myomectomy--Most of the reason I waited so long was due to Dr's trying to push me to have a hysterectomy unnecessarily, & also being unhappy with the skill set of the Dr's when I 1st found out about the fibroids. Arm yourself with research & info before getting another opinion, it's easier not be to intimidated or feel powerless during your consults if you already know what the answers SHOULD be--then it's just a matter of seeing if the Dr is the one for you.

I'm about 2 months post op. I'm so glad I got multiple opinions.
I was told so many times that this was a complicated procedure & I'd probably end up having a hysterectomy anyway, even if it started as a myomectomy--due to the size & type of fibroids I had. I was also told some small fibroids may be left in...because it was complicated...

The surgeon I finally chose thought it was just a very basic myomectomy, straight forward, even before surgery--he didn't understand why I was being told it was a complicated case.
--The difference is the level of experience. No fibroids were left, no complications.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register