TAH questions, worrying about recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH questions, worrying about recovery TAH questions, worrying about recovery

Unread 03-19-2013, 06:28 PM
TAH questions, worrying about recovery

Hi,
I am having a TAH on May 6th due to pre-cancer. I am not so much worried about the surgery itself, but about the recovery. I have a baby who will be 11 months at the time of the surgery and a 14 yr old, and an 11 year old. My husband will only be able to take the 1st week off work. After that, I'm not sure what will happen. I'm not sure what to expect as to being able to take care of my baby.

What is the weight restriction on what you can lift and how long is it?

I've read that you tire easily during recovery. About at what point do you think would be reasonable that I should be able to resume taking care of the baby again?

Also, I believe my doctor said I will be in the hospital for 48 hrs. Has anybody else had that short of time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Re: TAH questions, worrying about recovery

Hello Jokano. I had my TAH on Feb 18th. My weight restriction from the very beginning has been lees than 25lbs, with that said MOST women are restricted to a gallon of milk....it depends on your DR. I am currently 4,5 weeks out and still tire easily. I would say resuming feeding and light playing with the baby by 10 days might be possible, but no bending, stretching, or lifting (have the older kids help). My husband was only here the first week, we have older boys 16 and 17 BUT a 7 month old puppy as well. Husband works second leaving me 1.5 hours at home alone with the fur baby....he was crated for that time for the first 15 days. I had surgery on a Monday morning and was home early Wednesday morning. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I hope this helped! Good Luck!
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:43 PM

Do talk with your doctor - they have other patients with babies of various ages and weights. I am at 4 weeks, and while I am certainly feeling stronger this week, I still tire easily and need more rest. You are going to want help while you rolder children are in school - especially the second week and even after that, being solo with your baby may still be too much -- she may not want to rest as much as you. Do you have firends, family or a faith community that can help? I have a 10 lbs weight limit for the first 6 weeks. Some ladies have posted that their doc let them pick up their babies after 10 days, but they still needed help durign the day. My tummy is still quite sore and I can't imagine having full time care of a baby for 8-9 hrs a day -- I would be exhausted! Your husband is taking sick leave, right? This kind of leave is sick leave-worthy! Maybe he can swing a little more time if the worry was using up vacation time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2013, 03:09 AM

Unfortunately I do not have any family close by. I have a few friends, but I'm not sure they would be up for taking care of a baby. I do believe my husband is taking sick leave AND cutting into vacation time. I really wish it was summer time because I could count on my 11 yr old to help me with him. She helps me now when I am exhausted and need a nap. What about driving restrictions? When is the typical release to be able to drive?
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:51 AM

I was released at my 10 day post op IF I felt I could STOMP on the brake pedal with NO pain. In the next few days I made very short trips and they were exhausting. I am now back to regular driving. I will say I was behind the wheel last week for an hour and that was still very exhausting.
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:55 AM

I have a weight limit of term pds...i spent 4 days in hospital.. Ugh!! By the second week i felt stronger.. I'm in my 3rd week now.. Little pain is still there... Motrin does the trick.. Couldn't imagine lifting a baby.. I have a ten pd puppy and he is very difficult to lift.. Recovery has been good so far...resumed dring at two weeks.. and i still tire easily...i do agree with earlier posts though..if your husband can take at least two weeks of f that would help you a great deal.. I was fortunate to have my mother in law come help cuz husband couldn't take time off due to finances..she took care of me with meals and my four dogs...
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:12 AM

I had a TAH and I had a 10 pound weight limit for 6 weeks, no driving for 2, I waited almost 3, and the usual no bending etc. I don't know how people manage with a baby. Also if you are taking pain meds, they make you tired and a bit out of it, hope you can get some back up, maybe some school moms? If people know they will help, it can be hard to ask.
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKANO View Post
Unfortunately I do not have any family close by. I have a few friends, but I'm not sure they would be up for taking care of a baby. I do believe my husband is taking sick leave AND cutting into vacation time. I really wish it was summer time because I could count on my 11 yr old to help me with him. She helps me now when I am exhausted and need a nap. What about driving restrictions? When is the typical release to be able to drive?
You are going to have to find help. Someone mentioned about pain meds -- they will influence your judgement and so will just your body's tiredness. It took a while to feel steady on my feet and not shakey. I just hit 4 weeks and my brain function still isn't a 100% yet! Also, you will not be able to drive for at least 2 weeks, and not at all until after you are off percription pain meds. I wasn't ready until just over 3 weeks - and it was tiring - you will feel every bump in the road! Do you have a relative who could come for a helping visit? I know my mom has traveled to help my siblings with their little ones - even if she has to take time off - and she does it with great joy even though it is a monetary sacrifice. And, I hate to offer this suggestion, because it sounds like you are a stay-at-home mom, but you may need to look into temporary day care for a few weeks --- a few weeks will not scar anyone and it will allow you all the rest you will need. Is there a risk of cancer or can you reschedule for summer break? Prayer you can find help!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register