PAP or no PAP | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PAP or no PAP PAP or no PAP

Unread 04-25-2009, 01:46 PM
PAP or no PAP

I an having my cervix removed and some here say I will never need another pap and I have also heard that you will still need paps.because you still have the cells
I was wondering do you need one or dont you need one ?????
this is getting confusing.thanks for your help I love this site and I love you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Re: PAP or no PAP

You'll still need an annual vaginal exam. Whether or not you'll need an annual pap test is something you'll want to discuss with your own doctor.

In 2002 the American Cancer Society stated that a woman who has had a total hysterectomy does not need annual pap tests. If you still have your cervix, if you had your surgery for a cancerous or pre-cancerous condition or if you've had bad paps in the past, you will need an annual pap test.

There is a very good Hystersisters Article on this subject and you can find it by clicking the link below.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_97146.htm

Your doctor can make the decision based on your own medical history.
Unread 04-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Re: PAP or no PAP

When I was at my six-week post op appointment last week, my surgeon said there was no reason to have one anymore, except to check for vaginal cancer, which is really rare. I will discuss it with my GP next time, but I can't see having one if it isn't necessary.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register