Lavh VS Tvh | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-13-2004, 06:43 PM
Lavh VS Tvh

Hello ,
Maybe someone who has had one can explain. I am scheduled for a laproscopic assted vaginal hys on the 19 of Oct . I am Just wonder ing if the term lavh or tvh is the same or different? I will be having both overies and cervix out as well. Help I am new here.!!!!!! I just dont know the difference.

Ps. I keep going round and round obout keeping my cervix.. OH no !!!! Missy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Lavh VS Tvh

I got a book before my LAVH/BSO about the different options and types of hysterectomies. My understanding is that with a TVH everything is done through the vagina. There is no incisions on the outside, Drs. find it convenient (whatever that means), and the recovery is supposed to be easier. BUT there may be a higher incidence of shortening the vagina (same as with a LAVH). With a LAVH there is laparoscope attached to a video monitor to view organs during the surgery. There are three small (about 2-3 inches) incisions made. The cost is a little higher and slight risk to the bladder and urinary tract. Good luck with making an informed choice. I wish you a painfree, quick recovery.
Meg
Unread 10-13-2004, 07:22 PM
Lavh VS Tvh

Hi missymuff,

A TVH is a vaginal hysterectomy. A LAVH is a vaginal hysterectomy, assisted by laparoscope, This means that your doctor will be making anywhere from 2 to 4 tiny incisions, to insert the scope, and the instruments This enables the doctor to see inside your abdominal cavity more easily.

I found the following article by searching in the Hyster Sister's Resource Library:

http://www.ohanlan.com/laparoscop.htm

I hope this helps.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Lavh VS Tvh

TVH is total vaginal hysterectomy. LAVH is laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy. BSO is Bilateral (both sides) Salpingo (tubes) Oophorectomy (removal of the ovary). In both cases, the cervix is removed as well because you cannot remove the uterus thru the vagina without significantly damaging the cervix as well. If you want to keep your cervix, TVH and LAVH may not be an option.

The difference between LAVH and TVH is that in LAVH, the surgeon uses a laproscope to view the abdominal cavity, severe the ligaments and support structures of the uterus (and ovaries if a BSO is also performed), and then remove the uterus (and ovaries) thru the vagina. The LAVH takes a bit longer, involves 3 (sometimes 4) small incisions in the abdomen, but gives the surgeon better access to the organs. Not all surgeons who do TVH also do LAVH as it takes considerable training to use the laproscope. And not all women are candidates for TVH or LAVH...that decision is usually made by the surgeon.

The advantage to both LAVH and TVH is that a large abdominal incision is avoided, the hospital stay is shorter, and the recovery is usually quicker.

I'm very glad that LAVH was an option for me. My recovery was quick, I had little pain, and was back to "normal" in a matter of a few weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register