IBS Syndrome | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-08-2004, 06:43 PM
IBS Syndrome

There is only one thing I am concerned about with my coming surgery. I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I am worried about constipation after surgery. I have tried several natural remedies in addition to diet and have found that magnesium helps me control my "movements". But I also know that inactivity, pain meds., etc. can cause constipation. Do any of you have helpful tips/advice for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2004, 06:57 PM
IBS Syndrome

I am having the same exact concerns. I know with my previous surgeries - before I had IBS - prune juice worked well with getting things moving. Of course, now it could be diarrhea, instead (that would be a relief, actually, I think!). I plan on drinking prune juice & lots of water and eating plenty of fiber. Oh, and walking, walking, walking - Dad always said don't forget your daily constitutional! LOL

Wish me luck, I'm doing the same for you!
Unread 04-08-2004, 07:07 PM
IBS Syndrome

Yep, that water and the walking are not optional. You are 2 days before me. I will be thinking of you and rejoicing for you.
Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2004, 07:48 PM
me too

I just had surgery too. I had ulcerative colitis for years, which turned into colon cancer, so I had a colectomy in 1996. i use lomotil to control my diarrhea just about every day, and all of that is fine now.

But since surgery tues, the most painful part is i am constipated - I dread eating since my belly swells up and the only thing that seems to help is lots of walking. I tried GasX this afternoon, but I don't notice much difference. And I am definitely getting enough fluids. I need advice too!!!
Unread 04-08-2004, 09:16 PM
IBS Syndrome

Things that help with constipation that I have been told or used:
High-fiber foods include beans, whole grains and bran cereals, fresh fruits, and vegetables such as asparagus, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and carrots. For people prone to constipation, limiting foods that have little or no fiber, such as ice cream, cheese, meat, and processed foods, is also important.Other changes that can help treat and prevent constipation include drinking enough water and other liquids such as fruit and vegetable juices and clear soups, engaging in daily exercise. Eat three meals per day at least 4 hours apart. Frequent feeding keeps your intestines contracting and moving stool along.
Drink at least 32 oz. (one quart) of water per day, not including what you drink at meal time.
Avoid caffeine and alcohol, which deplete body water stores. If you can't avoid these, then match your caffeinated or alcoholic beverage intake with an equal amount of water.
Ginger Snap cookies also aid in constipation, that is "an old wives tale" that my Aunt believed in and used on me as a child, I have used it for myself and other family members and it has worked for us. She also in a worse case senario would grind up fresh ginger and make us take it! Tasted okay, and worked quicker.
It is really an individual thing on diet.
Good Luck!!!!!!!
((((((((((hugs to all!!!!)))))))))))
Linda
Unread 04-08-2004, 10:29 PM
IBS Syndrome

Hi

I can fully understand your concerns where post-op constipation is concerned: I had my hyst over 3 years ago and not only was I dealing with IBS, I also was having rectocele repairs and was very concerned about both the pain constipation could bring and the possible damage to my repairs

I was very pleasantly surprised when I was able to ward off the constipation post-op by following these very simple rules:
  • I drank lots of water, as recommended. However, I found that it was easier on my system to drink my water at room temperature, instead of going for cold water.
  • I walked as recommended. Of course, these weren't long walks or fast walks, but they were frequent. And I know that they helped.
  • I did ask to be taken off any codeine-based meds as soon as I could comfortably stand it. And, for me, it was the third day post-op.
  • I also added enough fibers to my diet to make sure that I wouldn't need stool softeners. This meant having juice, preferably prune juice; favoring bran cereals and adding fruits to my menu.

One thing I wanted to mention is that it's important to check with your doctor before taking any over the counter meds, including natural products. This is especially important before having surgery, since the meds could be contraindicated and could result in either delaying your surgery or in serious complications.

Sending lots of s your way and wishing you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register