TAH Cold vs Hot? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Cold vs Hot?

Hey Everyone,

Everyone seems to be talking about hot flashes, but I've been cold. There have been times I'm so cold my feet actually ache.

My husband, bless him, is a walking blast furnace and still invites me cuddle up when I'm cold like this. He says he can feel me sucking the heat off of him even before we touch.

My blood work before and immediately after surgery all came back normal. The doctor says checking for hormones now would not be helpful since hormone levels are probably fluctuating wildly.

Anyone else suffering from cold flashes rather than hot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Re: Cold vs Hot?

I froze until 6 weeks post op. My feet were the coldest. Wore my coat around the house. Much better now. I always forgot to ask Dr everytime I went in but I suspect it was harmones.
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:53 PM

Before I got my hormone levels figured out, I had issues with night sweats, but now that I don't have that issue, I have noticed that I get cold much more easily than I used to. My feet especially. And it seems like no matter what I do, I just can't get them to warm up!! I was even like that in the summer time. I could wear my flip flops during the day, but as soon as that sun went down, I had to put on socks and shoes!!...and I was STILL cold!!!

I was actually hoping menopause would make me warmer, but it looks like it did the opposite!

Isn't it odd how we are all affected in different ways??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2012, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the relies! It helps to know I'm not totally crazy I never connected being frozen to menopause. I think I would welcome hot flashes instead of this perpetual hypothermia. I'm sure those with hot flashes would disagree.
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:18 PM

My legs and feet get very cold as well. At night, I wrap my feet up in the blanket!! Nothing helps!! I'd rather have cold feet than to feel like I am in an oven.
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:19 PM

I am having both, 2 weeks post op. One minute I am wrapped in my robe with goose bumbps and the next I am going outside in my nightgown!
Unread 01-25-2012, 05:42 PM

For the first week I was having hot flashes like crazy and then suddenly I began feeling cold all the time and have been wearing thick socks, flannel pants and a hooded sweat shirt around the house but have to only wear a tank when I go to bed because despite being cold when I go to sleep I wake up sweating.

I hate that others are experiencing it too but at least I know that I am not alone. When I asked my GYN about it he confirmed that some women feel cold rather than hot as a symptom of menopause.
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:13 PM

I've been having problem with cold flashes too. I've always been a little cold-sensitive, but it is worse following surgery. Usually during the winter, I wear 2 layers, but now I'm wearing 3.
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:14 PM

I myself have both. One min I'm freezing and can't get warm for the life of me. Then the next on melting from the inside out. Not the best experience I've dealt with but working on figuring out how to help it. Good luck on ur recovery and god bless
Unread 01-25-2012, 11:48 PM

I'm so glad to read this. I've always been warm natured, wearing only the lightest of jackets in the dead of winter. But since my surgery (1/13/12) I find that I'm freezing all the time. I'm wearing sweatshirts and thick fuzzy socks around the house (unheard of pre-op) and had to put 2 extra blankets on my bed because I was so cold at night. This is on my list of things to discuss with my dr at my 2 wk appt, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's "backward" lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register