5 months and still have swelly belly | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 months and still have swelly belly 5 months and still have swelly belly

Unread 06-06-2006, 12:37 AM
5 months and still have swelly belly

Hi all!!! I just wanted to know if anyone else has a belly that looks like you're 4-5 months pregnant. Some mornings it looks better than others. I haven't tried situps yet. My doctor (4 week post op visit) told me not to start sit ups because it was scar tissue/muscles reattaching. I can't stand sit ups so I wasn't to broken hearted about not doing them. I've tried on clothes and have to go up a size because of my belly. Help!!!
Has anyone out there had this problem and how did you solve it??????
Tuliplover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2006, 03:05 AM

Hi there

I also battle with the dreaded swelly belly for months and months after. My doc said, start situps after 6 months, but slowly and carefully. Maybe see if you can sign up for Pilates but take this slowly as well. According to my doc, it can take up to 1 year to recover properly. Go easy on yourself.

Hugs
Unread 06-06-2006, 06:11 AM

At 3 months I still get swelly belly when I overdo activities. My dh even reminds me to rest or I'll have swelly belly tomorrow! Walking seems to help me. I have started to do yoga which feels really good to those under used abdominal muscles. I'm always reminding myself that it's not that I'm a big fat blob - I did have abdominal surgery! It takes time to get everything back to where it should be. My shorts are a big size. On days when my belly is "normal" I roll the waist band down to keep them on. A sense of humor helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2006, 06:36 AM

At 6 months I still get swelly belly after doing too much, but it usually goes away by the next morning. It is much better in the past month, and I think it just takes time. I tried doing sit ups earlier on (4 - 5 months) and my belly was just too sore and caused more swelling. We are all different, but for some of us (me included!), the healing process is just slower. Hang in there sweetie!
Unread 06-06-2006, 09:59 AM

I had my surgery Feb 2nd and I still have swelly belly too. Walking does help but just standing or just sitting make it awful. I either have to be moving or laying down. Plus the 15# I have put on since surgery is not making me happy either. I feel kinda helpless in the looks dept right now
Unread 06-06-2006, 10:09 AM

Thanks so much for everyone's input! I will hang in there. It is nice to know that I'm not the only one going through this. I'm walking and I joined Curves last month. There are a couple of machines that I absolutely can't stand to do.(abdomen exercises) I'll go easy on them. I've got a pilates tape that I'm going to start on again.
Thanks again!!!
tuliplover
Unread 06-06-2006, 04:37 PM

yeah...the famous swelly belly.....still hanging on...i tried the sit ups at 2 months but i also found that they were making me sore with a little pain so i gave them up again...i still think i look like im 4 months pregnant but i guess we have to think of it as a war fought and won and the battle scar still healing...hang in there
Unread 06-06-2006, 06:20 PM

I am 4 months out and still have a swollen stomach. All of my clothes fit differently. Some days, it bothers me a lot and then, on other days, I just deal with it. Walking helps a lot and I rest a lot after I get home from work.

It is very frustrating, but then I remind myself that it is a 'small' problem compared to the pain (from endo) I had before my surgery.
Unread 06-07-2006, 05:33 PM

Hey sisters:
I am still kinda swelly. I had to get some pants one size bigger to be comfortable, although my weight is just 4-5 lbs above normal for me. I follow the regular pattern, fine in the morning and later in the day, bulbous. Also, my upper thighs swell too and it looks like water weight. This is something I didn't have before the surgery. Even with a very large uterus, I was not shaped like this before the surgery. I have not really adjusted to the changes and have hope that it will pass. I did think that being more active this summer would solve the problem, but the more active, the more swollen. So much for that theory.
Still...this is not painful and I am so happy to have had the surgery. I have not had one regret. Not one.
The Next 50 Years

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register