Hives & Itch | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Hives & Itch

Hi All, I'm new here. I have had hives now since 10-19-07. I have had 3 anaphylactic reactions in one week. The Dr. couldn't tell me why. I seen my OB-Gyn for problems w/ my period that started in Sept. Now they think my hives are being caused my the cyst I have. I don't know anyone that has gone thu menopause. All the women in my family (deceased now) have had Hysterectomys. I only have my 23 year old daughter for female support, & as for my friends none of them have reached this point yet. I keep getting all these weird sysdroms. I feel like I'm going crazy. I have been out of work now since Dec. 06. because I started feeling ill. Next week Friday I am going in for a discogram. Can my back trouble be part of this as well? I have so many questions, only a few to answer. But, of course I never remember all of them when I get to the Dr. I write them down, but of course I never get them all in.
And on a personal note Thank You for this wonderful, helpful site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Hives & Itch

Hi Kathy,

Hives are generally caused by an allergic reaction to something. I would suggest you see an allergist to determine what is causing your hives. Are you scheduled for a hysterectomy? I'm curious to know why your doctor would think you're getting hives from a cyst.

Tracy
Unread 12-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Hives & Itch

Allergic reactions are strange things. I developed 40 new allergies when I moved from Indianapolis. My allergist said that regional shifts can do that. I think nerves can also cause psychosomatic hives and allergy problems. I have no proof for that, but I find that when I'm really nervous I have many more problems with my allergies than when I'm not. In fact, right now I'm going through some stress because of ongoing problems with a head injury sustained on Thanksgiving and have a rash on my chest that I've never experienced before. I've also been having trouble with eye itchiness, tearing, redness, and irritation.

Have you switched any household products lately, say cleaners or laundry products? Sometimes those will cause allergic reactions. If you're getting anaphylactic I'm guessing that something very strong and frequently around you is causing this problem. Try thinking if you've changed your routine, and definitely see an allergist. Mine has been a lifesaver. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Hives & Itch

Hi....I feel for you...I have had hives/welts since about the same time as you...last year I developed them in July and they lasted until October...3 rounds of steroids finally knocked them out.....the allergist could not find anything specific and they have me on Claritan, Singulair, Zyrtec and a stomach histamine blocker, Zantac....none of these helped in my opinion.....the weird thing with my hives, which come out as welts that itch like crazy, is that they will come out in the middle of the night and wherever they are on one side of my body, they are on the other side and change location everyday and disappear in the afternoon.they are symmetrical...so, if they come out on my outer thigh one day they will also be on the other thigh, the next day maybe both eyes will have hives...I also have some pain, sometimes...a few times, say for instance when they came out on both wrists, I had a lot of pain in my wrists the day before...the doc said it is from the tissue swelling.....so now when they came out this year, I thought I would go crazy...I did not want to go on steroids again, but I had been taking all those allergy meds to no avail.....finally after they came out on both my cheeks and lips I opted for the steroids.....I have now gained 30 lbs in the 3 weeks I have been on them...I am finally off of them in 3 days and I pray they do not come back....so far there are no answers as to why with mine....doc says I can live with them or go on the predisone to see if we can knock them out.....I never had an anaphylatic reaction and my doctor thinks I won't but gave me an eppy pen in case......he says sometimes there are no answers...if you google acute urticaria there are alot of articles you can read about hives and such.....some people have them for years...I believe they may be stress related at times also...but my doctor thinks that my body may also be making too many histamines????.....I hope you have better luck finding out something specific...I wish I could...I now look like a bloated up chipmunk...but I tell myself I am lucky as it could be something worse
Unread 12-28-2007, 07:39 PM
hives & itch

I'm sorry I must have not been clear enough. I have had trouble w/ my period for years now. But, this past Sept. it got really really bad. Bleed for 16 days heavly. The Dr. did all the usual test. only found cyst. which is normal. Then this past Oct. (the same day I got my period) I broke out w/ the Hives & had 3 anaphylatic reaction That same week. The Allergist can't seem to find what the problem is. I have been on everything. Still no relief. Well 2 weeks ago I went to my OB-GYN he looked up my chart & seen all these weird things going on w/ me. He believes that my body is reacting to all the cyst. But, that there is nothing he can do to stop the hives just yet. That is why I will be scduled for a TVH after the hoildays. my hives seem to get worst when I get my period.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register