Scheduled TVH No Bowel Prep? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Bowel Prep? No Bowel Prep?

Unread 08-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Re: No Bowel Prep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybug02 View Post
When I asked about the bowel prep she said the Doctor did not say I had to do that? Every post I have seen on here says that is a pre-op requirement?
A bowel prep is not a requirement for everyone and each woman should follow her doctor's instructions for her. There are pros and cons with doing/not doing the prep so each surgeon has to determine what is best for each patient. Additionally, the surgeon will expect the patient to have followed instructions and surgical plans will be made accordingly. If the patient does not follow the instructions, she can actually endanger her life.

If you have doubts, double check with your doctor.

I did not have to do a prep for my first lap or my hysterectomy. Interestingly enough, my bowels did better following those surgeries than the last lap where I did have to a prep. And for what it is worth, my prep was very similar to what I had to do for my colonoscopy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2012, 06:40 PM

my doctor does not recommend a bowel prep, because it causes an electrolyte imbalance (you lose potassium in the bowel cleansing) which can cause heart rhythm problems. Also, ironically, bowel preps can increase the infection risk. I was told that I could do a Fleets enema to clean out the lower bowel, but other than a clear liquid diet 24 hours before, there is no other prep for me.
Unread 08-10-2012, 02:12 AM

My Dr said no need for bowel prep either. Just wait for the hospital to call either tomorrow or monday.. Show up on the time they give me on Tuesday. NPO for 12 hrs before the surgery. That's all I know as of right now.. When the hospital calls I guess I will know more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2012, 10:04 AM

I had no bowel prep, either. Just instructions not to eat or drink anything (not even water) after 10 p.m. the night of the surgery.

I did decide to eat lightly the day before the surgery, just so my first BMs wouldn't be as bad--I'm really glad I did!
Unread 08-10-2012, 10:20 AM

I had no bowel prep either for an abdominal hyst with known bowel adhesions. My surgeon said the prep knocked you around too much especially potassium balance which could lead to heart problems. The ladies having bowel preps get a different fluid IV which restores potassium. So it is very important to do what your own doctor says so they have the correct IV set up for you. It is also easier for your bowels to return to normal if they are left alone beforehand. I have not had to take any stool softeners or laxatives at all post surgery. Just kept to plenty water and fibre and that side of things was ok. Still some pain at the moment but that seems to happen with nearly everyone at first. Good luck.
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:01 AM

No bowel prep for me either and was told recent research says it doesn't really make a difference and hasn't been done in our province for a while. Had a TAH just over 3 weeks ago, no food or drink after midnight before surgery and light meals prior.

Good luck
Unread 08-12-2012, 04:36 PM

I didn't have to do a bowel prep. I was so concerned, that I asked 3 different people. I read through my dr.s instructions several times. The only thing it said was no food or drink after 11 pm. I woke up at 11:30 very thirsty. Too bad I hadn't woken up earlier. I ate lightly for a couple of days before surgery. I was too stressed to be hungry, and I opted for light food. I consider myself lucky to not have to go through That step.
Unread 08-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Hmm..I'm doing my bowel prep right now as I read this post and getting a little nervous because I already have heart arrhythmia issues and the last thing I want is for them to act up during surgery. My gyn does them because like an earlier post said, they're working very close to the intestines and if something is nicked, it's easier to fix if the bowels aren't full. I also have large fibroids which cause my uterus to lay on my large intestine so I know my surgery will be working in some delicate areas.

Guess this is just another question I need to add to my pre-op list for the surgeon and anesthesiologist.

For what it's worth, having had both this prep and the one for the colonoscopy, the latter is WAY worse!
Unread 08-12-2012, 04:58 PM

To echo Weiser - sometimes bowel preps are required, and sometimes they are not. It is based on your surgery and your doctor's preference. I had a TAH BSO due to large ovarian cyst and uterine fibroids. There was also a cancer potential. My doctor wanted me to do a bowel prep.

One thing you HAVE to do is follow your doctor's instructions. If your doctor did not ask you to do a bowel prep, DO NOT DO ONE. If your doctor did ask you to do a bowel prep, DO ONE using the method prescribed - magnesium citrate, or whatever method they list. This is VERY, VERY IMPORTANT. I have read of one post about a woman who did a bowel prep when her doctor did not want her to do one and she ended up with lots of complications. So, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE follow all of your doctors instructions to the letter.

Unread 08-12-2012, 06:15 PM

I didn't have to do a bowel prep. The hospital called me the Thursday before my surgery which was on Monday.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register